Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Model Mayhem VI

Typhoon Tip

4 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

GFS has a slower evolution than the EURO.

I was thinking that a fast total evolution wouldn't be terrible when mapped against the season fast flow tendency, no.. 

Also, I recall the GFS having to speed up a couple of system earlier this season, too, particularly from this sort of lead time heading inwards.  

Not saying one can slow down... just that a speedier total affair has plenty of precedence for a few reasons - 

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I'm just joking...but if I'm a betting man the odds would be stacked more towards recent confirmation bias, haha.

Good off season case study to look at the last 5 years worth of big ticket events.

I am curious if it is scientifically possible to track h5 from AC over LI and to left of the elbow anymore. ? 

6 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

6+ days out is a flag. Everything else falls inside that thinking.  That is the only and most important flag.

Yeah the fact that it is 6 days trumps any sort of other "red flag" such as "the ukie is southeast" or anything along those lines...OP runs move all the time. Hell, the Feb 2013 blizzard had zero model support when the Euro started showing it about 132 hours out until we got inside 96 hours...zero. Remember it went like 3-4 straight runs going solo? Lol.

I feel like expectations are way too high for a day 6 threat on this one. There are positives for sure...there is multi-model ensemble support and it hasn't waivered all that much int he past couple days...those are positives. But that can easily break apart in 1 or 2 runs when we are this far out. Folks should remember that.

14 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Anything that falls here now just pads the stats at this point.

Unless we can do a 2001 redux - had 20" deeper pack on the 31st than on the 1st.  (Of course, Farmington crushed its March snowfall record that year.  Only a superweenie would expect a repeat.)

11 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah the fact that it is 6 days trumps any sort of other "red flag" such as "the ukie is southeast" or anything along those lines...OP runs move all the time. Hell, the Feb 2013 blizzard had zero model support when the Euro started showing it about 132 hours out until we got inside 96 hours...zero. Remember it went like 3-4 straight runs going solo? Lol.

I feel like expectations are way too high for a day 6 threat on this one. There are positives for sure...there is multi-model ensemble support and it hasn't waivered all that much int he past couple days...those are positives. But that can easily break apart in 1 or 2 runs when we are this far out. Folks should remember that.

That's what frustrates me about this science sometimes (but is also good for entertainment.)  We can track eclipses thousands of years in advance but forecasting a storm 6 days out is much more uncertain.  Maybe one day it won't be- if we can whittle down on the chunk of uncertainty governed by chaos theory.

16 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Anything that falls here now just pads the stats at this point.

True and I'm generally fine with that.  At least if we get some decent snow, there won't be calls to open the golf course a month early, like we did in 2012.  Our small course just can't generate the revenue to justify an entire month's extra operating expenses and yet we get a lot of pressure from members when other places are open and we aren't.

16 minutes ago, mreaves said:
True and I'm generally fine with that.  At least if we get some decent snow, there won't be calls to open the golf course a month early, like we did in 2012.  Our small course just can't generate the revenue to justify an entire month's extra operating expenses and yet we get a lot of pressure from members when other places are open and we aren't.

That happens everywhere, Course I was a member at for 20+ yrs was one that always had a later opening.

15 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah for sure. Everyone panicked when the GFS didn't  show it.  It's a model eternity as we all say.Right now, the best thing going is the model agreement. Biggest questions is how the moisture off the SE coast either interacts with the Plains s/w...or screws it up.

Archived