joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Tropical Season 2017

40/70 Benchmark

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Breaking out the fuzzy clustering for the first time since last cool season, good warm up.

Looks like the major models are separating themselves into camps (as of 00z last evening).

The CMC is by far the most southern solution at day 6 (as far as this goes out), the GEFS the farthest north, and the EPS farthest west.

The western outliers, unsurprisingly, are also the furthest south and west by day 6. And maybe surprisingly the southern outliers do not end up farthest south, and do end up weaker than other solutions by day 6. 

Of course uncertainty really increases beyond day 6 (the ensembles are actually fairly tightly clustered through day 5 or so).

But the SLP spread at day 8 gives a sense of where the solutions are headed. There is an area of high spread about MIA latitude nearing the Bahamas, another smaller spread about JAX latitude and ILM longitude, and a third area of high spread just east of HSE.

So speed and location differences arise pretty quickly after day 5/6.

9 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Of course uncertainty really increases beyond day 6 (the ensembles are actually fairly tightly clustered through day 5 or so).

But the SLP spread at day 8 gives a sense of where the solutions are headed. There is an area of high spread about MIA latitude nearing the Bahamas, another smaller spread about JAX latitude and ILM longitude, and a third area of high spread just east of HSE.

So speed and location differences arise pretty quickly after day 5/6.

Well Ocean,  your post really says to me that as of now there is a high likely hood of a US hit.  Only some of those "third" spreads would be off the coast solutions.  

Couple of thoughts:

1)  Growing up in Baltimore the cane track just west of the Chessie is devastating to Wash DC and Baltimore.  Brings the tidal surge up the Chessie on a strong south wind.

2)   I am a bit surprised that NWS Bos/Gray is not talking at all about Irma.  Just to put something out there.  Odds are low of a direct hit for SNE but higher for some coastal or even inland  impact.  For instance my neighbors have a large boat in Newfound Lake.  They are up this weekend from Boston but then not up again for a couple/3 weeks.  They plan to keep their boat in the lake but I suggested that perhaps they might consider pulling it Monday since we could get some type of Irma impact.  I'm sure just that decision is shared thousands of times over along the New England coast right now.   Perhaps the NWS does not want to start talking about anything a week out or guidelines say they should not  but a forecasted sub 950mb cane is quite different than a minimal hurricane.  Thoughts?...

1 minute ago, wxeyeNH said:

Well Ocean,  your post really says to me that as of now there is a high likely hood of a US hit.  Only some of those "third" spreads would be off the coast solutions.  

Couple of thoughts:

1)  Growing up in Baltimore the cane track just west of the Chessie is devastating to Wash DC and Baltimore.  Brings the tidal surge up the Chessie on a strong south wind.

2)   I am a bit surprised that NWS Bos/Gray is not talking at all about Irma.  Just to put something out there.  Odds are low of a direct hit for SNE but higher for some coastal or even inland  impact.  For instance my neighbors have a large boat in Newfound Lake.  They are up this weekend from Boston but then not up again for a couple/3 weeks.  They plan to keep their boat in the lake but I suggested that perhaps they might consider pulling it Monday since we could get some type of Irma impact.  I'm sure just that decision is shared thousands of times over along the New England coast right now.   Perhaps the NWS does not want to start talking about anything a week out or guidelines say they should not  but a forecasted sub 950mb cane is quite different than a minimal hurricane.  Thoughts?...

Regarding the bolded:

I still think it's too early to say a high likelihood, as the EPS still offers plenty of hard right solutions from the offshore Carolina areas. A stronger trough could easily kick out a TC, or a developing weakness in the ridge could provide an escape hatch. It all looks great now, but if we think to our winter forecasting we're talking about troughs and ridges that are not sampled or haven't even developed yet. So expecting the models to have locked into the pattern is a fool's errand at the moment. Do I think it is something we should be paying serious attention to? Yes. But beyond typical preparedness? We're not there yet.

And as for talking about the storm, we had a section on Irma in our AFD yesterday at midnight and during the day (I put in a fairly extensive paragraph in considering it is well beyond the range we are supposed to be talking about). Mostly to debunk any hype that is getting going, and put out the talking about we should be hitting right now: preparedness, not direct impacts.

Prollly be a lotta tornadors ...

Huge difference in the handling of the synoptic evolution in the GFS... This solution more like meanders Irma into an MA assault as opposed to the previous dynamic, which had a more 1938-esque sort of closed low genesis and capture deal. Or at least enticed a forward motion up along the coast that way.

Coincidentally, the two different means by which Irma arrives ... really looks to be just that - coinkidink impact on the MA. 

It gives the illusion of continuity but I don't believe that is really what we are seeing there, given to those differences in handling the entire circulation medium over the eastern U.S.

Kevin is getting increasingly more reckless as of late with his absurdity antic... He used to be tamer and more lucid believe it or not, only tending to drop bombs here and there to poke hornet nests and so forth - but at least showed a little modicum of situational awareness in matters.

Now?  no will to do so...  Just tosses atomic holocausts at us on every model cycle.

I said that in deference to NYC strike... Not CH. Bay for f sake - wake up

Archived