Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The 2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season Thread

George BM

Just now, mappy said:

NHC seems to be not as gung ho on that happening. Doesn't have it reaching hurricane status for 24hrs. However, their 5am discussion did mention that RI was possible, but for now would keep with their lower consensus to maintain continuity from previous discussion.

Oh. I absolutely agree on the maintaining continuity. That is a must in the world of forecasting, if possible, or anything of this nature. I was just saying the ingredients are coming together really well right now and I'd be surprised if late morning recon doesn't start seeing something very close to, if not at minimum hurricane intensity. Even if it isn't there yet, man on man tonight through tomorrow is going to be something else. The perfect RI scenario is setting up right now. 

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, mappy said:

Like WW007 said, only thing that kills Harvey now, is Harvey. Hopefully the people from Corpus Christie to Houston are making preparations. 

Yeah. No kidding. Corpus NWS already boarding up according to someone there who posted on Twitter. We've got evacs for some of my forecast sites into Southern Texas now. Told them they need to get out now. No time to mess with this system. 

7am update

Tropical Storm Harvey Intermediate Advisory Number 15A
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL       AL092017
700 AM CDT Thu Aug 24 2017

...AIR FORCE HURRICANE HUNTER PLANE FINDS HARVEY STRENGTHENING...

SUMMARY OF 700 AM CDT...1200 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...23.8N 93.0W
ABOUT 380 MI...615 KM SE OF PORT OCONNOR TEXAS
ABOUT 335 MI...540 KM SE OF PORT MANSFIELD TEXAS
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...60 MPH...95 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...NNW OR 345 DEGREES AT 10 MPH...17 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...986 MB...29.12 INCHES

23 minutes ago, H2O said:

This has an Andrew type feel with a quick bomb right before hitting.  not saying it will go CAT 5 at all but any sort of RI prior to landfall will make the effects that much worse since it is then forecast to stall.

Andrew was a buzzsaw for quite a while though.  The scary RI scenario is probably Charley, except bigger.

4 minutes ago, mappy said:

am I subforum snob to only want to talk about Harvey here instead of the main page thread? 

I would definitely feel more comfortable commenting here, although I read the tropical thread. Then again, some of the posts in that thread should make me feel confident about posting there... I mean, I am not sure I can match the value in this:

Im currently in Greece on vacation so tracking this from afar.

From recon:

URNT12 KNHC 241152

VORTEX DATA MESSAGE   AL092017
A. 24/11:25:20Z
B. 23 deg 43 min N
  092 deg 58 min W
C. 850 mb 1306 m
D. 51 kt
E. 292 deg 14 nm
F. 013 deg 54 kt
G. 290 deg 20 nm
H. 986 mb
I. 17 C / 1525 m
J. 21 C / 1526 m
K. 19 C / NA
L. OPEN NW
M. C24
N. 12345 / 08
O. 0.02 / 1 nm
P. AF309 1209A HARVEY             OB 06
MAX OUTBOUND AND MAX FL WIND 62 KT (71mph) 122 / 9 NM 11:29:00Z
CNTR DROPSONDE SFC WIND 325 / 3 KT
;

14 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Any early thoughts on 92L?

I have barely looked at the situation, but my thought would be that a landfalling mid-atlantic system is such a unique climatological occurrence that the chances are usually fairly well known in advance because the large-scale setup has to be pretty specific.  The fact that it is the CMC on an island gives me little faith in that solution.

8 minutes ago, mappy said:

Kush is good people. You just have to know when he's trolling for lols, and when he is being serious. 

i am not trolling.  if you let me finish without ascribing trollish intent to my posts i would have told you my forecast: 

this is going to go cat 4 during the diurnal medium due to the mexican mtns.  book it.

3 minutes ago, cmasty1978 said:

i am not trolling.  if you let me finish without ascribing trollish intent to my posts i would have told you my forecast: 

this is going to go cat 4 during the diurnal medium due to the mexican mtns.  book it.

well played, sir. 

20 minutes ago, cmasty1978 said:

it's not a bad thing.  i too am an engaged hobbyist.  but having some real deal, red meat tropical posters would be the logical next step for making this discussion better.  

When the red meat joins the first thing I'm going to ask is how much for Rockville. That's the burning question. 

Just now, WxWatcher007 said:

Mappy, I take my tropical seriously. I live in a place that's about as bad as San Diego for tropical. I lose all ability to function as a regular human when something pops even though I know it will inevitably pass on me like Sandra Davis at my high school prom.

DON'T FAULT ME FOR BEING ON EDGE.

3-5' of rain and 6-8 TORs or bust. 

GEFS and EPS favor a remnant track up the TN valley. The tricky part is how it gets there. If the storm re-renters the gulf and makes a second landfall in the LA area then it could actually bring decent to significant impacts to our region. If it stays over land and wallows around before heading north then things would be much more tame. 

You know which scenario I'm rooting for...lol

Archived