Newest Member
    joxey
Tropical Season 2017

40/70 Benchmark

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

horrible analogy, most deaths in Florida were in Homestead, last I looked not a barrier Island, you want to satisfy an unnatural obsession with damage and destruction as long as its not you.  Marveling at nature hitting the shore and divorcing  what it does to fellow Americans is brutally ignorant.

People determine their own level of risk via the decisions that they make. Homestead is about 10 mi from the ocean under the latitude of Miami.

No one forced them to live there, so take your belligerent drivel to OT where it belongs.

As a social worker, I empower folks to elicit the requisite self determination to make their own decisions, which also entails an inherent level of accountability.

3 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

People determine their own level of risk via the decisions that they make. Homestead is about 10 mi from the ocean under the latitude of Miami.

No one forced them to live there, so take your belligerent drivel to OT where it belongs.

As a social worker, I empower folks to elicit the requisite self determination to make their own decisions, which also entails an implicit accountability.

Come on Ray.  Didn't Katrina and Harvey sadden you a bit?  Homestead is part of the major Miami metro.   That said-bring it!

4 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Come on Ray.  Didn't Katrina and Harvey sadden you a bit?  Homestead is part of the major Miami metro.   That said-bring it!

Anyone with a modicum of capacity to think critically can simultaneously appreciate the power of nature,  and the element of human suffering.

Yes.

But I don't control it, and I suggest that this thread follow my lead in divorcing myself from that conundrum.

45 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Anyone with a modicum of capacity to think critically can simultaneously appreciate the power of nature,  and the element of human suffering.

Yes.

But I don't control it, and I suggest that this thread follow my lead in divorcing myself from that conundrum.

" No one forced them to live there "

Dead right,  cash in some stock options and buy a bug out home in Aspen. What's wrong with these people?

22 minutes ago, kdxken said:

" No one forced them to live there "

Dead right,  cash in some stock options and buy a bug out home in Aspen. What's wrong with these people?

Done with the elitist attitude.  Mostly poor people suffer in disasters because it's much cheaper to live in high risk areas. I don't need to take anything OT either   He directly wished for an Andrew repeat to satisfy an obsession. Sorry morally corrupt B.S.. I totally understand fascination with extreme meteorology but his comments were way over the top and brutally unnecessary in the context of Meteorology discussion. 

1 hour ago, 78Blizzard said:

The cold air plume that rushed in after Irma on the previous run is but a figment of the imagination on this run, and we could be approaching 90° at the end of the run.

Weather typically heats up after a hurricane passes (though a week after Sandy we had a snowstorm lol).

The one thing that could have made Sandy worse was big rains preceding it (we only got like 1")

And in defense of Ray, all of us are fascinated by extreme weather.  That's why we keep talking about storms from the past, like 1821, or 1893 or 1938 or 1944 or the Blizzard of 1888 or the Blizzard of 1978.  C'mon folks, none of us controls the weather, so wishing for extreme weather has nothing to do with wanting anyone to get hurt.

San Francisco had an all-time record high of 104 today and Sacramento is supposed to hit 110 tomorrow!  No one is tlaking about this lol.

I like extreme heat as much as I like big snowstorms or hurricanes.  All of these can kill, but I don't wish for anyone to die or even get hurt even if I do root for extreme weather.

5 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Done with the elitist attitude.  Mostly poor people suffer in disasters because it's much cheaper to live in high risk areas. I don't need to take anything OT either   He directly wished for an Andrew repeat to satisfy an obsession. Sorry morally corrupt B.S.. I totally understand fascination with extreme meteorology but his comments were way over the top and brutally unnecessary in the context of Meteorology discussion. 

You need to sharpen your sarcasm detection skills. I am on your side.

Just now, Paragon said:

Weather typically heats up after a hurricane passes (though a week after Sandy we had a snowstorm lol).

The one thing that could have made Sandy worse was big rains preceding it (we only got like 1")

And in defense of Ray, all of us are fascinated by extreme weather.  That's why we keep talking about storms from the past, like 1821, or 1893 or 1938 or 1944 or the Blizzard of 1888 or the Blizzard of 1978.  C'mon folks, none of us controls the weather, so wishing for extreme weather has nothing to do with wanting anyone to get hurt.

