Newest Member
    joxey
March 13 - 15 Major Winter Storm Potential

NEG NAO

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Stormlover74 said:

Yeah 850s get close to central jersey at 12z but most of the area would be snow even LI

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

The Ukie is still cutting it very close, and I imagine that would hurt ratios for a time here.

1 minute ago, Rjay said:

It's tough to tell.  Looks like NYC is 33 at the surface and below 32 at 850mb. 

The GGEM is probably too amped as Forkyfork said, as is its bias. The GFS is probably too progressive, also as is its bias. I think the Euro will be interesting and if it shows something *reasonable*, will probably ride it. My guess is it falls somewhere between GFS-land and GGEM-land. 

11 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Some extreme drifting with the track just SE of MTP. True blizzard conditions and gusts across LI in the 60 to perhaps 70 mph range with the LLJ max going right over LI.

P1_GZ_D5_PN_048_0000.gif.4abef889ab476b5ee224edbfe571b300.gif

P1_GZ_D5_PN_060_0000.gif.a1d999951dd4c341450ca64b9422fcf4.gif

That's would be a true blizzard. Also coastal impacts with that track are going to be major. The last thing you want is power outages during a beast like that. This crosses from a run of the mill heavy snow that we can handle to potentially damaging and life threatening 

2 minutes ago, mimillman said:

The GGEM is probably too amped as Forkyfork said, as is its bias. The GFS is probably too progressive, also as is its bias. I think the Euro will be interesting and if it shows something *reasonable*, will probably ride it. My guess is it falls somewhere between GFS-land and GGEM-land. 

Do you know of any bias for ukmet? Recently I think it's been better with larger storms than even the euro. 

4 minutes ago, F5TornadoF5 said:

Do you know of any bias for ukmet? Recently I think it's been better with larger storms than even the euro. 

It's cerifacation scores at this time frame are quite close to the euro. For this storm it's been by far the most consistent model for the last 3-4 days

5 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

That's would be a true blizzard. Also coastal impacts with that track are going to be major. The last thing you want is power outages during a beast like that. This crosses from a run of the mill heavy snow that we can handle to potentially damaging and life threatening 

With a tucked in track near the coast, there's a bigger coastal flood threat especially for the high tide on Tuesday AM. I still think the low goes somewhere between Nantucket and Block Island (probably over the Cape) but IMO the wrapped up track just off the NJ coast can't be discounted. Even these wrapped up solutions have 90% of the storm as snow for everyone. We'll see soon what the Euro has to say. 

1 hour ago, SACRUS said:

Updating exact (in prorgess)

3/12 12Z Guidance Summary:

QPF / SNow range NYC area

SREF: 1.30 - 1.55 / 10 - 18"

NAM:  1.00 /  6 - 12"

PNAM: 1.70 - 1.95 /  15 - 22"

RGEM: 1.65 - 1.80 / 10 - 18" 

GFS: 0.85 - 1.15 / 8 - 12"

GEFS:
GGM:

UKMET:
JMA:

ECM:
EPS:

EPS:

Love this 

Just now, jm1220 said:

With a tucked in track near the coast, there's a bigger coastal flood threat especially for the high tide on Tuesday AM. I still think the low goes somewhere between Nantucket and Block Island (probably over the Cape) but IMO the wrapped up track just off the NJ coast can't be discounted. Even these wrapped up solutions have 90% of the storm as snow for everyone. We'll see soon what the Euro has to say. 

Do you think that a wrapped up low like this - as strong as it may be - will stay as all snow for the immediate NYC Metro Area even if it is as close to the coast as modeled by the UKMET and CMC?

2 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

This is the warmest the UKMET gets. Looks good for everyone (except for far, far E LI, which might warm over 0C for a couple hours). If only there was an 18z timestamp. :lol:

TT_GZ_UU_VV_048_0850.gif

You're such an improved poster.   Great stuff all season from you!

4 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

I couldn't agree with you more.   I think the models are too wrapped up today.   They usually tick east after an overcorrection west.  This is straight up modelology but I've seen it so many times that it's hard to ignore.

14 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

The really detailed Euro products will be out soon so we can see if it comes in a little closer with stronger impacts like the UKIE did.

5 minutes ago, NYCGreg said:

Do you think that a wrapped up low like this - as strong as it may be - will stay as all snow for the immediate NYC Metro Area even if it is as close to the coast as modeled by the UKMET and CMC?

It would be close. The eastern half of Suffolk would likely mix, maybe even me for a time. If the low goes ENE from the NJ coast it would stop the warm air advancing north. 

QPF / SNow range NYC area

SREF: 1.30 - 1.55 / 10 - 18"

NAM:  1.00 /  6 - 12"

PNAM: 1.70 - 1.95 /  15 - 22"

RGEM: 1.65 - 1.80 / 10 - 18" 

GFS: 0.85 - 1.15 / 8 - 12"

GEFS:
GGM:  2.35 / 18 - 22"

UKMET: 2.30 / 18 -24"
JMA: 1.25 - 1.55 / 12 - 18 "

ECM:
EPS:

2 minutes ago, Rjay said:

You're such an improved poster.   Great stuff all season from you!

Thanks, man. I've had to learn a bit to prepare myself for my atmospheric science undergrad at PSU next year. ;)

All of you guys have helped me learn along the way since BDB, and I sincerely thank all of you. I wouldn't nearly know as much about the weather and the way it works without this forum and its posters.

Archived