Newest Member
    joxey
Fall 2017 Model Mehham

Go Kart Mozart

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Is it me, or does that goofy EP/NP value that they now use in lieu of the EPO seem backwards...ie, the positive values seem more favorable?

Seasons like 2014-2015 and 2002-2003 are very positive.

Confusing.

Yes. I wish they did not change it. You just have to remember a +EP/NP is basically a -EPO. Nobody even calls it   The EP either lol.

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yes. I wish they did not change it. You just have to remember a +EP/NP is basically a -EPO. Nobody even calls it   The EP either lol.

Dumb...any sites still calcite monthly EPO values...ie the old index?

Some of those calculations are funny.....95-96 was a +PDO, but -PNA....strange.

49 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Is it me, or does that goofy EP/NP value that they now use in lieu of the EPO seem backwards...ie, the positive values seem more favorable?

Seasons like 2014-2015 and 2002-2003 are very positive.

Confusing.

What are you talking about?

ftp://ftp.cdc.noaa.gov/Public/gbates/teleconn/epo.reanalysis.t10trunc.1948-present.txt

Diving into it a bit this morning on the long term, but it looks like a nice little anticyclonic wave break event will pinch off a PV streamer over the next couple of days. It's the interaction of that streamer with the the tropical convection that kicks off the frontal wave cyclogenesis.

The tropical convection looks like it generates a low level PV anomaly, and when the upper level PV streamer phases vertically with the low level anomaly, it's off to the races with the frontal wave.

CMC, GFS, and Euro all show similar evolution and a LLJ rapidly strengthening east of the low center. 

GFS forecast soundings mix down nearly 70 knots Sunday night.

Just now, dendrite said:

In before Ginxy

Talk about a triple bun solution. 

I'm going to take the under on 112 knots, but this looks like a dynamic system. More so than the current one. I think the injection of the tropical convection is really juicing the deterministic solutions, but at the same time that sort of rapid cyclogenesis is plausible.

5 minutes ago, dendrite said:

None of the weenie maps were overly impressive for Tolland so I defaulted to ENE.

Might be weenie maps but I have no idea where this take 1/3rd off idea started. People keep posting how wrong those maps are, well maybe 4 days out but I'd reexamine Sun 0Z because they have been pretty damn good close in. 

24 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Might be weenie maps but I have no idea where this take 1/3rd off idea started. People keep posting how wrong those maps are, well maybe 4 days out but I'd reexamine Sun 0Z because they have been pretty damn good close in. 

Very easy. Those wind maps are over-inflated. I'm not sure what algorithm is used, but they have overestimated winds in the past.

Archived