Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Fall Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mentioned it in the foliage thread... but after looking into it this is pretty damn impressive.

Last night's minimum temperature at our 3,600ft station at the top of the Gondola was 66F (!)....and it looks like the MMNV1 station was very similar with 66F showing on the 5-min temps.

For perspective... yesterday's low of 60F was the highest min of the entire warm season.  This morning's 66F would crush that and beats the old record high min of 58F from 1970.

The record high for today is 70F and it's already gotten to 74F up there prior to noon. 

But man, a minimum temp of 66F at the picnic tables on September 25th is incredible.

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

89/69 at BDL. That's just awesome. September 25th

I enjoy this heat because of how rare it is.  

Talking 100-year type stuff.

I just went to the post office and driving through the village with so many bare trees that got confused and lost their leaves already...while my car says 88F is so crazy.

IMG_6867.JPG.f6003f4ef268a81076e0b5c31b304fb8.JPG

I just went to the post office and driving through the village with so many bare trees that got confused and lost their leaves already...while my car says 88F is so crazy.

Done walking around Burlington. Too hot. Back to the lodge and pool

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

41 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

You wonder if this starts to become more normal over the coming years 

Yesterday's max of 85 was the warmest since June 12 and is the warmest for so late in the season, and today may beat it.  (The 80 on 10/9/2011 might be more impressive, at least until later this afternoon.)   The warmest days this year have come in the 3rd week of May, 2nd week of June, and last week of Sept, not the distribution one might expect.

For big late heat here, 1895 takes the prize with 100 on 9/22 and 99 on 9/23.  However, I'm suspicious about the run of 100+ from 1893-1897, seven of Farmington's 14 triples in  those 5 years plus more than their share of 95-99 maxima.  After that the co-op has recorded 5 in 1911 (four in the historic NNE heat wave that July), then only 6/1944 and 8/1975.  The period 1893-1897 recorded 39 days with maxima 95+.  Next highest full decade is the 1940s with 28 and the '30s take the bronze with just 15.  For 1978-on, the co-op has recorded just 4 such days - global cooling?  More like, different obs location.

1 hour ago, Lava Rock said:

Done walking around Burlington. Too hot. Back to the lodge and pool

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Oh yeah forget about that.  That's gotta be a sauna with all the pavement like walking Church Street.  

Starting to get a bunch of Cu and towers trying to break the cap over the mountains now. I noticed the sun getting blocked by the clouds over the Spine at my house a few times in the last hour and it seems a little cooler.  MVL stepped down to 86F and this is what kept us from hitting 90F in June.  

The clouds form over the Spine and as the afternoon goes on and the sun moves to the west, those Spine clouds start limiting insolation on the east side.  

Would love to see like 60-second data as it really feels like it's upper 80s, then a brief 2-3 minute period of shade from a Cu and it feels like it's back to like 83-84F.  Sun returns and it goes back to upper 80s.

92.1/71F.   First 90F of the summer.  My station Davis Pro is usually spot on accurate but seems to be reading so high the past couple of days.  I think my all time record in the past 16 years is 95F.  My guess is without a fan and the lower sun angle as compared to the summer its just too high.  No wind to speak of is not helping.   Anyhow I'm kicking myself for taking out the AC's.

Last night's low was only 68F.  Awful!

11 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

92.1/71F.   First 90F of the summer.  My station Davis Pro is usually spot on accurate but seems to be reading so high the past couple of days.  I think my all time record in the past 16 years is 95F.  My guess is without a fan and the lower sun angle as compared to the summer its just too high.  No wind to speak of is not helping.   Anyhow I'm kicking myself for taking out the AC's.

Last night's low was only 68F.  Awful!

Gene, 92F seems a bit high for your elevation?  

Most of the ASOS at a lower elevation are upper 80s.  I'd think if you were 92F, then CON would be mid-90s?

15 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Gene, 92F seems a bit high for your elevation?  

Most of the ASOS at a lower elevation are upper 80s.  I'd think if you were 92F, then CON would be mid-90s?

PF,  Yea it's too high.  I don't know why all of a sudden.  Interestingly it has dropped fairly suddenly to 88F.  Going to have to buy another thermometer, do the ice bath check and make sure I am reporting accurate temps, especially before cold season whenever that might be...

17 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Yeah Gene is probably 5F or so high based on his elevation. He has a passive shield attached to his house IIRC.

85.9F thus far here

Brian,  do you think its unusually high because of the lower sun elevation baking the plastic?  Virtually no wind either.  Now temp is rapidly sliding down.  87.2F  No passing Cu recently but breeze just picked up so maybe that is it??/

Get your shovels oiled, get the snowblowers primed. All of you north country skiers are gonna breathe pow. Even snorkels arent gonna help. Ski instructors will be soaring on a HIGH HIGH!

You're going to get buried in snow, alive this winter. This is going to be a very, very special winter for Boston, one well remembered for generations.

Every storm is going to crush you with heavy snow well into meteorological spring.

Where we in the Mid Atlantic will fail miserably, YOU WILL SUCCEED! You will enjoy an incredible winter worth its weight in gold valued at many times the immensity of the National Debt. Hit the gyms. Get your out of shape asses in shape. You're gonna need it.

Don't be makin' me have to come up there and show all of you New Englanders how to dig snow by Jebman Standards.

Archived