Newest Member
    joxey
Sunday's Screaming Southeaster

CT Rain

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Good AM folks.  The amount of damage around the area is phenomenal.  Trees/Limbs everywhere.  Roads closed all over. The winds overnight were the worst I've experienced since moving to our current locale.  Sandy and Irene were tame compared to this.  Those little meso-lows must have tracked right over TAN for the ASOS to pull off a 58kt reading.  Gusts upwards of 50mph and more were common starting around 11pm and continued till about 4am. 2.63" of rain as well. 

Nice... may have over performed down there.

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I stayed up til like 315...up at 730.

Didn't run, though...needed the extra hour.

Driving 8 hours today from Toronto to VT...have a second driver so we can switch off every 2 hours but I would've stayed up if it was just another day at work.

Amazing series so far.

7 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Good AM folks.  The amount of damage around the area is phenomenal.  Trees/Limbs everywhere.  Roads closed all over. The winds overnight were the worst I've experienced since moving to our current locale.  Sandy and Irene were tame compared to this.  Those little meso-lows must have tracked right over TAN for the ASOS to pull off a 58kt reading.  Gusts upwards of 50mph and more were common starting around 11pm and continued till about 4am. 2.63" of rain as well. 

That is amazing for TAN. Must have been over 70 like 20-30' up. 

3 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Wind was whipping...but it wasn't what most of the modeling showed for my area...fell way short.  Lucky if my top gust was close to 40....so a disappointment in that department, but I expected that going in so was prepared for that part.    The Rain was the impressive part...we got Drenched here...got to be 5 inches or a bit more.   

The rain was the big story for us. Should see some 6” amounts when it’s over. Surprisingly though, not many flooding reports so far.

Looks like highest Vermont gust was Wells in Rutland County (downslope off Killington area) with 78mph.  

I'm skeptical because it's MESOWEST but it is in a location where it *could* happen.  I hate that...some of those stations either don't go over 50mph or they freak out and report too high.  But it's plausible so you can't really throw it out truly.

Aside from the 115mph at Mansfield.

3 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Yeah, Rural areas will probably be out the longest.

I'm hopeful but don't like the "power poles snapped" line on my outage at home. 

We live right on the Mountain Road which has all the lodges, hotels, restaurants and the ski resort on that line.  It's always the number 1 priority obviously from an economic standpoint for Stowe Electric but poles take time to mobilize and replace.

8 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Looks like highest Vermont gust was Wells in Rutland County (downslope off Killington area) with 78mph.  

I'm skeptical because it's MESOWEST but it is in a location where it *could* happen.  I hate that...some of those stations either don't go over 50mph or they freak out and report too high.  But it's plausible so you can't really throw it out truly.

Aside from the 115mph at Mansfield.

Wasn't there a big gust in Wells last year or the year before that stood out?  Like 90 mph or something huge like that?

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

I'm hopeful but don't like the "power poles snapped" line on my outage at home. 

We live right on the Mountain Road which has all the lodges, hotels, restaurants and the ski resort on that line.  It's always the number 1 priority obviously from an economic standpoint for Stowe Electric but poles take time to mobilize and replace.

Replacing poles are usually a priority before power can be restored but don't know how they will treat that in your case.

Lost power in Chelmsford around 12:30 AM - interrupted me watching the World Series game.  I'm guessing it will be at least a couple of days before we get power back after scanning the outage map.  I will probably be firing up the generator tonight!  I'm glad I fired it up and changed the oil a few months ago...

5 minutes ago, wackymann said:

Lost power in Chelmsford around 12:30 AM - interrupted me watching the World Series game.  I'm guessing it will be at least a couple of days before we get power back after scanning the outage map.  I will probably be firing up the generator tonight!  I'm glad I fired it up and changed the oil a few months ago...

Wow..I lucked out-

I had a fun ride in this morning.  The main east/west road in town was closed so I had to back roads going over the mountain and I was met with many downed trees.  My folks live in Somers and there were trees down all around them but thankfully not at their house.  They are without power but most of the town has power.  I suspect that several of the towns in that area (East Longmeadow, Hampden, Wilbraham, etc.) had more damage due to a downsloping effect.

Funny story - as the winds were roaring pretty load around 1AM, it woke our dog up and she walked over to the window and started barking at the wind.

Wow, feeling lucky in Portland.  It went out briefly, saw about four transformers explode, power flickered some more but it remained on.  Maybe living next to the fire dept has an advantage

Not so lucky here, Good thing it's not winter, Sitting in my truck charging the cell phone.

Archived