12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Christmas Storm I (general banter)

WeatherNC

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I guess any snow on Christmas is great, but I am worried about the model trends now. It seems they are getting worse instead of better, including the last Euro now. I am afraid they are just going to keep getting worse until there is nothing. And we're only 48 hours away now. It makes you wonder how the forecasters can trust them at all for any type of forecast outside 24 hours unless they show sunny and 75.

Well, I guess any snow on Christmas is great, but I am worried about the model trends now. It seems they are getting worse instead of better, including the last Euro now. I am afraid they are just going to keep getting worse until there is nothing. And we're only 48 hours away now. It makes you wonder how the forecasters can trust them at all for any type of forecast outside 24 hours unless they show sunny and 75.

I'm not liking the trends right now either. I'm affraid this will be just to far east and we don't see much precip. Hopefully I'm wrong and we'll see some good news on the models today. Now you can understand why RAH and local media don't throw out these warnings of a "big snowstorm" coming 5 days in advance. There always seem to be changes when nearing an event and most of the time they aren't good for our area. But I'm still very happy there is a chance of seeing some snow on Christmas and day after. It will make for a good holiday with the family.

I'm not liking the trends right now either. I'm affraid this will be just to far east and we don't see much precip. Hopefully I'm wrong and we'll see some good news on the models today. Now you can understand why RAH and local media don't throw out these warnings of a "big snowstorm" coming 5 days in advance. There always seem to be changes when nearing an event and most of the time they aren't good for our area. But I'm still very happy there is a chance of seeing some snow on Christmas and day after. It will make for a good holiday with the family.

Models aren't helping with this situation either. I mean the GFS is now leaving us with temp issues at 6z yet the euro slid a bit east and still delivers quite a storm for some areas. I love tracking weather and I hate tracking weather all at the same time!

Brick,

Last night's euro backed way way down but still gives us over .5 liquid. The 6z GFS backed up and it gives us near .5 liquid. So using 10:1 ratios (which could be too low) that would give us 5" or so. I would take that for a Christmas night to next day event.

Models aren't helping with this situation either. I mean the GFS is now leaving us with temp issues at 6z yet the euro slid a bit east and still delivers quite a storm for some areas. I love tracking weather and I hate tracking weather all at the same time!

The 78hr panel on the six-z GFS from NCEP is a little misleading with the 850 line, but soundings from twisterdata show the layer is isothermal and SN, before and after this time we are good on this run verbatim...

Yea, I know what you mean Shaggy. It can be a frustrating hobby sometimes. I have to remind myself sometimes that I'm in NC and not up north somewhere. It takes a lot of stuff to go right to get it to snow down here.

Now you can understand why RAH and local media don't throw out these warnings of a "big snowstorm" coming 5 days in advance.

what i dont understand is why most people here dont get that? Not judging this event by any means, but how many times does one have to get their hopes up for something 5 days away to only have them crushed, before they understand how no one can predict this stuff that far out? Granted i know nothing, really nothing. But i know enough that if you are in the bullseye 5 days out, it probably isnt going to happen.

That being said, id love to get blasted this weekend. Keep some corporate visitors out of town Monday and Tuesday...lol

Christmas Day: Snow likely. Cloudy, with a high near 34. Calm wind becoming west around 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

Saturday Night: Snow likely. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 25. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Sunday: A 20 percent chance of snow showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 34.

Sunday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 21.

Wonder when this wonderful forecast will disappear? Still have a little hope for the mid day and over night runs.

If, if the Euro has blown this one...I refuse to trust that model in the future. I'll wait until 12z to proclaim it a bonified bust. At this point, I can't even say the Euro outdid the GFS. However, this is the second storm in as many weeks that went "poof" once the storm was on North American soil.

On CPC today:

PNA is going positive for January.

AO is going positive.

NAO can't seem to get to neutral - stays just south of neutral.

6z GFS still doesn't have a classic Nina look for January - no matter what JB says.

Christmas Day: Snow likely. Cloudy, with a high near 34. Calm wind becoming west around 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

Saturday Night: Snow likely. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 25. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Sunday: A 20 percent chance of snow showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 34.

Sunday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 21.

Wonder when this wonderful forecast will disappear? Still have a little hope for the mid day and over night runs.

:thumbsup: i am hoping there is hope too! forecast here is snow/sleet fri night and snow saturday with heavy accumulations possible :) it better snow since i have already made everyone mad by informing them if it snows christmas they can celebrate at my house instead :scooter: (ie., i wont be at the usual family gathering)

If, if the Euro has blown this one...I refuse to trust that model in the future. I'll wait until 12z to proclaim it a bonified bust. At this point, I can't even say the Euro outdid the GFS. However, this is the second storm in as many weeks that went "poof" once the storm was on North American soil.

On CPC today:

PNA is going positive for January.

AO is going positive.

NAO can't seem to get to neutral - stays just south of neutral.

6z GFS still doesn't have a classic Nina look for January - no matter what JB says.

The Euro has failed before. Every model has. And again, they aren't people. There's no reason not to "trust" them because they didn't give you the snowstorm you wanted. Would you still hate the Euro if it said no snow and then a snowstorm showed up?

I am still going to ride the white christmas train until the end. You just never know, these models don't know everything.

Any snow falling is a + on Christmas Day.

Watching and reading everyone's post 24x7 all week has been a HUGE educational experience for me. I have certainly learned a lot about this process of forecasting.

The Euro has failed before. Every model has. And again, they aren't people. There's no reason not to "trust" them because they didn't give you the snowstorm you wanted. Would you still hate the Euro if it said no snow and then a snowstorm showed up?

Widre. I don't know you, and generally ignore your posts due to their lack of weather content. However, to be clear...The Euro this winter and last winter has not been a good model good in my opinion - especially in my region. Let's wait until the 12z and have this discussion. But if it folds at 12z, it spent three to four days w/ an erroneous, extreme solution.

It's obvious today that a LOT of people bought into the superstorm scenario. So a lot are probably going to be disappointed.

Give me an inch of snow and I'm happy. 3+ and I'm jumping for joy. If I want to see a ton of it, I'll go spend a weekend with my friend who lives in Banner Elk.

Archived