Newest Member
    joxey
February banter thread

Eskimo Joe

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, J.Mike said:

Why did VA/Fairfax County decide to use taxpayer money to spread brine on the streets (specifically Little River Tpk).

Not just FF CO, Loudoun Co put brine down today out in Sterling in the area of Waxpool and 28, and not just a little.  They put it down enforce to the point it was causing a dust-up in some places as cars drove by.  Just nauseatingly absurd given what all the brine does in the waterways when it runs off.  Dunno why we don't use beet juice like they do in the upper midwest.  It works at much lower temps and is far more environmentally friendly.  Probably somebody complained about the beet juice giving the waterfoul the runs...  I ain't a tree-hugger when it comes to the environment, but there should be some penalty for this sort of thing...

1 minute ago, Stormpc said:

All of NOVA was brined today. I dont undetstand it. My car is white again but Ive got nothing to show for it. It looks like I spent 2 weeks in Regina.

By brined do you mean salted? If so, welcome to my world. They salt the roads around here well into April every time we get a cold rain.

7 minutes ago, snowsux said:

By brined do you mean salted? If so, welcome to my world. They salt the roads around here well into April every time we get a cold rain.

It is a salt based liquid brine, called brine around here.  It is akin to liquid rust on anything ferrous.  It really is amazing, VDOT, FF Co, Loudoun Co...  all of em...  if sh*t was brains they collectively couldn't pass enough gas to make a toot....

41 minutes ago, RDM said:

It is a salt based liquid brine, called brine around here.  It is akin to liquid rust on anything ferrous.  It really is amazing, VDOT, FF Co, Loudoun Co...  all of em...  if sh*t was brains they collectively couldn't pass enough gas to make a toot....

Here in the Pittsburgh area, they still mostly use good ol' fashioned rock salt. Especially in the eastern suburbs where everything else is behind the times by at least 20 years as well.

Because some parents are too selfish to keep a sick kid home and take a day off work.  We've dealt with this as well.  Sick kid goes off to school and the parents know 100% their kid is sick but can't get a sitter or they think work is too important to miss.  So kid goes off, barfs everywhere and everyone gets it.

Happens with lice as well.  

23 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Why would someone knowingly expose their fellow young-family neighbors (some of whom are pregnant women) to norovirus? Just f**king why?! It's been absolutely rampant this winter, so you've got to be incredibly naive or simply uncaring about others' well-being if you choose to do so.

Ugh...

Norovirus is just nasty.  My wife and I both got it while she was pregnant. 

25 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Why would someone knowingly expose their fellow young-family neighbors (some of whom are pregnant women) to norovirus? Just f**king why?! It's been absolutely rampant this winter, so you've got to be incredibly naive or simply uncaring about others' well-being if you choose to do so.

Ugh...

19 minutes ago, H2O said:

Because some parents are too selfish to keep a sick kid home and take a day off work.  We've dealt with this as well.  Sick kid goes off to school and the parents know 100% their kid is sick but can't get a sitter or they think work is too important to miss.  So kid goes off, barfs everywhere and everyone gets it.

what waterboy said -- have had it happen many times at daycare (and I'm sure school too). I recall one time a mom brought her kid who within an hour or so was crapping his pants. When she was called by the daycare director, the mom said "well he had diarrhea and a fever last night but woke up fine". Almost every kid got it, and took it home to the parents. 

dummies. 

35 minutes ago, H2O said:

This happened over the weekend, so school wasn't in play, but I fully agree with what you're saying. This is a great family - really good friends - but I don't think the mom can hack keeping her son "locked up in the house" or even keeping herself locked in the house when her kids are sick. It's a frustratingly selfish act from what are incredible neighbors in every other aspect.

I can understand if your kid has the sniffles and you send him/her to school or daycare are bring them out to ride their bikes or scooters or climb trees with other kids. I really do. But stomach bugs are a completely different animal. You need to close up shop, let it run its course, then emerge a day or two after the nastiness is complete.

Now...no one else on the block has (yet) gotten sick after this. We had a stomach bug back in November (I think), and some of the other families have had it in the last month or so. But it doesn't make that decision any less annoying.

27 minutes ago, mappy said:

what waterboy said -- have had it happen many times at daycare (and I'm sure school too). I recall one time a mom brought her kid who within an hour or so was crapping his pants. When she was called by the daycare director, the mom said "well he had diarrhea and a fever last night but woke up fine". Almost every kid got it, and took it home to the parents. 

dummies. 

So stupid. And selfish. The sh*tty thing (no pun intended) is that norovirus is still contagious up to 48 hours after symptoms have subsided. A lot of folks probably don't know that, but Christ...if your kid is puking and has diarrhea, don't send him/her to school (or to a neighborhood birthday party) the next day!

1 hour ago, mattie g said:

So stupid. And selfish. The sh*tty thing (no pun intended) is that norovirus is still contagious up to 48 hours after symptoms have subsided. A lot of folks probably don't know that, but Christ...if your kid is puking and has diarrhea, don't send him/her to school (or to a neighborhood birthday party) the next day!

Oh I agree completely. I'm one of those parents who won't send K anywhere until she has been fever free for 24hrs. She has come home with croup (twice), the stomach bug (too many times) and hand foot mouth (twice) from daycare when parents have sent their kids back too soon, or willingly sent them knowing they were sick (even if not showing full symptoms of the actual illness). So so stupid. I get it, it sucks to have to miss work, cancel plans or whatever, but come on! 

29 minutes ago, mappy said:

Oh I agree completely. I'm one of those parents who won't send K anywhere until she has been fever free for 24hrs. She has come home with croup (twice), the stomach bug (too many times) and hand foot mouth (twice) from daycare when parents have sent their kids back too soon, or willingly sent them knowing they were sick (even if not showing full symptoms of the actual illness). So so stupid. I get it, it sucks to have to miss work, cancel plans or whatever, but come on! 

Speaking of hand foot and mouth, the same mom brought her 2.5-year-old daughter to play with the other kids on the block this fall when that was going around. She started talking to my wife and she said something along the lines of "I think [name] might have hand foot and mouth, but I don't know. She's got blisters on her hands and feet, and they're starting to show up in her mouth." My wife was like "Yes...that's hand foot and mouth" and turned around and took B inside. <smacks head>

• H2O unpinned this topic

Archived