• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Christmas Storm I (general banter)

WeatherNC

lolz amazing how he can't figure out, "this isn't looking good" or "dream run" for if the run is good or bad.

:) I think what he may be getting at, is that sometimes it can get a little confusing, since we are such a diverse thread stretching from AL and TN all the way to the Atlantic, with all the different microclimates in between; rarely do we have a solution that makes ALL of us happy. When one person is all giddy, another is cliff diving. (of course right now it looks like ALL of us are cliff diving :( )

Having said that, though - usually if you read all the comments THOROUGHLY, you can figure out if it's good for your area, even with the scant amount of meteorologic knowledge that people like me have.

By the way - and I"ve been meaning to ask this for a while, but since we didn't have a banter thread before, I didn't want to bring it up - does anyone have some good resources for learning how to read the maps (beyond the disco that we sometimes get from the mets) and just gain basic knowledge about meteorology? I had several last year from Eastern, but my computer died last summer and I lost all my links - and then couldn't get them back later with the board going down. And frankly, I've had too much work going on to search the interwebz for them. If anyone has any they can post, I'd greatly appreciate it :thumbsup:

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If this storm busts it will for sure need it's own name for how badly the Euro played us.

Back a few years ago the euro got its name "Dr No" because it always said no when the gfs said yes. Now it's got just nasty w/ this teasing game. Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, NO!

The Euro showed a phased bomb along with the CMC back in early Nov. GFS said no and came out right. The NC mtns and east TN were looking to get hammered. both showed it for 4 runs in a row. We all know that if this was phasing to be a lakes cutter then it would have been game over at 5 days out. Guess i can get some sleep tonight what a waste of my time this week. Rant over now.:arrowhead:

So it looks like, if I'm viewing everything right, that the I-85 corridor in NC is the epicenter of whatever "snow event" may or may not happen.

Guess what I get to do on Christmas Day? Drive the I-85 corridor from Durham to Charlotte (well, Huntersville). And back again on Sunday.

So I'm torn. I want to be a weenie and do the snow dance for a white Christmas, except I'll have my family out on the highway in a rental car in the middle of it.

Ah, heck. BRING IT ON ANYWAY! :thumbsup:

I'm not liking the trends right now either. I'm affraid this will be just to far east and we don't see much precip. Hopefully I'm wrong and we'll see some good news on the models today. Now you can understand why RAH and local media don't throw out these warnings of a "big snowstorm" coming 5 days in advance. There always seem to be changes when nearing an event and most of the time they aren't good for our area. But I'm still very happy there is a chance of seeing some snow on Christmas and day after. It will make for a good holiday with the family.

So far my fears are being realized on the 12z runs. Everything is to far east (except the ggem which is in Cuba) and no moisture is making it to my area.

I nominate it The Grinch of 2010...or The Christmas Turkey of 2010.

Make a poll so we can vote if this really does bust but thats perfect. What really sucks is that if the Euro had a I95 runner that hammered the MA and NE 7 days out like it had our superbomb it would have been balls on correct. I tried to not get my hopes up and told myself wait till Thursday to get hyped up but I couldnt help it and when all the models came together Tues night I jumped on the train.........:axe:

lolz amazing how he can't figure out, "this isn't looking good" or "dream run" for if the run is good or bad.

I meant it would be good if we just had more specifics. Some of us just care about if it is going to snow or not. We don't care about knowing how to read the models.

Anyway, we should have known better to trust one model showing a monster storm when all the others said no, or were going all over the place. This just shows you these models can't be trusted at all when it comes to snow in the south.

I meant it would be good if we just had more specifics. Some of us just care about if it is going to snow or not. We don't care about knowing how to read the models.

Anyway, we should have known better to trust one model showing a monster storm when all the others said no, or were going all over the place. This just shows you these models can't be trusted at all when it comes to snow in the south.

you are probably on the wrong board if you want someone to do all the work for you. you can answer if its going to snow or not by looking at your local NWS site. stop being lazy if you actually have a real interest in wx. you obviously have more interest than the average viewer or you wouldn't be here.

:) I think what he may be getting at, is that sometimes it can get a little confusing, since we are such a diverse thread stretching from AL and TN all the way to the Atlantic, with all the different microclimates in between; rarely do we have a solution that makes ALL of us happy. When one person is all giddy, another is cliff diving. (of course right now it looks like ALL of us are cliff diving :( )

Yes, that is what I was trying to say, Thanks.

I (gasp) think Brick has a point, to some extent. Reading a PBP thread saying "low is in TX at 50 hrs" and then "BAH Game over" and quitting once a frame doesn't show a phase --> bomb isn't all that useful.

What a lot of people missed last night is that despite the Euro caving, there is still a pretty decent chance of disruptive snow in parts of NC, SC, and GA.

Hey. If any of you are looking for any last-minute gift ideas for me, I have one. I'd like the Euro, right here tonight. I want him brought from his happy holiday slumber over there across the pond and I want him brought right here, with a big ribbon on his head, and I want to look him straight in the eye and I want to tell him what a cheap, lying, no-good, rotten, four-flushing, low-life, snake-licking, dirt-eating, inbred, overstuffed, ignorant, blood-sucking, dog-kissing, brainless, ****less, hopeless, heartless, fat-***, bug-eyed, stiff-legged, spotty-lipped, worm-headed sack of monkey **** of a model he is. Hallelujah. Holy s*&^. Where's the Tylenol?

Now I am wondering if we will get anything at all out of this storm. What's the use in even having a forecast past three days? These models are useless outside 48 hours.

RDU is out of it. I would think maybe south/east of Fayetteville might get an inch or so. Central NC has had 4 months of really cold weather (including last year) with only 1 storm (5") to show for it. I really hope we torch or just get seasonable, I am sick of this cold weather.

lol.... very funny!

I just watched that movie 2 nights ago.

Hey. If any of you are looking for any last-minute gift ideas for me, I have one. I'd like the Euro, right here tonight. I want him brought from his happy holiday slumber over there across the pond and I want him brought right here, with a big ribbon on his head, and I want to look him straight in the eye and I want to tell him what a cheap, lying, no-good, rotten, four-flushing, low-life, snake-licking, dirt-eating, inbred, overstuffed, ignorant, blood-sucking, dog-kissing, brainless, ****less, hopeless, heartless, fat-***, bug-eyed, stiff-legged, spotty-lipped, worm-headed sack of monkey **** of a model he is. Hallelujah. Holy s*&^. Where's the Tylenol?

Archived