joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 9th Coastal Storm Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad to see most everyone in for something good. Magical thinking now is some monster bands over ORH county into NE CT, NWRI, up into Merrimac Valley/Cape Anne, with secondary bands over Berks. Minimal subsidence outside the bands. (Note: I did say magical thinking, my new term of the week).

Reality looks pretty good as is.

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah you can see how the high res stuff gets cute with bands. It's tough to take verbatim though as the hi res models can shift around. 

I was just looking and didn't realize how fast this thing moves through... that 12z NAM is like 6-9 hours of snow.

Holy crap its going to nuke for those hours...should be like a 6 hour orgasm lol.

The big amounts on those snow maps though give me pause.  Its gotta go bonkers to get 12-16" in that period of time.

Just now, powderfreak said:

I was just looking and didn't realize how fast this thing moves through... that 12z NAM is like 6-9 hours of snow.

Holy crap its going to nuke for those hours...should be like a 6 hour orgasm lol.

The big amounts on those snow maps though give me pause.  Its gotta go bonkers to get 12-16" in that period of time.

The key is to see how the band slows the eastward movement as low pressure develops. Where that happens is where best snow will be. So it does not close off and pivot like classic KUs...but where it slows is key.

Just now, Whineminster said:

a 10" storm is good, but it's still a bit of a pooper compared to some recent winters.  

lol.  Tell that to Eastern NY up through BTV.

This is an awesome event for one that sort of snuck up.  The alternative was a cape scrapper like 72 hours ago.

I'd be very stoked in SNE for anything over 6" that falls in this.  And its not like some 8-12" in 18 hours deal... this should be pretty exciting while it happens.

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

The key is to see how the band slows the eastward movement as low pressure develops. Where that happens is where best snow will be. So it does not close off and pivot like classic KUs...but where it slows is key.

Yeah makes sense.  I was just looking at that 4km NAM run and it seems to do it over western Mass.  The band shoots out ahead of the system and then slows and sort of almost pivots but then picks up steam moving East again.  Then almost does it again over Eastern Mass.

2 minutes ago, weathafella said:

That's why western guys especially in orographically to inflow prone areas jumped too early.  ORH hills to TOL to mpm will jack with a secondary jack over interior SE MA and most of NE MA.

Going Climo is always a safe bet.
Red-flag I'm noticing as 11th hour approaches is the diverge between NAM (usually higher QPF) is much lower than the GFS. Still much to be resolved IMO.  

Archived