Newest Member
    joxey
Fall 2017 Model Mehham

Go Kart Mozart

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

that is about what I saw too, 85 knots is 100mph winds.  That would destroy everything on Cape Cod with those type of winds as the trees are still full of leaves the colors have changed little since October began.  This nor'easter could send Cape Cod into darkness for several days.

New novel in the works....

Just now, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

that is about what I saw too, 85 knots is 100mph winds.  That would destroy everything on Cape Cod with those type of winds as the trees are still full of leaves the colors have changed little since October began.  This nor'easter could send Cape Cod into darkness for several days.

Yea but days and days away, the Euro maxes you out 50 sustained gust to 80, still a power punisher

us_model-en-087-0_modez_2017102512_117_2858_227.png

us_model-en-087-0_modez_2017102512_117_2858_379.png

2 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

How does that equal 80 kts sustained at the surface?

It doesn't...it's more like 50mph sustained on the GFS. There's def big gust potential on those soundings, but I'd probably ease off on the sustained wind talk for now on values that high.

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

It doesn't...it's more like 50mph sustained on the GFS. There's def big gust potential on those soundings, but I'd probably ease off on the sustained wind talk for now on values that high.

Its actually 72 mph sustained on the GFS depiction, why wouldn't anyone discuss what a model shows, no one is predicting shiat

Just now, Ginx snewx said:

Its actually 72 mph sustained on the GFS depiction, why wouldn't anyone discuss what a model shows, no one is predicting shiat

The coolwx model sounding that he referenced shows 45 knots at the max....maybe there is some other site that shows more, but I haven't seen it...

barba.png

Just now, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

There is a 65 knot wind barb at 975mb

Yes, that would show very high gust potential. But it is still different than sustained surface winds.

The GFS has a brief pulse between 111-114 hours at CHH that may briefly get sustained winds close to 55-60 knots, but the model guidance doesn't go hourly that far out...at least not the guidance easily at my fingertips. There's probably some stuff you can download, but I'm not bothering given how far out it is.

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

The coolwx model sounding that he referenced shows 45 knots at the max....maybe there is some other site that shows more, but I haven't seen it...

barba.png

2017 ing. Hour by hour one can think in between hours the GFS indeed has a strong sustained period, just showing what it shows

us_model-en-087-0_modusa_2017102512_112_519_227 (1).png

us_model-en-087-0_modusa_2017102512_113_519_227 (1).png

2 minutes ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

Will what do you look for in terms of the models for good gust potential?

You want to see big low level jet...preferably below 900-925mb and a weakening or non-existent inversion....that helps get that to the surface easier.

19 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Euro sustained wind and gust product performed great yesterday, nailed the high gusts at the coast near 50 and the elevation ones. Watch that product James on Saturday

Agreed. Did much better with its more pedestrian wind depiction here than the GFS. That said, new Euro shows some 70-80 gusts back into western CT with the next one. Obviously not reading too much into it at this range, but happy to get the model tracking season kicked off.

Archived