Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Tropical Season 2017

40/70 Benchmark

6 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Ah ... yeah.

That is the quintessential worse case imaginable scenario for NYC... The utter ender for that metropolis.  You people think that's hyperbole, but those proportions are essentially correct - utter destruction.

You're that is the modeled scenario by NCEP/NASA divisions that specialize in "special circumstance" disasters that transcend the typical dystopia we think of ...

Category 4 storm approached the NY Bite from SSE at accelerating forward motion...  A weaker storm brought wind to 185 mph in gusts on Blue Hill...The geology of that region would bring a 22 or so open shore surge probably to 40 feet or more right up the Hudson. 

Infrastructure would probably take years to restore.  That's after the region's structural edifices were even cleared to return after surge and wind damage...

ah well.... by NYC.  fun while it lasted...

I have trouble believing that it could be anything higher than Cat 2 at this latitude.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, wxeyeNH said:

Last night I asked what were the chances of Irma actually making a US landfall.  I threw out 25%  ( think).  The chances of everything coming together to have the eye of a 945mb cane going directly over NYC must be extremely low, 1 in 500?  Who knows.  That track would be about the worst possible for NYC.  My gut still thinks an escape east is what will happen but that is based on gut and not science....

I am thinking HP builds up here and we end up with either a Hugo look or a stalled system off the SE Coast

5 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

You should chase , document destruction then go home to a nice warm bed.

I've been through a 5.6 quake.  I can say it was fun (because it was the first time I've ever experienced a quake) but wouldn't want to experience something much stronger than that.

I don't know where you're getting the idea that anyone wants people to die.  If it was up to me, Cat 2 hurricanes and Mag 5.5 quakes would be the highest anyone would experience, but we can't control such things.

Something like Patricia hitting an unpopulated area might be interesting for research.

Just now, Paragon said:

I've been through a 5.6 quake.  I can say it was fun (because it was the first time I've ever experienced a quake) but wouldn't want to experience something much stronger than that.

I don't know where you're getting the idea that anyone wants people to die.  If it was up to me, Cat 2 hurricanes and Mag 5.5 quakes would be the highest anyone would experience, but we can't control such things.

Of course it's out of our control. But let's review,  do you wish for an Andrew repeat because you would be disappointed with a Cat 2. 

4 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Last night I asked what were the chances of Irma actually making a US landfall.  I threw out 25%  ( think).  The chances of everything coming together to have the eye of a 945mb cane going directly over NYC must be extremely low, 1 in 500?  Who knows.  That track would be about the worst possible for NYC.  My gut still thinks an escape east is what will happen but that is based on gut and not science....

11L_gefs_latest (2).png

3 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Of course it's out of our control. But let's review,  do you wish for an Andrew repeat because you would be disappointed with a Cat 2. 

Hell no.  Anyone who would be disappointed with a Cat 2 has never experienced a Cat 2.  It's an extremely scary experience.

I wouldn't wish for an F5 tornado either.

My limits are......Cat 2 hurricane....F2 tornado.... 5.5 quake (maybe up to 6.0)

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

He looks for every way it can't happen lol

Who? You are back on the GFS train? Nice. You want to discuss meteorology? Or is this a wishing for max intensity max destruction or you are disappointed post? Hope you never lose a family member due to wishing for  mass destruction and regret it forever.

2 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

As usual you missed the point. We appreciate awe just don't wish for an Andrew repeat. 

Everyone likes and can appreciate the wow factor, But only a couple would like to experience it up close and personal, Certainly not the majority like some seem to think do.

Just now, dryslot said:

Everyone likes and can appreciate the wow factor, But only a couple would like to experience it up close and personal, Certainly not the majority like some seem to think do.

Emass north of the Cape will never experience an Andrew so its safe to rather see an Andrew again than their usual gust to 60 with some rain typical tropical storm. Ya know, I am disappointed I can't get a Cat 4 so let's see what a Cat 5 will do

10 minutes ago, Paragon said:

Something like Patricia hitting an unpopulated area might be interesting for research.

Try a quake that takes buildings down.  I've seen that multiple times-not fun.  For the first 20 years I've been back here I held my breath going under underpasses.

34 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Done with the elitist attitude.  Mostly poor people suffer in disasters because it's much cheaper to live in high risk areas. I don't need to take anything OT either   He directly wished for an Andrew repeat to satisfy an obsession. Sorry morally corrupt B.S.. I totally understand fascination with extreme meteorology but his comments were way over the top and brutally unnecessary in the context of Meteorology discussion. 

The indigent are not forced to live near the ocean within tropical climates, sorry. 

Breathe into a paperback, seek education on the matter,  and stop detracting from the thread.

3 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Try a quake that takes buildings down.  I've seen that multiple times-not fun.  For the first 20 years I've been back here I held my breath going under underpasses.

Wow, you've lived all over, Jer.  A mag 7 earthquake would be an experience no one should ever want.

5 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

The indigent are not forced to live near the ocean within tropical climates, sorry. 

Breathe into a paperback, seek education on the matter,  and stop detracting from the thread.

I will take instructions from you, like never. Some social worker meterological historian ,not understanding the socioeconomic story of Homestead, New Orleans, Houston etc etc. 

9 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I will take instructions from you like never. Some social worker meterological historian not understanding the socioeconomic story of Homestead, New Orleans, Houston etc etc. 

:lol:

I understand that there are plenty of other concentrations of the lower socioeconomic class at higher latitudes. 

Are they focused in more flood prone regions of those respective metro areas, sure....should they opt to live in those cities. 

I want a major hurricane threat...take it, sit on it, and spin.

39 minutes ago, Paragon said:

How many people here have actually been through Cat 2 winds?  They are plenty scary.  I have no desire to go through a Cat 3+ storm.

I was only 8 years old when Hurricane Carol hit in 1954, but I remember it well living at the time in the Roslindale section of Boston.  It was a strong Cat 2 when it hit and winds did reach sustained levels of 80-110 mph with gusts to 125 across E MA.  At the time, I guess it was the costliest hurricane in history, surpassing the 1938 hurricane.  I remember my aunt hiding in a closet from the high winds, thunder and lightning, to say nothing of all the big tree branches coming down.  It was worse in RI after it hit in Groton, CT at 956 mb.  Those years in the 1950's seemed like NE was hurricane central. You really don't want to see what the devastation would be like if we were hit by a strong Cat 3.  BTW, the potential track of Irma could be very similar to that of Carol. 

7 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

:lol:

I understand that there are plenty of other concentrations of the lower socioeconomic class in higher latitudes. 

Are they focused in more flood prone regions of those respective metro areas, sure....should they opt to live in those cities. 

I want a major hurricane threat...take it, sit on, and spin.

Threat, ah we tone it down. Odds of you seeing anything in your hood approaching major are as slim as Kevin getting a real tornado in his. Everyone appreciates the raw power and met.  You posted disappointment with a Cat 2 and wished for an Andrew into Florida.  Hope you get your wish then I hope you volunteer your time and money to go rebuild or use your training to console those with PTSD. I wish for a Brett only a 5 hit in cow land myself. Plenty to see. I suppose that would disappoint many though.

Archived