• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Christmas Storm I (general banter)

WeatherNC

Tonight...Snow likely after midnight. Little or no snow accumulation. Lows around 30. Light and variable winds. Chance of snow 70 percent.

Christmas Day...Snow likely in the morning...then a chance of snow in the afternoon. Snow accumulation up to 1 inch. Highs in the mid 30s. Northwest winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of snow 70 percent.

Saturday Night...Mostly cloudy with a chance of snow in the evening...then a slight chance of snow after midnight. Lows in the mid 20s. Northwest winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of snow 30 percent.

Still have snow in the forecast and temps are lower than last night!:snowman::thumbsup:

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going to get real busy here in just a little while...keep the good disco going and I'll check back in during the day. I'm still excited about this storm, for some reason. :)

I hope everyone ends up full as a tick, happy as a clam and Merry in the Christmas!!!

Peach

Same to you and yours Peach, we're doing christmas today at my sister's house in anderson, my house in the morning. Will check in later! Generally I think most all of us see some fall which makes me happy and want to say that it will be better in Ga and upstate than forecast right now, thinking the precip is underdone like it has been the last couple of storms.

I am sitting fairly well right now for snow. HPC has me around .50-.60 qpf for the event and i'm hoping for a little overperformance. This may be one of the storms where its better for me to be further east. Usually I am getting a mixed bag while 15 miles west of me sees snow. Really hoping for a bump in qpf. If I can get it up to .75- .85 then I could stand to get a bit better event.

Looks like RAH is canceling the Winter Weenie Advisory...

Christmas Day: A slight chance of snow before noon, then a chance of rain and snow. Cloudy, with a high near 39. Calm wind becoming southwest around 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%. Little or no snow accumulation expected.

Saturday Night: A chance of snow. Cloudy, with a low around 27. Calm wind becoming north around 6 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%.

Sunday: A chance of snow, mainly before noon. Cloudy, with a high near 34. North wind between 8 and 11 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

And I was so hoping to be able to use this as an excuse to get out of Christmas with the in-laws' family down in Charlotte... unsure.gif.

I will be going to Mississippi for this event... any chance we might see some flakes/sleet mixed in with the rain? I'm assuming not but I haven't seen any MS/AL/LA posters on here.

06zgfs850mbTSLPp06042.gifI'll be a little ways northwest of the 0 on that map... not sure about surface temperatures however.

I'm a little disappointed FFC went from saying 2-4 inches in North GA and 1-2 inches in Atlanta and southward to saying maybe 1/2 inch at most south of Rome and Gainesville.

Going to entertaing in light of the 12z GFS, partcularly if the EMCF trends stronger once again. Does FFC take the conservative approach, or go ahead and pull the trigger an issue a WSW for N. Central Ga. :popcorn:

Going to entertaing in light of the 12z GFS, partcularly if the EMCF trends stronger once again. Does FFC take the conservative approach, or go ahead and pull the trigger an issue a WSW for N. Central Ga. :popcorn:

Remember it's just one run. There isn't the support they need to justify warnings, or even advisories for most of N GA.

Man, tracking this storm rivals any roller coaster ride I've had at Six Flags or Carowinds. We're getting snow on Christmas, then we're getting potentially heavy snow on Christmas, then we're getting flurries, then jack, then flurries, now the GFS is trending towards the earlier great Euro runs of something decent-to-significant.

While I'm a confirmed :weenie: who definitely likes the model that's showing the best solution for my backyard, it's been quite amusing to see some of the comments about how Model X is crap due to showing no snow and Model Y is great because it's showing it - only to see a 180-degree shift in opinion 12 hours later when the models show a different result.

And now the GFS apparently had initialization errors. :arrowhead: Sheesh!

feel a little funny posting this, but since its the banter thread...

So we've had the euphoria, then the pullback that always seems to happen, so maybe this is the return to hope. Does anyone know what the modeling portrayed when this system hit Southern Cal? I am guessing it overperformed there, so hoping it does the same when it drops to the gulf and makes its turn.

feel a little funny posting this, but since its the banter thread...

So we've had the euphoria, then the pullback that always seems to happen, so maybe this is the return to hope. Does anyone know what the modeling portrayed when this system hit Southern Cal? I am guessing it overperformed there, so hoping it does the same when it drops to the gulf and makes its turn.

It made Las Vegas into a swimming pool.

How does the QPF look for the Triangle in NC? I know it's .5"ish for CLT but...

Weenie Post Alert: Any know the QPF from the last Euro run for I-95 and points east (RWI, PGV, FAY)? Any temperature problems?

God, I hope tomorrow we are all like

and not like

Queencity posted this in the main thread:

"Here's a QPF comparison for some selected cities:

Fayetteville(KFAY):

GFS: .89

NAM: .29

ECM: .48

Raleigh/Durham Intl(KRDU):

GFS: .81

ECM: .28

Charlotte(KCLT):

GFS: .52

NAM: .25

ECM: .39 "

I have a bad feeling the majority of the precip in ATL wil fall as rain with just some flurries/light snow at the very end.

Just cause the GFS Bufkit says that doesn't mean its gonna happen like that. Temps might be a problem the first half or so of the storm but I think they will crash later on.

Queencity posted this in the main thread:

"Here's a QPF comparison for some selected cities:

Fayetteville(KFAY):

GFS: .89

ECM: .48

Raleigh/Durham Intl(KRDU):

GFS: .81

ECM: .28

Charlotte(KCLT):

GFS: .52

NAM: .25

ECM: .39 "

I'd glady take that if it were all snow. The GFS really shocks me coming around at the end with the most precip.

Archived