Total Members
    Most Online
    grpigweed
    Newest Member
    grpigweed
2017-2018 Fall/Winter Banter, Whining, Complaining Thread

Powerball

1 hour ago, KokomoWX said:

Speaking for myself, the past two winters have been at 25% of average for snowfall.  Even before that, there have been a lot of misses.  I think the GHD 2011 storm was the start of a string of heartbreaks.  

Add in the complete model mayhem even 48 hours out and it all just grinds my gears.  Model updates and poor winters have many of us unsure of their biases.  

It's been 11 years since I have had a double-digit snowfall.  I just want something to track and verify and for it to not melt a few days later.  

What did you get in the March 2013 and January 2014 storms?  I think those were both double digits for LAF but not by a lot.

2 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Lol you are not the only one that hopes for more. I'm ALWAYS hoping for more. I too have noticed that for whatever reason our subforum does not seem as snow crazy as the other subforums. Which really doesn't make sense, as most of the other subforums see less snow than us. But everyones expectations and viewpoints are different obviously.  For example, the amount of hot days in the summer has not been impressive many times in recent years. Talk to a summer lover and they're always complaining about the lack of heat. According to you it's hot all the time. Talk to a Winter hater, and they will think Chicago is next to the Arctic Circle. But you consider an average winter a D-, and a historic winter like 2013-14 a decent Winter. 

As far as the east coast forums being more snow crazy, I think part of it may be because of storm type.  There's the mentality of always chasing the big dog and they typically won't have to wait as long as us to get it.  And then in the case of the southeast forum, snow is more of a novelty so they are looking for anything they can get.

• Like 1

Stupidly depressing snowstorm from the CMC ugh 18z! has my location getting like 5.5 inches but Wilmington gets around 20 inches. Sad

cri

depressing

But not hoping for a Jonas on steroids this winter, we've already had a YTD snowfall as of now just around 12''. It was good having 5 inches of snow on the ground for 5 days due to #arcticgeddon. Then #thawageddon came along and stole it from me D:

We don't need a week off of school... most sounds good is 1-2 maybe 3 days off of school.

Reading this thread brings back so many heartbreaking memories from my Indiana days. I seem to recall just a 6-8 week or so period there where I really felt like it was Winterish.  Also, I lived on the wee fringes of the snow belt in N Indiana, and could literally see the clouds and snow just to my north...brutal.  It was like a constant wound that never healed during the winter.  Then, to spend countless hours and sleepless nights tracking a disturbance across the Pacific ocean for 10 days only to get whiffed north or south was even more painful, and when it did snow, usually there was dry air, ratio issues, borderline temps or something else unforeseen.  Of course, prospects of a 3-5 incher and I was hook, line, and sinker in.  Sooo, the disappointments added up...the 1-2 days following a big bust or huge letdown were the worst for me.  Those days are over!  Snow has been on the ground here for 3 months and there's likely 3 months to go.  That's what I call Winter!

• Like 1

I think one of the things that makes it frustrating, or interesting depending on your optimism of choice, especially here in central IN is the extreme variability of average snowfall totals within a stretch of 50 or 75 miles.  Heck, I've seen 6-8 inches 2 miles north of me and 2 inches 2 miles south of me to nothing 5 miles south from the same system.  It's the price we pay for being in the center of the ally for most winter storm tracks.  Double digit snows aren't the norm for IND yet 50 miles north they happen with almost twice the frequency, although still fairly rare.  I rather enjoy it.  Makes tracking these systems just about as much fun, and frustrating, as tropical systems I've tracked living along the coast in the south for 25 years.  Don't dig frozen tundra or mud, but I'll take 3 or 4 WWA's over nothing lol.:pimp:  

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

You guys take snow way too seriously. When it starts affecting your life and emotions, you need to see a doctor. :lol:

Yeah, I love snow as much as the next guy but if it doesn't happen I enjoy whatever weather that does come. I mean I don't mind what Bo has done, that was smart for him, he is in a perfect location. I would enjoy having a setup like that as well. But people getting upset that IL doesn't have snow on the ground for 140 days of the year, that's a bit irrational.

• Like 1

Our climate is colder than it should be really, mainly due to the warm blob/perennial ridge out west along with the Arctic torching like there's no tomorrow. The fact that we even see monthly departures below the 1981-2010 normals is ridiculous in 2018.

The only reason I take snow too seriously, and I mean any snow, enough just to cover the ground, is because I lived in a warmer climate for so long.  My reasoning is if it's gonna be -10 outside there better be some snow on the ground.  Just justifies the arctic blasts to me lol.  Cold bare ground just looks like a nuclear holocaust to me.:weenie:   

17 minutes ago, Jackstraw said:

The only reason I take snow too seriously, and I mean any snow, enough just to cover the ground, is because I lived in a warmer climate for so long.  My reasoning is if it's gonna be -10 outside there better be some snow on the ground.  Just justifies the arctic blasts to me lol.  Cold bare ground just looks like a nuclear holocaust to me.:weenie:   

Oh I agree with this, which is why I root for warm weather in those situations. Bare and warm is miles better than bare and frigid

• Like 1

10 hours ago, weatherbo said:

Reading this thread brings back so many heartbreaking memories from my Indiana days. I seem to recall just a 6-8 week or so period there where I really felt like it was Winterish.  Also, I lived on the wee fringes of the snow belt in N Indiana, and could literally see the clouds and snow just to my north...brutal.  It was like a constant wound that never healed during the winter.  Then, to spend countless hours and sleepless nights tracking a disturbance across the Pacific ocean for 10 days only to get whiffed north or south was even more painful, and when it did snow, usually there was dry air, ratio issues, borderline temps or something else unforeseen.  Of course, prospects of a 3-5 incher and I was hook, line, and sinker in.  Sooo, the disappointments added up...the 1-2 days following a big bust or huge letdown were the worst for me.  Those days are over!  Snow has been on the ground here for 3 months and there's likely 3 months to go.  That's what I call Winter!

