Newest Member
    joxey
Coop Crushing Snow 02/15/17

dryslot

• Replies 762
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

You'll see small tweaks sometimes during the off hours, but they won't make any wholesale changes...those come with the main forecast updates either afternoon or overnight hours.

For the record, we should be more prone to wholesale changes during intermediate updates in this new enhanced short term paradigm. But alas, most people just sit on headlines/forecasts until the main packages. 

I know GYX treats swing shifts more like a babysitter, and just ferries the forecast to the midnight shift. Other offices will actually use it to change the forecast (I mean you do get 18z runs, early 00z runs, and meso models). 

Almost every model has the LL convergence zone swinging down across E MA later in this event...so I would absolutely keep an eye on this as there could be a few hour period of fairly intense snow. This part of a norlun is generally going to be handled pretty poorly by models...so don't obsess over qpf outputs and think there will be basically nothing or just light snows. That might happen, but I think there is a real threat for something a little more impactful.

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Almost every model has the LL convergence zone swinging down across E MA later in this event...so I would absolutely keep an eye on this as there could be a few hour period of fairly intense snow. This part of a norlun is generally going to be handled pretty poorly by models...so don't obsess over qpf outputs and think there will be basically nothing or just light snows. That might happen, but I think there is a real threat for something a little more impactful.

yea I didn't see a NE tick on mesos at all in fact the Mesos are better in NE Mass at 12 Z versus 6Z with qpf

16 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah, was not the highest confidence forecast for BOS. Definitely conveyed the uncertainty, that swing down of the trough..and the point where the low level convergence develops overnight is a tough call.

17 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Good advice.  However, the next NORLUN that really dumps on my location will be the first in 19 winters here (and 13 in Gardiner.)  Most do their damage farther south.

41 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

How much is this a norlun versus a meso-low? 

I'm seeing a well defined SLP at ~985 mb right off the coast of NH/MA border on the 12z rgem.

The signal --in my eyes-- is more of a meso low type impact, which is why we should expect more significant and  especially broad impacts relative to a norlun.

1 minute ago, jbenedet said:

I'm seeing a well defined SLP at ~985 mb right off the coast of NH/MA border on the 12z rgem.

The signal --in my eyes-- is more of a meso low type impact, which is why we should expect more significant and  especially broad impacts relative to a norlun.

Oceanwx mentioned that there was more of a look of a widespread snowfall up here vs. a narrow norlun-only.  I can' get over how much fog there is right now...and sort of mist.  Brian isn't seeing that in CON but it is very unusual to me, just before a snowstorm starts.  I guess we are getting strong inflow from the s and se?   I have to think it bodes well once the lift arrives.

8 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

I'm seeing a well defined SLP at ~985 mb right off the coast of NH/MA border. 

4 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

Oceanwx mentioned that there was more of a look of a widespread snowfall up here vs. a narrow norlun-only.  I can' get over how much fog there is right now...and sort of mist.  Brian isn't seeing that in CON but it is very unusual to me, just before a snowstorm starts.  I guess we are getting strong inflow from the s and se?   I have to think it bodes well once the lift arrives.

This is definitely more of a hybrid. A NORLUN trough has pretty specific criteria. This is definitely embedded in a broad synoptic scale lift environment, but the inverted trough will focus a band of heavier snow in there.

A NORLUN has a duration requirement, and I'm not entirely sure that this will remain stationary for that long, but it will be close. The other criteria are all check marks though.

Just now, OceanStWx said:

This is definitely more of a hybrid. A NORLUN trough has pretty specific criteria. This is definitely embedded in a broad synoptic scale lift environment, but the inverted trough will focus a band of heavier snow in there.

A NORLUN has a duration requirement, and I'm not entirely sure that this will remain stationary for that long, but it will be close. The other criteria are all check marks though.

Noticed two separate shortwaves in the flow, don't know the impacts but animate the WV

GANIMjIpj2Y20.jpg

2 hours ago, dryslot said:

Like the one a few years back for here when we were under a WSW and ended up receiving 0"....................:ph34r:

Was on the phone with Keith Carson talking about that yesterday. He also was bullish for PWM, and I think we didn't even get a flake.

But if I'm remembering correctly, Isles of Shoals got crushed...

3 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Was on the phone with Keith Carson talking about that yesterday. He also was bullish for PWM, and I think we didn't even get a flake.

But if I'm remembering correctly, Isles of Shoals got crushed...

I watched his FB livecast yesterday and he had mentioned he spoke with you guys, Kept waiting for the radar to blossom on that event and it just never happened, But that's the fickle nature of these right up until they actually appear, You have a general idea where these are favored but that still is no guarantee that it happens

Archived