Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Sunday's Screaming Southeaster

CT Rain

1 hour ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Nice. What that run you? I’m in the market for one.

We bought a house in Southbury, closing next month. It’s wired for generator hookup and one of the first things, even my wife said, is to get a genny.   Electricity is a beautiful thing, people often forget how difficult it is to live without it. 

Yeah nothing worse than flipping a light switch and have nothing happen.  It's such second instinct to walk into a dark room and hit the wall switch.  Even knowing you have no power it's hard not to do that.

Power out really sucks.  I'm hoping maybe tomorrow but could be Thursday or Friday.  Glad I bailed to Albany for the time being.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah nothing worse than flipping a light switch and have nothing happen.  It's such second instinct to walk into a dark room and hit the wall switch.  Even knowing you have no power it's hard not to do that.

Lol, I can't tell you how many times I did that the last few days. Just got power back! Good luck to the rest of you.

2 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Chances of it happening are higher than it first appears. 

Break down of civil society in SNE would be likely in such a storm. Probably a month or more without power, disrupted just-in-time food supply, runs on cash and gas, possible corrupted water supplies etc. And with a few prior systems that maybe didn't live up to predicted intensity, there may be apathy in the preparations. It will be horrendous.

2 minutes ago, Hoth said:

Break down of civil society in SNE would be likely in such a storm. Probably a month or more without power, disrupted just-in-time food supply, runs on cash and gas, possible corrupted water supplies etc. And with a few prior systems that maybe didn't live up to predicted intensity, there may be apathy in the preparations. It will be horrendous.

Grocery stores have 3-7 days of food if there is truly a disaster situation where supply lines are cut.  Such a number is probably inaccurate as people would be very selfish as well as fearful, hoarding more than they would need.  It's always good to keep some freeze dried / MRE's for emergencies.

35 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

Eversource came to girlfriend's place and said she might get to this on Thursday...but that the work would take a few days, so she's looking at maybe sometime over the weekend. This is her car and her mother's car.  Note the power lines behind the car.  Sh*t got real for her neighborhood with this.

20171030_173215.jpg

20171030_173226.jpg

20171030_173333.jpg

Damn

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Is this storm over yet?

I definitely underestimated this one.  

It'll be remembered in Stowe for a long time.

The town has some of the best mountain biking around and it's gone..."obliterated" is the phrase the local mountain bike club used.

Microburst style damage through the woods around Stowe.

22861817_836483923143407_585436202100161

23000425_836484026476730_140075360636916

23004693_836488829809583_169091199975508

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I definitely underestimated this one.  

It'll be remembered in Stowe for a long time.

The town has some of the best mountain biking around and it's gone..."obliterated" is the phrase the local mountain bike club used.

Microburst style damage through the woods around Stowe.

22861817_836483923143407_585436202100161

23000425_836484026476730_140075360636916

23004693_836488829809583_169091199975508

Cady Hill?  I can only imagine what the tree skiing will be like, or even if it will be possible at all, if it hit the higher elevations like that too.

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

They did . But there seemed to be bad forecasts leading up to it while weenies could see what was going to happen days before 

Yea I  was more than once accused of hyping Friday and Saturday by people pointing to NWS maps. Critical time was Friday before the weekend when people check out. My neighbor with a baby had no clue. Told me today he didn't find out until Sunday.  He didn't have a Gennie so we helped them out. Lol he went to Manchester to buy one today and as we were talking lineman were doing repair. He asked me if he should hook it up, said no. 5 minutes later power came on. 

34 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Have you been up on the mountain?

No.  My hope is that those trees can take the beating.  They do ice storms and high wind but hopefully they can take these winds.  

I heard a lot was blown down on the low/mid-slopes of MWN along the Tuckerman trail on another forum.

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

No.  My hope is that those trees can take the beating.  They do ice storms and high wind but hopefully they can take these winds.  

I heard a lot was blown down on the low/mid-slopes of MWN along the Tuckerman trail on another forum.

Yikes my Wildcat hidden trail for the loss

32 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Don't see a problem with this after verification

That map was actually not that bad, I agree...there were several others though that were much worse...esp back into the interior...and the worse ones were much closer in than that map on 10/27 12z run. It seemed the wind gust maps got less accurate the closer we got to the event.

13 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

I wonder if you guys had truly higher winds like 65+ or was it just 50-65 stuff in combo with wet ground. It's unusual for you guys to have high winds, so throw that on tall trees and wet ground..you have a mess.

I had higher winds during Sandy. I think it was a combination of longer duration from a more constant direction, along with softer ground. But after driving around today, there's NO doubt, the number of trees felled by this storm FAR surpassed anything since mid 90(s). I really can't remember how many trees were down during Bob/Gloria.

Huge mature trees, oaks, maples, pines, didn't matter other than they probably had some internal weakness or other stress, uniqueness that caused them to topple. Many of them across power lines. I'm still out of power and all they have done so far is remove the tree. Rt. 133 is STILL closed. It's a main route into Lowell from the southeast.

Archived