Wishing for an Andrew repeat is exactly that. I would rather see a Cat 5 hit where Brett hit , get to see power with minimal human tragedy. There is a fine line. Like I said the great majority of wish casters for destruction don't own homes, businesses or live within miles of thr coast.  Like me saying I wish for a 8.0 quake to hit California to see what the power of nature would do. We all know what happens. To say you would be disappointed with a Cat 2 and would rather a Cat 5 hit Florida is at a level that is inappropriate and unsympathetic. Spare me your fascination and obsession. Just discuss the meteorology and leave your fantasy home.

1 hour ago, Hoth said:

That would be devastating. Wow.

Ah ... yeah.

That is the quintessential worse case imaginable scenario for NYC... The utter ender for that metropolis.  You people think that's hyperbole, but those proportions are essentially correct - utter destruction.

You're that is the modeled scenario by NCEP/NASA divisions that specialize in "special circumstance" disasters that transcend the typical dystopia we think of ...

Category 4 storm approached the NY Bite from SSE at accelerating forward motion...  A weaker storm brought wind to 185 mph in gusts on Blue Hill...The geology of that region would bring a 22 or so open shore surge probably to 40 feet or more right up the Hudson. 

Infrastructure would probably take years to restore.  That's after the region's structural edifices were even cleared to return after surge and wind damage...

ah well.... by NYC.  fun while it lasted...

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Ah ... yeah.

That is the quintessential worse case imaginable scenario for NYC... The utter ender for that metropolis.  You people think that's hyperbole, but those proportions are essentially correct - utter destruction.

You're that is the modeled scenario by NCEP/NASA divisions that specialize in "special circumstance" disasters that transcend the typical dystopia we think of ...

Category 4 storm approached the NY Bite from SSE at accelerating forward motion...  A weaker storm brought wind to 185 mph in gusts on Blue Hill...The geology of that region would bring a 22 or so open shore surge probably to 40 feet or more right up the Hudson. 

Infrastructure would probably take years to restore.  That's after the region's structural edifices were even cleared to return after surge and wind damage...

ah well.... by NYC.  fun while it lasted...

Hey eastern Mass would get butkis  lets do this.

8 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Wishing for an Andrew repeat is exactly that. I would rather see a Cat 5 hit where Brett hit , get to see power with minimal human tragedy. There is a fine line. Like I said the great majority of wish casters for destruction don't own homes, businesses or live within miles of thr coast.  Like me saying I wish for a 8.0 quake to hit California to see what the power of nature would do. We all know what happens. To say you would be disappointed with a Cat 2 and would rather a Cat 5 hit Florida is at a level that is inappropriate and unsympathetic. Spare me your fascination and obsession. Just discuss the meteorology and leave your fantasy home.

Well I didn't really like Andrew either (not just because of the death that occurred which was awful enough, but because it was a small system that took a  boring track.)  Something like Donna in 1960 is more what I would like to see which hit all of us with Cat 2 winds.  How many people here have actually been through Cat 2 winds?  They are plenty scary.  I have no desire to go through a Cat 3+ storm.

100 mph storm with 10 inches of rain would be plenty for me.

Something like Patricia (which was the most extreme hurricane we have measured) hitting a sparsely populated area might be interesting for research purposes, but I'm not sure I'd even root for something like that.  Seeing Josh's video was scary enough.

Just now, Paragon said:

Well I didn't really like Andrew either (not just because of the death that occurred, but because it was a small system that took a  boring track.)  Something like Donna in 1960 is more what I would like to see which hit all of us with Cat 2 winds.  How many people here have actually been through Cat 2 winds?  They are plenty scary.  I have no desire to go through a Cat 3+ storm.

100 mph storm with 10 inches of rain would be plenty for me.

You should chase , document destruction then go home to a nice warm bed.

Last night I asked what were the chances of Irma actually making a US landfall.  I threw out 25%  ( think).  The chances of everything coming together to have the eye of a 945mb cane going directly over NYC must be extremely low, 1 in 500?  Who knows.  That track would be about the worst possible for NYC.  My gut still thinks an escape east is what will happen but that is based on gut and not science....

Archived