Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February 9th Coastal Storm Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I would not be expecting more than 6" if I were you.  

29 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Agreed.   7" for you 8" for me.    That kind of deal

Caveat...watching for more SE shifts

Agreed.  This smells of something that can exit stage right.  No difference for in the southern and the further east areas.  But it continues the series of winters without a major hit for GC.  If I can get 7, I'll break 50 on the pretty meh season. 

6 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Anyway, besides micro analyzing the little e ticks overnight, unless 12z continues it....i see no reason to change the 8-12" call for sne. 

I remember when Danbury used to crush on more tucked in lows that would cause him mixing issues but we don't see those tracks anymore, anyways so far 6z is okay and hopefully there are no more "noise" adj se later today

and hopefully it warms up bc everything is a sheet of ice here

4 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

Agreed.  This smells of something that can exit stage right.  No difference for in the southern and the further east areas.  But it continues the series of winters without a major hit for GC.  If I can get 7, I'll break 50 on the pretty meh season. 

yup, Albany out of the picture again

you have done better this winter but it is mostly smaller overrunning events, I would love to see a coastal hugger bury you guys with no worry about taint

5 minutes ago, codfishsnowman said:

I remember when Danbury used to crush on more tucked in lows that would cause him mixing issues but we don't see those tracks anymore, anyways so far 6z is okay and hopefully there are no more "noise" adj se later today

and hopefully it warms up bc everything is a sheet of ice here

Yea, those where the days. *tear*. they will return though, we will get back to a stretch of 5/6 winters of tucky tuckies. 

30 minutes ago, codfishsnowman said:

yup, Albany out of the picture again

you have done better this winter but it is mostly smaller overrunning events, I would love to see a coastal hugger bury you guys with no worry about taint

We're not out (well, Albany is), but it's now looking much less exciting out here than it did 18 hours ago. 

At the risk of sounding like Leo Durocher, there's always next season.

1 minute ago, moneypitmike said:

We're not out (well, Albany is), but it's now looking much less exciting out here than it did 18 hours ago. 

Seasonal trend has been for these systems to shift east so don't think this one should be any different, We would need some change in the track orientation up here with more of a NNE trajectory rather then the ENE that's happening when it gets to this lat, It gets the boot at the BM and that's not good.

2 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Thanks for posting that Steve.   Yeah I thought of that system as soon as I saw the setup.

uncle W

I remember that year very well...It was mild on Sunday 2/5/67..It was 58 on 2/2 with wet snow after a cold front passed...The temperature was on a roller coaster ride that week...Monday morning there was a quick 2-3" of snow and much colder temperatures...The snow ended before noon and the Sun was visible in the Afternoon and at least half of it melted...By midnight it was cloudy again and snow started after midnight...The temperatures were in the low teens most of the time and was nine when the storm ended...The temperature dropped to six the next morning...Then it got milder before another arctic shot hit...The roller coaster continued as temperatures thawed to 60 a few days later...

1 minute ago, moneypitmike said:

We were never really in it, but good luck to everyone over there. I'm impressed you've managed 50" this season...I've had significantly less just to your NW. I've been splitting time the past several years between here and CT(where I was born and raised) so that's where I've been getting my snow fix. You should still do fine, even if it's less than the E MA snow belt. I'll be stuck in NYS for this one, but I still expect maybe an inch or two.

10 minutes ago, Stash said:

We were never really in it, but good luck to everyone over there. I'm impressed you've managed 50" this season...I've had significantly less just to your NW. I've been splitting time the past several years between here and CT(where I was born and raised) so that's where I've been getting my snow fix. You should still do fine, even if it's less than the E MA snow belt. I'll be stuck in NYS for this one, but I still expect maybe an inch or two.

Hold on their, Hoss.  I only have 50 IF I get 7" from this.  I'm at 43".

If the far NW band sets up in the Litchtfield Hills into the Eastern Berkshires, Albany might have trouble hitting 2" as subsidence to the NW of the band eats our snow.  Looking for a sharper northwest cutoff than what is modelled.  If the decade continues as it has, it will be interesting to see how much Alb avg. snowfall drops again in 2020.  It's been ticking down ever since I've moved up here as the new SNE snowbelt develops.

14 minutes ago, Stash said:

We only need 18" to bring us up to normal.  All it takes is like a 150 mile tick NW.  

Archived