Newest Member
    joxey
The 2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season Thread

George BM

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Euro has Harvey make landfall, head back to the Gulf, reintensify, and make another landfall in LA. By 192 it's moving NE in the southeast. Also, Euro has something weak pop and hug the SE coast at the same time before getting kicked OTS once it gets to NC. Kinda interested to see if Harvey's remnants make a close approach in the long range. 

It does... check out 216 ;) 

As expected, good bit of spread on the EPS with the remnants of the storm that erases Houston but track up through the TN valley is supported. Which would be interesting around here. If the remnants can get absorbed into any kind of ML trough or front, we would be on the fun side. I guess this whole thing finally has my attention. Not the cat 5 up the bay I'm waiting for but spinny things and dam bursting training rain possibilities seems worth investing time in.  

Why is it unlikely? (0z CMC). You can see the ULL blocked by high pressure. It is a more tame version of the Sandy setup. I will call it Sandy August Edition for now. If you are wondering, the GFS attempts to bring the system (92L) into the coast but the timing of H5 features varies slightly and Harvey forces the ULL east. What happens with Harvey will be key, imo.

gem_z500a_us_21.png

3 hours ago, Vice-Regent said:

Small hat tip to the CMC on the Euro. Waiting for the rest of the run to finish. It appears Harvey acts as a kicker altho I am wondering if the Euro is too conservative with homebrew. Should continue evolving in future runs.

Euro was closer this run

Maybe the CMC isn't lost after all. We shall see.

31 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Looks like the GFS is up to it's old tricks again. The 06Z now shows a Cat 4 (940mb) striking southern Texas.

With the stall..this would be a very significant disaster for that part of the country...  the 6z was pretty scary

If I had $1 for every time the CMC showed a Chessie Bay crusher I'd have more money than the clown that just won Powerball.

Only reason why the CMC does what it does is it thinks the trough will stay far enough west and pops a quick ridge well off the east in the Atl that the homebrew is forced NNW between the two.

It seems that the GFS wants to stall Harvey longer cause it wants to keep pushing it into the WC ridge instead of the euro idea of eventually getting caught in the EC trough and dragged up.  Euro seems more believable IMO

5 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

If it isn't a cane at the 2pm advisory today, I'd be really surprised. 

NHC seems to be not as gung ho on that happening. Doesn't have it reaching hurricane status for 24hrs. However, their 5am discussion did mention that RI was possible, but for now would keep with their lower consensus to maintain continuity from previous discussion.

Archived