joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Model Mayhem VI

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's about a 40 hour storm on the GFS. Fun eye candy, but relatively meaningless at D6-7. At least there's a very strong signal for some type of system within a few hundred miles of us around that time with very good antecedent airmass conditions.

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

That's about a 40 hour storm on the GFS. Fun eye candy, but relatively meaningless at D6-7. At least there's a very strong signal for some type of system within a few hundred miles of us around that time with very good antecedent airmass conditions.

That's what had been missing on many of these this winter, Good sign for this one.

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Why are people in the NYC subforum saying that it's a step back and cuts snowfall totals in half over the 6z run?

21 minutes ago, leesun said:

I was in NY at the time.  I remember it well. The forecast the night before was for 1-3" changing to rain along the coast.  Where I was on south coast of Long Island received over 30"

Really over 30"? I thought it was more like 12-18 lol.  I assume you're talking about the Jan Blizzard since you mentioned the forecast of change to rain.

1 minute ago, Paragon said:

Yeah, they just said a little faster and a little further east than the 6z run.

It was def a little east...but that change is meaningless at 6 days out...runs will shift a lot between now and verification.

Just now, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Also, lol at microanalyzing and comparing op runs at D6. 

OT but my favorite is when people are trying to analyze runs as they come out and one guy says "it went east!" and the next guy says 'it went west!" or, "wow what a crush job" and the next guy says "it's a rainstorm" - it happens all too often.

2 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

... the inevitable, proverbial "black-out" intervals loom.. 

That's when we finally come to what appears to be an early consensus on a trend (not so much a final solution), then... monkey wrench the hell out of it with several runs that totally lose it seemingly out of nowhere and for no apparent physical reason.  

About half the time, the system suddenly re-emerges ..oh, D 4, after the hiatus.  Other times, they don't... chalk it up to perturbation/chaos/fractals getting a say in matters. 

The thing is, if they do come back ...such as the muse above, that D 4 seems to suddenly have a higher confidence interval - not mathematically/statistically derived per se.  You just seem to know it's coming.  Contrasting, we wring hands waiting for a comeback that either never takes place ...or, you end up with some weird coincident other minoring ordeal that takes some of the bite pressure away.  But this paragraph confused the observations re the modeling behavior with sentiment...

Point is, since there certainly plenty of precedence for it, we shouldn't be surprised if we do lose it for a couple few cycels, only to have it re-emerge. 

Also, ...this may be an opportunity to test the following:  often times ...big deal events don't disappear in the guidance like that.  The reason why is because they are more keyed at planetary wave scales and the modulation at those scales .. the storm is part and parcel to large mass-field correction events. It's hard to perturb with butterfly wing flaps, an entire planetary atmospheric signal - the latter is too overwhelming and absorbs those influences. It's really all Newton's First Law in action...  Objects in motion will stay in motion until acted upon by some force capable of altering its momentum (not the exact text but interpretive -) Well, daily perturbations are less 'capable' of exacting a momentum change on a very large process already in motion. It's remarkably elegantly simple. 

And, there are other examples that are sort of in between that take on both the fleeting events, up to the scale of the 'adjustment bureau bombs.' Take April 1997... That wasn't a huge PW scaled correction event, but it was marked deeply in the atmospheric physics enough, too, that it was picked up and less likely to erode per perturbation ...from some five to seven days out in time.  That's the same for 1992, December. ...etc.  

But, March of 1993?  That's pretty much the apex quintessential example of the entire hemisphere getting in on the forcing... That sucker popped up on the MRF ensembles at like D13 ...not kidding. I remember it up at UML. 

what you on say on 93 is absolutely true. I bet you can find newspaper articles talking about this storm from 5 day lead time.  Its the one that got me hooked on the idea that you can see big ones from far away.  Kind of makes sense literally - there's a big mountain, way over there, but you can't see the house on it until you get close.

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

It was def a little east...but that change is meaningless at 6 days out...runs will shift a lot between now and verification.

Yeah and I would opine that those anomalously warm SST that have been fueling our big snowstorms the last couple of years, even in mild winters, will do their work and keep the storm closer to the coast.  Funny difference between the 80s and now- the winters were colder back then but are snowier now, thanks to the higher moisture content and altered storm track (back then secondaries seemed to develop further offshore and the timing was off between cold air and snow.)  These days we just need one or two days of cold weather to get above normal snow, and the rest of the time it can be mild.

1 minute ago, cleetussnow said:

what you on say on 93 is absolutely true. I bet you can find newspaper articles talking about this storm from 5 day lead time.  Its the one that got me hooked on the idea that you can see big ones from far away.  Kind of makes sense literally - there's a big mountain, way over there, but you can't see the house on it until you get close.

Yes, but the great thing is when all the major players line up, you just know it's going to happen.  The only thing that could have been better with that storm was a benchmark track and it slowing down or even stalling and then doing a loop.

Archived