Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Sunday's Screaming Southeaster

CT Rain

3 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

We spoke of this before the event....some areas would be memorable, but for the vast majority of the region?

No.

Agai...not complaining.

I was satisfied.

Its not that bad around here, Scott...I live near the Merrimack Valley, the GF in Andover.

I saw a tree down, but its forgettable.

Still forgetting my power is out.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

The Mashpee report is wow worthy....but not sure about that.

Just now, weatherwiz said:

per the NWS tweet I believe they confirmed it based on radar presentation at the time the gust occurred. 

Yeah could have been a localized element that mixed down with some convection or what not. Still surprised that the rest of the Cape did not get gusts that were a good 10-15 knots higher though.

5 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I think the model output wind gust forecasts also swayed some in a certain direction, similar to the model snowfall maps.  Too many read these outputs like they're supposed to be taken literally and it causes people to use a lack of meteorology and understanding of the situation.

FWIW the wind gusts here ended up just about what the euro ensemble mean was for most of the runs.  Many like to focus on only the most extreme outputs.

3 minutes ago, bobbutts said:

FWIW the wind gusts here ended up just about what the euro ensemble mean was for most of the runs.  Many like to focus on only the most extreme outputs.

Yeah, that is very true...it happens in snowfall too...the guidance forecast might be 12-20 inches of snow but if you get a lot of 12-15 inch reports and only a few 20s, then it might be viewed as more of a bust than it really was by guidance...since everyone obsesses over the high numbers.

I will say though that the OP Euro definitely overestimated things a bit on the whole if we are going by the gust product. It had pretty widespread 60 knot gusts where basically none were reported. You could probably chop off about 20% of what it was outputting and the forecast would have been reasonably accurate.

8 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

We spoke of this before the event....some areas would be memorable, but for the vast majority of the region?

No.

Again...not complaining.

I was satisfied.

Its not that bad around here, Scott...I live near the Merrimack Valley, the GF in Andover.

I think this is right. Some of the damage was definitely attributed to foliage and saturated ground. ASH gusted to 42 kts and LWM gusted to 44 kts which is pretty good for the MV but doesn't even verify the high wind warning. This was a wind advisory type event here but conditions were ripe for some trees to fall. It wasn't that bad here either. 

Saw a lot of 65+ mph talk on social media and local news sites around here. The general public definitely didn't take the under. 

10 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Probably depends on where you live. Sounds like in some spots who have damage and no power for a few days..probably will be memorable. Merrimack Valley seemed to be another damage spot. Some pretty good damage around my work in Andover. 

That was probably one of the best combos of wind and rain I can recall. Maybe Feb 16 beats that? But, we had foliage this time around. 

When I was checking the school closings at 5:30AM, my thought was that the MV did pretty well, which is surprising to me.

14 hours ago, Bostonseminole said:

Westerly, RI: Sustained wind: 49 MPH/Gust 67 MPH at 946 PM.

And that's when the power went out for eastern and southern parts of Westerly... Misquamicut, Weekapaug, Dunns Corners, as well as Charlestown... basically everything along Rte. 1, east of Rte. 78 in Westerly to Narragansett.  And it's still out over 12 hours later.   Quite a night...

Just did a tour of the damage. Went down rt 3 past the outlets, then to the gilford lowes (hi eek), and then back to northfield but up our hill via hodgdon rd. By far the worst damage was on the east side of our hill. There’s a telephone pole snapped in half a few houses up from mine. Multiple large pines are down in the hill. Saw the metal roofing ripped off of that apartment building. There was another new house with some wooden roof edging ripped off the front. Didn’t see why but the back road to the Northfield Pines Community center is closed off. There are some huge pines over there by the police station. Saw a few large trees down into the Winni River in Franklin and a large willow tree down almost into the road over in Tilton by the gazebo across from Cumby’s. I expected more damage on the hill of the Laconia bypass but it wasn’t too bad despite a lot of foliage remaining. The wind last night basically put my area into stick season. 

1 minute ago, DomNH said:

I think this is right. Some of the damage was definitely attributed to foliage and saturated ground. ASH gusted to 42 kts and LWM gusted to 44 kts which is pretty good for the MV but doesn't even verify the high wind warning. This was a wind advisory type event here but conditions were ripe for some trees to fall. 

Saw a lot of 65+ mph talk on social media and local news sites around here. The general public definitely didn't take the under. 

Exactly.

It was a great event, but some folks just got carried away.

