Sunday's Screaming Southeaster

CT Rain

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Memorable is subjective.

You have the right to your opinion.

But the huge winds over a wide area that many were predicting did not materialize. The cape largely underperformed btw.

You don't have the right to an opinion in that regard because its simply fact-

Million without power, meh

1 hour ago, butterfish55 said:
2 hours ago, Lava Rock said:
$11,000+ for two walls??? I'd take a gennny over that with LP as fuel.

I know...they're a fortune. Would be cool to have them and be completely off the electric grid. A couple years they'll be more reasonable.

I priced out a simple backup system using lead acid batteries some years ago and it ends up costing a fortune before you account for maintenance even.  In context those powerwalls are a great deal.  If you have the panels already it would be very tempting.  My dream system for my location is a whole home backup system running on Natural Gas.  I don't think it will ever happen as packup power is one of those things that always gets deferred for me and my current setup is OK.

I used the small 800w quiet inverter generator I got for the first time last night and was really happy with that.  The UPS system I use for my PC + Monitor actually works with it, so during an outage I can fire that up and plug the ups into it so at least my one computer station can run continuously.  We have a 5000W gas generator too, but it hasn't seen much use yet.  For a longer outage I should conceivably be able to use it for fridge/water/furnace.

14 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Between the flooding, power outages, top 10 wind gusts at PWM, and widespread 50+ knot gusts at the ASOSs, I would say this is an historic event for the GYX CWA.

The further you go from the usual wind belts, the more memorable it was generally speaking...winds performed decently where they usually do not.

It was pretty much an Irene ir Sandy where I am...which isn't that bad.

9 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Planning on borrowing a bunch of ice packs from work and putting all/most of freezer food into coolers. They say online that if refrig has been w/out power for >4hrs, most of the perishables are to be thrown out. It's been 12hrs now, so I assume a lot of wasted food to throw out.

Just did exactly this. Sucks. 

29 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Between the flooding, power outages, top 10 wind gusts at PWM, and widespread 50+ knot gusts at the ASOSs, I would say this is an historic event for the GYX CWA.

Is there a threadex available anywhere online that has highest gusts for each station? That's always been a variable that is annoyingly hard to find.

25 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Perhaps if you demonstrate a pronounced ability to think critically, you'll appreciate that there were antecedent conditions at play that factored into that.

Again....impressive event. Not debating that.

Okay, Ray. We're all inferior to the "intellectuals" 

I should not be as impressed with this storm because saturated ground played into outages? Please.

Here to enjoy fun weather. Not prove that I am more knowledgeable than anyone else. 

Keep it classy

1 minute ago, sbos_wx said:

Okay, Ray. We're all inferior to the "intellectuals" 

I should not be as impressed with this storm because saturated ground played into outages? Please.

Here to enjoy fun weather. Not prove that I am more knowledgeable than anyone else. 

Keep it classy

If you had actually read the post in question,  I wasn't referring to myself as intellectual, but why let facts start clouding perception now.

4 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Most people will forget this in a week or two.

Let this be a lesson to those who thought that twelve different factors would fall into place correctly.

LLJ, decaying TS, inversion, convection mixing things up....blah.

Give me a hurricane tracking to my west.

This was a nice event...don't mind not being without power.

A million without power forgotten, yea no

47 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Planning on borrowing a bunch of ice packs from work and putting all/most of freezer food into coolers. They say online that if refrig has been w/out power for >4hrs, most of the perishables are to be thrown out. It's been 12hrs now, so I assume a lot of wasted food to throw out.

Know any neighbors with large chest freezers? We have one and if the power's out for a while, our neighbor's start knocking on the door. During the ice storm, I stored 2 or 2 neighbor's frozen food. 

If you end up with a homeowner's claim, the lost food can be added into that. 

All I can say is that I'm glad we had our roof redone this fall! It really needed it and instead of just picking up lots of branches, I'm sure I would have been finding shingles on the lawn too.

3 hours ago, MaineJayhawk said:

Seeing wild stuff on social media ... entire trees flowing down rivers in the mountains.  Somebody saw a snowmobile tumble past.

Some are just unreal in their assessments based on their backyard.  I traveled about 100 miles today and wow. The most impressive were the poles snapped at the base in Narragansett.  

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

Some are just unreal in their assessments based on their backyard.  I traveled about 100 miles today and wow. The most impressive were the poles snapped at the base in Narragansett.  

More school closings around here again..and up in Merrimack valley. I definitely noticed areas tha looked like nothing happen, and then around my house which had some good trees and tree limbs down. My neighbors screen room (one of those portable ones) was torn to sh*t.

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

More school closings around here again..and up in Merrimack valley. I definitely noticed areas tha looked like nothing happen, and then around my house which had some good trees and tree limbs down. My neighbors screen room (one of those portable ones) was torn to sh*t.

My drive from Holliston to Quincy was pretty lackluster for damage except a very small pocket near Dover which had a lot more larger branches down...there definitely must have been some gravity waves or convective elements which created the inconsistency in damage. It's probably also the only way to explain TAN gusting higher than MQE.

8 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

My drive from Holliston to Quincy was pretty lackluster for damage except a very small pocket near Dover which had a lot more larger branches down...there definitely must have been some gravity waves or convective elements which created the inconsistency in damage. It's probably also the only way to explain TAN gusting higher than MQE.

I cut through Quincy and there were some trees down, but not bad. I didn't drive around much and probably not as bad as TAN, but definitely messy in spots around the neighborhood. If I go a few blocks over, I didn't even see a branch down. Of course it is down the hill, but interesting. Probably typical of 50-60 stuff I would guess or a few ticks higher.

28 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

All the damage was east in SECT or north of me into high country. Even at work along the water in Norwalk, nothing to take pics of. Drove around during lunch about 10 miles each way and not much besides small limbs down. I was expecting more down this way. 

Tons of damage in C CT and east both south and north 

Archived