Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Ryan Maue has resigned from Weatherbell

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, Ottawa Blizzard said:

Unless it's a joke, Ryan Maue has announced on his twitter account that he has resigned from Weatherbell after 5.5 years. Interesting news. I wonder if Weatherbell will still be able to use his maps?

More info. His name appears here: https://www.cato.org/centers/center-study-science

He may be pursuing options that are more consistent with the public policy aspect of meteorology.

He's whip smart and very provocative but there's more money for him to be a tool of the far right while he aligns himself with a right wing think tank. Cato isn't paying him to forecast the weather. They're paying him to minimize the effects of climate change and take cover behind his PhD.

I applaud him for distancing himself from bastardi however. Sean Hannity is the least respected broadcaster in the history of cable news and the bastardi Hannity association is an example of two gentlemen who reside at the bottom of their professions.

On 9/3/2017 at 5:32 PM, donsutherland1 said:

More info. His name appears here: https://www.cato.org/centers/center-study-science

He may be pursuing options that are more consistent with the public policy aspect of meteorology.

Didn't put two and two together when he responded to me on Twitter about the weather.us Euro maps color bar when he said we can fix that. Today the wxbell wx maps FB page changed to weather.us. Ryan is with them now.

4 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Didn't put two and two together when he responded to me on Twitter about the weather.us Euro maps color bar when he said we can fix that. Today the wxbell wx maps FB page changed to weather.us. Ryan is with them now.

Good find. The weather.us blog page lists him, too.

https://blog.weather.us/author/ryanmaue/

On 9/4/2017 at 0:07 PM, donsutherland1 said:

If he makes a career of trying to undermine scientific understanding of climate change, which is solid, he's essentially wasting his training and talent. 

On 9/8/2017 at 2:05 AM, samdman95 said:

It's been sad to see Ryan get all concern-trolly about people pointing out the AGW aspect of storms, screaming that "people need to leave politics out of it!", when he is guilty of the very same thing, but worse. 

Possibly leveraging his new status with CATO, Maue has an op-ed for the WSJ dated yesterday afternoon (not sure if it made it into the print edition today):

https://www.wsj.com/articles/climate-change-hype-doesnt-help-1505672774

Climate Change Hype Doesn’t Help

The bigger issue than global warming is that more people are choosing to live in coastal areas.

. . . Although a clear scientific consensus has emerged over the past decade that climate change influences hurricanes in the long run, its effect upon any individual storm is unclear. Anyone trying to score political points after a natural disaster should take a deep breath and review the science first.

On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 9:00 AM, forkyfork said:

he purposely made his maps count sleet as snow so they would be spread on social media and now he's going to peddle climate change denial full time. to hell with him

totally off.   He's a top 5 guy weather wise and great for the weather world. 

On September 17, Dr. Maue had three interesting tweets:

Tweet 1: Not at #NWAS17 but on top of Atlanta Metro @StoneMtnPark
Planning future w/@WeatherdotUS building Models 3.0 & @500Millibars for everyone

Tweet 2: Will have complete freedom to innovate, explore & collaborate on everything weather.  Free ECMWF for in depth extreme weather coverage

Tweet 3: Honored & privileged to partner w/@Kachelmann as I build new U.S. Atlanta based bureau of @WeatherdotUS & disrupt old way of doing things.

It's still not clear whether Dr. Maue suggested that the ECMWF would be free or just free for certain situations. I suspect the latter, but his language about 'disrupting'  the "old way of doing things" and "...building Models 3.0... for everyone" leaves open the alternative possibility. Currently, Weather.us offers free ECMWF guidance for a range of parameters (latest run, only).

Were Weather.us to expand its free ECMWF maps, that development could present a competitive challenge to the numerous subscription-based vendors. Their ability to maintain current pricing levels would probably depend on their ability to differentiate their map offerings.

A lot likely depends on how Weather.us sees its business and the role it envisions weather maps serving in that business (means of publicity/leveraging audiences to serve core business interests, additional revenue stream, free general maps/custom paid maps for certain clientele, etc.).

Access to the ECMWF data is costly, so fully-accessible free ECMWF coverage seems somewhat unlikely, especially as such maps can readily be monetized. Whether changes take place in what is currently offered for free is a different matter.

6 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

Planning future w/@WeatherdotUS building Models 3.0 & @500Millibars for everyone

Tweet 2: Will have complete freedom to innovate, explore & collaborate on everything weather.  Free ECMWF for in depth extreme weather coverage

Tweet 3: Honored & privileged to partner w/@Kachelmann as I build new U.S. Atlanta based bureau of @WeatherdotUS & disrupt old way of doing things.

It's still not clear whether Dr. Maue suggested that the ECMWF would be free or just free for certain situations. I suspect the latter, but his language about 'disrupting'  the "old way of doing things" and "...building Models 3.0... for everyone" leaves open the alternative possibility. Currently, Weather.us offers free ECMWF guidance for a range of parameters (latest run, only).

Were Weather.us to expand its free ECMWF maps, that development could present a competitive challenge to the numerous subscription-based vendors. Their ability to maintain current pricing levels would probably depend on their ability to differentiate their map offerings.

A lot likely depends on how Weather.us sees its business and the role it envisions weather maps serving in that business (means of publicity/leveraging audiences to serve core business interests, additional revenue stream, free general maps/custom paid maps for certain clientele, etc.).

Access to the ECMWF data is costly, so fully-accessible free ECMWF coverage seems somewhat unlikely, especially as such maps can readily be monetized. Whether changes take place in what is currently offered for free is a different matter.

Interesting. Although it's just the latest run, in my opinion the ECMWF maps are already more accessible and easy to use on Weather.us than they have been previously on any free site.

9 minutes ago, Symblized said:

Interesting. Although it's just the latest run, in my opinion the ECMWF maps are already more accessible and easy to use on Weather.us than they have been previously on any free site.

I agree. I just learned about the site during Hurricane Harvey. I'm impressed with what it offers to the general public.

16 hours ago, donsutherland1 said:

Joerge is loaded. A new era is about to unfold.  

Archived