Sucks to be you.

Indeed!  branches down. Did not see any major damage or trees down on the dog walk this am. But Tewksbury has a lot more damage that I saw around my cousins house off of shawsheen. Hope RMLD gets us back up soon.

11 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

No.

Again...not complaining.

I was satisfied.

We have no power at work and people had to take 93 to get to work from Lowell/Tewkbury. Al back roads were closed. I did notice the damage really had spots that got nailed. Perhaps related to Ginxy G waves or +RA bringing down momentum.

2 minutes ago, RIcoastalWX said:

And that's when the power went out for eastern and southern parts of Westerly... Misquamicut, Weekapaug, Dunns Corners, as well as Charlestown... basically everything along Rte. 1, east of Rte. 78 in Westerly to Narragansett.  And it's still out over 12 hours later.   Quite a night...

we're any planes at Logan landing/taking off at this time? I'm always fascinated how aircraft can fly in such events. Actually, more like glad I'm not the one on the plane.

5 minutes ago, DomNH said:

I think this is right. Some of the damage was definitely attributed to foliage and saturated ground. ASH gusted to 42 kts and LWM gusted to 44 kts which is pretty good for the MV but doesn't even verify the high wind warning. This was a wind advisory type event here but conditions were ripe for some trees to fall. It wasn't that bad here either. 

LWM went out before the good stuff came.

53 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Whoa.. this is a few streets down off of 74 where their power is out. Check out the last picture of the back of the house and window. Looks like the genny torched the whole shed and melted back of the house 

now THAT is damage in Tolland! lol

dummies built a wooden enclosure for the generator, probably hoping to keep the noise down. guess what, the generator has a gas engine, which gets hot when it runs. and when that heat has nowhere to go, the wooden enclosure goes poof!

Exactly.

It was a great event, but some folks just got carried away.

Somebody from a hill top in CT was incredibly excited for 65 mph gusts...none of that verified except down in the SE corner of CT where we figured it would.   I figured most of the products were way over done for the interior as well....so I was not surprised.   Lots and lots of rain though...that part was impressive.  

2 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Does anyone know if the weather station at Silver Ranch Airport in Jaffrey, NH is any good?

Their wind gusts were pretty pathetic.

KASH did pretty well though

AFN always sucks. When everyone else is pulling NW 20G35 with CAA they come in with crap like VRB 10G25. 

Just now, HoarfrostHubb said:

We again see the weenie Euro wind products being passed around, and they as usual overdo things

Because those probably are just weenie algorithms used for it. Like, (srfc wind speed *1.5) or something like that. They are not like BUFKIT who actually use mixing to calculate gusts. Since we cannot get euro soundings, we have no idea how they are calculated. It's probably not the model...it's the weenie behind the algorithms.

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

Because those probably are just weenie algorithms used for it. Like, (srfc wind speed *1.5) or something like that. They are not like BUFKIT who actually use mixing to calculate gusts. Since we cannot get euro soundings, we have no idea how they are calculated. It's probably not the model...it's the weenie behind the algorithms.

The Kuchera of late 2017...

9 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Just did a tour of the damage. Went down rt 3 past the outlets, then to the gilford lowes (hi eek), and then back to northfield but up our hill via hodgdon rd. By far the worst damage was on the east side of our hill. There’s a telephone pole snapped in half a few houses up from mine. Multiple large pines are down in the hill. Saw the metal roofing ripped off of that apartment building. There was another new house with some wooden roof edging ripped off the front. Didn’t see why but the back road to the Northfield Pines Community center is closed off. There are some huge pines over there by the police station. Saw a few large trees down into the Winni River in Franklin and a large willow tree down almost into the road over in Tilton by the gazebo across from Cumby’s. I expected more damage on the hill of the Laconia bypass but it wasn’t too bad despite a lot of foliage remaining. The wind last night basically put my area into stick season. 

You think you saw 60?

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

We have no power at work and people had to take 93 to get to work from Lowell/Tewkbury. Al back roads were closed. I did notice the damage really had spots that got nailed. Perhaps related to Ginxy G waves or +RA bringing down momentum.

I understand there ware considerable power outages...it was acknowledged that it wouldn't take as much as it normally would due to a saturated ground and vestigial foliage.

I'm sure some roads were closed, as again....the aforementioned combination led to some branches and even trees falling, as I saw one.

But I live here.....I think serious damage is pretty isolated.

Archived