Can't control the weather, its just weird that this is the 2nd year in a row Winter hit hard and early (this year much harder than last) and now we have a big midwinter thaw (this year less torchy). Just yesterday I realized a little snafu in my up North plans as well. Again...Southeast Michigan has done much better than most of the subforum and I always plan a snow trip in February, so my complaints are always in check. So yesterday I was looking at hotels...everything and i mean EVERYTHING is booked. The lack of snowdepth in northern lower and the southern UP has everyone flocking to the  northern UP. It makes it even more amazing that you have SO much on the ground there still when areas just to your south so little. And snowmobilers know it.

I wouldn’t even get upset if I lived south of the 42nd parallel. I mean you have to understand winter is not a guarantee. Heck, it’s not a guarantee south of the 45th. We don’t live that far north. Detroit is as north as Rome,Italy. Also the last 20 winters. Standards have risen. Growing up in the 80’s and 90’s this winter we are seeing now is pretty much exactly how it was back then. Except maybe that tiny spot in SEMI that has over achieved but close. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dmc76 said:

I wouldn’t even get upset if I lived south of the 42nd parallel. I mean you have to understand winter is not a guarantee. Heck, it’s not a guarantee south of the 45th. We don’t live that far north. Detroit is as north as Rome,Italy. Also the last 20 winters. Standards have risen. Growing up in the 80’s and 90’s this winter we are seeing now is pretty much exactly how it was back then. Except maybe that tiny spot in SEMI that has over achieved but close. 

Even with the last two winters and 2011-12...the last decade is averaging just over a FOOT above avg. That's 125-130% of avg snowfall the last 10 years. Talk about elevated standards.

5 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Can't control the weather, its just weird that this is the 2nd year in a row Winter hit hard and early (this year much harder than last) and now we have a big midwinter thaw (this year less torchy). Just yesterday I realized a little snafu in my up North plans as well. Again...Southeast Michigan has done much better than most of the subforum and I always plan a snow trip in February, so my complaints are always in check. So yesterday I was looking at hotels...everything and i mean EVERYTHING is booked. The lack of snowdepth in northern lower and the southern UP has everyone flocking to the  northern UP. It makes it even more amazing that you have SO much on the ground there still when areas just to your south so little. And snowmobilers know it.

I think a lot of snowmobilers book up rooms way in advance in certain spots and then cancel right beforehand if they can't make it or conditions aren't right.   I know Jonger has said in the past he does this.  Also, the UP 200 sled dog race is in February, and I know that draws a big out of town crowd too.

3 hours ago, weatherbo said:

I think a lot of snowmobilers book up rooms way in advance in certain spots and then cancel right beforehand if they can't make it or conditions aren't right.   I know Jonger has said in the past he does this.  Also, the UP 200 sled dog race is in February, and I know that draws a big out of town crowd too.

That is a good point. But I've never come across this issue before, where everything was booked. I didn't go up in Feb 2014 or 15 because our snow was so deep but normally i always make a trip that time of year regardless how good our winter has been. This year i may not be able to, idk yet.

I always say i prefer backloaded winters. Dont get me wrong I love LOVE snow for the Christmas season but Thanksgiving to New Years is such a busy time of year. Between work, holiday activities/parties, and shoveling my huge driveway I didn't have time for as many winter walks as I'd like. Now when things are settled down to boring the thaw comes.

4 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

That is a good point. But I've never come across this issue before, where everything was booked. I didn't go up in Feb 2014 or 15 because our snow was so deep but normally i always make a trip that time of year regardless how good our winter has been. This year i may not be able to, idk yet.

I always say i prefer backloaded winters. Dont get me wrong I love LOVE snow for the Christmas season but Thanksgiving to New Years is such a busy time of year. Between work, holiday activities/parties, and shoveling my huge driveway I didn't have time for as many winter walks as I'd like. Now when things are settled down to boring the thaw comes.

It's 100% snowmobiles. What dates do you need, I might have a spare room in Newberry.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, cmillzz said:

Our climate is colder than it should be really, mainly due to the warm blob/perennial ridge out west along with the Arctic torching like there's no tomorrow. The fact that we even see monthly departures below the 1981-2010 normals is ridiculous in 2018.

dumb.

We have cold anomalies at any point in the year.

There were ridges pumping record highes into the Midwest in the 1800s.

• Like 2

This winter's a broken record, lol. That active pattern once modeled is slowly fading. Latest GFS is clipper central after the 5th which may or may not deliver, lol.

I'm all in for spring now. Sad to see storms just falling apart as we we get closer. What a **** winter!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Snowstorms said:

This winter's a broken record, lol. That active pattern once modeled is slowly fading. Latest GFS is clipper central after the 5th which may or may not deliver, lol.

I'm all in for spring now. Sad to see storms just falling apart as we we get closer. What a **** winter!

Some did have 2011-12 as an analog, which caused a major cringe every time I saw it