• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Christmas Storm I (general banter)

WeatherNC

It's obvious today that a LOT of people bought into the superstorm scenario. So a lot are probably going to be disappointed.

Give me an inch of snow and I'm happy. 3+ and I'm jumping for joy. If I want to see a ton of it, I'll go spend a weekend with my friend who lives in Banner Elk.

I don't think most folks up this way bought into the Euro solution. We were excited about it, yes...and not happy when it went south. But remember, we have been out of the game for quite a while - not just last night's run. For us, this has been over for a while.

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think most folks up this way bought into the Euro solution. We were excited about it, yest...and not happy when it went south. But remember, we have been out of the game for quite a while - not just last night's run. For us, this has been over for a while.

I was hoping for the monster solution not necessarily expecting it. But to go from 12-14 inches to 1-2 inches is indeed a bummer. 6 inches, enough to cover the ground and make a nice blanket of white is what I'm looking for.

I hate this hobby... I think I'm gonna go bang my head against the wall for a few hours. Oh yea, and the EURO is a bogus piece of garbage that I will NEVER trust again. EPIC FAIL!!!!!

It just had a perfect phase then backed off. It can easily jump back on it, or the other models could. From my understanding the Euro is kinda of a crappy short range model which is the timezone we are entering. The last GFS really, wasn't that incredibly bad. Just missed the phase. The Hi-Res models are showing a more potent shortwave also. I'd really follow the guidance close over the next 24 hours and start observing actual current conditions to see which model if any is verifying. I put a quote in another thread that I'll post again here. Not that it's the exact same, but looking at the old data, there were a good many similarities.

At least part of the difficulty in predicting the evolution of this storm was related to the forecasts of the evolution of the upper pattern. A short wave over the southeast carved out a strong upper low that moved up the east coast as opposed to the earlier solutions of a weaker wave passing well off the coast. Noaa, Blizzard of 2000.

what i dont understand is why most people here dont get that? Not judging this event by any means, but how many times does one have to get their hopes up for something 5 days away to only have them crushed, before they understand how no one can predict this stuff that far out? Granted i know nothing, really nothing. But i know enough that if you are in the bullseye 5 days out, it probably isnt going to happen.

That being said, id love to get blasted this weekend. Keep some corporate visitors out of town Monday and Tuesday...lol

It took me a while to learn that a snowstorm on the model 5 days out doesn't mean a snowstorm is actually going to happen. Even now though I do get disappointed. Right now I am disappointed that things have taken a turn for the worse but you do get used to it with the weather hobby. The disappointments make the snowstorm that you do get even better. Hopefully you'll get enough snow QC that the corporate visitors can't make it.

I love the play by play of the model runs, but it would be nice if they said what it was showing was better or worse, and exactly what it shows for the snow.

Or you could take the time to learn how to read the maps. Then you wouldn't have to depend on someone telling you what's going on. Just a suggestion.

Just getting in...anyone know how things are looking for eastern NC at this time?

We prolly look better than anyone else at this time but most models arent phasing. Depending on the model we could see anywhere from a few inches up to maybe 6"+ the Euro was a decent run for us last night. Really need this thing to phase around the panhandle of Florida and come up 75-100 miles off NC bombing out to make htis a epic storm.

Archived