Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Christmas Storm I (general banter)

WeatherNC

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FFC now says a dusting south of the WWA in N GA. Maybe the 12z/18Z runs had bad data, but wow. I have a feeling they will be playing catch up with this one.

I would expect them to wait until after the 0z runs. It's Christmas and not many people are going to be checking weather updates tomorrow morning. They may be better served letting this one be a Christmas miracle.

Tonight...Snow likely after midnight. Little or no snow accumulation. Lows around 30. Light and variable winds. Chance of snow 60 percent.

Christmas Day...Rain and snow likely. Snow accumulation around 1 inch. Highs in the lower 30s. Northwest winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation 70 percent.

Saturday Night...Mostly cloudy with a 40 percent chance of snow. Lows in the mid 20s. Northwest winds 5 to 15 mph.

Sunday...Mostly cloudy with a slight chance of snow in the morning...then a chance of rain and snow in the afternoon. Windy. Highs in the mid 30s. Northwest winds 10 to 20 mph. Chance of precipitation 30 percent.

I am hoping that there will be more than an inch up here, from reading the latest up to .5 qpf for this area.

I am loving the trends today. Even if it were to turn out not to be a big, big storm, it has sure been exciting to follow.

This has been emotionally exhausting. I swear I get way to emotionally involved with snow sometimes. It's just a labor of love which I cannot explain. arrowheadsmiley.png

At least I get a nice vacation in England starting New Year's Eve to wind down.

Mike Maze on WRAL-Raleigh just said there 'might be' accumulating snow in Atlanta tomorrow. Didn't talk about any numbers here in the local area, other than it could be heavier East of I95.

Are they even looking at the model runs this afternoon and evening? Raleigh and east could get hit hard according to the latest model runs, and people are really going to be caught offguard. This is between 1 and 1.25 for Raleigh and east.

18zgfsensemblep72072.gif

Are they even looking at the model runs this afternoon and evening? Raleigh and east could get hit hard according to the latest model runs, and people are really going to be caught offguard. This is between 1 and 1.25 for Raleigh and east.

He did mention that if the track is further west the amounts would go up. At this time he can't base his entire forecast off of the gfs. So far the gfs has to be considered the outlier since no other models have that type of track or qpf. I'm not saying the gfs is wrong, I'm just saying they're other models that have far less.

18zgfsensemblep72072.gif

fortunately xmas day night is not a huge travel time for folks, although they maybe staying at their inlaws a little longer than expected.

18zgfsensemblep72072.gif

With the demands of live ongoing broadcast tv, do they have time to examine all the latest models and data? I would think they are not peering at every bit of new data that comes out during the live tv news block.

With the demands of live ongoing broadcast tv, do they have time to examine all the latest models and data? I would think they are not peering at every bit of new data that comes out during the live tv news block.

id imagine the major channels the staff increases in these times, or at last some intern is on a laptop in the back room model tracking

For those in the RDU area here is an interesting article on the models WRAL uses.

http://www.wral.com/weather/story/8821667/

Merry Christmas guys! I can't think of a better Christmas present for a bunch of Weater Weenies like us is for this thing to come back and give us all a "real" white Christmas exceeding the official 1" threshold. I'm holding my breath and might even leave Santa a little of the sacrement just for good measure....:thumbsup:

Archived