Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February banter thread

Eskimo Joe

5 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

Yeah. I know. But I do love context. And if we are going to fail like this, well, I need context for the fail.

There is no trophy here. I kind of get the psychology behind it.  can't win so might as well screw up big. But there is no trophy. In the end all we have is a sucky year. Might as well get one fluke snow. At least we get a few days to track then enjoy the snow. The year still sucks but we got one nice experience. Total fail is only your brain trying to find a way to mitigate the frustration. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

There is no trophy here. I kind of get the psychology behind it.  can't win so might as well screw up big. But there is no trophy. In the end all we have is a sucky year. Might as well get one fluke snow. At least we get a few days to track then enjoy the snow. The year still sucks but we got one nice experience. Total fail is only your brain trying to find a way to mitigate the frustration. 

I don't believe I am rooting for a fail, simply looking to put this awful into context. If we zero out from here, it is indeed potentially a top 5 failure at the airports. Heck, even a little snow won't change that at BWI...

My looking at the fail years isn't to denigrate the work you and others do in examining the pattern looking for chances at snow, I hope you realize. If we can get a 1993 to come up the coast this time in mid-March to drop 35 inches on the area, I am there for that for sure...

11 minutes ago, 87storms said:

As if you and balti never post meaningless crap?  My post was a joke and I didn't even read isotherm's post prior to that.  Aside from psu, chill, deck pic, etc, I think everyone is pretty guilty of posting nonsense.  Case in point..."bob for president"...granted, he should be on this board bc he's one of the quality ones but just sayin'.  I've see you complain about posters over the years on multiple occasions, but yet you're just as guilty.  Some of you all need to stop acting so tightly wrapped.  It's a dam weather board.  If you're stressed out over what someone posts maybe it's time to take a break.

Your way out of line. There is a context to this you're not seeing. Yes we all make stupid posts from time to time and joke around. I've done it. But things were getting out of hand. It's one thing when 2/20 posts are silly. But the thread becomes annoying when it's 15/20. So she asked nicely that we bring it under control. There is a time and place. You seem to have not picked up on the message. This doesn't have to get personal or become a bigger deal. You didn't commit any atrocity or anything. It's no big deal. But defer to the wishes of the board staff telling us to tone it down and don't escalate a really minor thing into a fight. 

6 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

I don't believe I am rooting for a fail, simply looking to put this awful into context. If we zero out from here, it is indeed potentially a top 5 failure at the airports. Heck, even a little snow won't change that at BWI...

My looking at the fail years isn't to denigrate the work you and others do in examining the pattern looking for chances at snow, I hope you realize. If we can get a 1993 to come up the coast this time in mid-March to drop 35 inches on the area, I am there for that for sure...

Fair enough. I wasn't referring solely to you. Every year that starts bad we get some who say they are then rooting for the fail. Seems silly to me. But this whole obsession is silly so who am I to say. 

ETA: I didn't take anything you said as insulting. Plus I don't take this that seriously. It's supposed to be fun. 

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

Your way out of line. There is a context to this you're not seeing. Yes we all make stupid posts from time to time and joke around. I've done it. But things were getting out of hand. It's one thing when 2/20 posts are silly. But the thread becomes annoying when it's 15/20. So she asked nicely that we bring it under control. There is a time and place. You seem to have not picked up on the message. This doesn't have to get personal or become a bigger deal. You didn't commit any agregious atrocity or anything. It's no big deal. But defer to the wishes of the board staff telling us to tone it down and don't escalate a really minor thing into a fight. 

Honestly, I missed that part of what the mods said, but you know what, it should be up to the mods to delete posts and notify ppl, not the posters.  It's not cool when ppl get called out or when ppl (the same culprits) are trying to tear ppl down.  I was cracking a joke to lighten up the mood.  That's all.

4 minutes ago, 87storms said:

Honestly, I missed that part of what the mods said, but you know what, it should be up to the mods to delete posts and notify ppl, not the posters.  It's not cool when ppl get called out or when ppl (the same culprits) are trying to tear ppl down.  I was cracking a joke to lighten up the mood.  That's all.

People are frustrated and tensions are high. I get what you were doing but it was done at an unfortunate time right after we had talked about cutting that stuff out in the discussion thread.  I just don't think this needs to become a big deal. Life is too short. Go do something fun 

Just now, psuhoffman said:

People are frustrated and tensions are high. I get what you were doing but it was done at an unfortunate time right after we had talked about cutting that stuff out in the discussion thread.  I just don't think this needs to become a big deal. 

I definitely did not see that.  I check in periodically throughout the day so I miss a lot of what's going on.  It's not a big deal, I just don't like being called out, period.  I have never done that in the entire time I have been following this board.  It's not how I roll and that's probably why I get pissy when it happens, esp by the same ppl.  I'm willing to take criticism directly, just don't like the roundabout method.

I learned today it may be necessary for me to travel for work the week of Feb 20-24.  Hasn't been determined yet whether I will have to be in Edison, NJ or Atlanta.  I typically try not to leave the area during the winter, but this is a pretty big deal I may not be able to avoid.
Really hope we can score some snow in the next three weeks.  If not, and then our shot at a storm comes that week, and I am in f'n Georgia... :axe:

15 hours ago, 87storms said:

As if you and balti never post meaningless crap?  My post was a joke and I didn't even read isotherm's post prior to that.  Aside from psu, chill, deck pic, etc, I think everyone is pretty guilty of posting nonsense.  Case in point..."bob for president"...granted, he should be on this board bc he's one of the quality ones but just sayin'.  I've see you complain about posters over the years on multiple occasions, but yet you're just as guilty.  Some of you all need to stop acting so tightly wrapped.  It's a dam weather board.  If you're stressed out over what someone posts maybe it's time to take a break.

Oh sure, I post meaningless crap all the time, and guess what, my posts get removed just like the next donkey. 

14 hours ago, 87storms said:

And guess what else, I have mod powers and could remove plenty of posts. However, I don't. I drop hints to dial it back. But, by all means, if you wish for more moderation, I will take that into consideration. Consider yourself warned. 

Just now, mappy said:

Oh sure, I post meaningless crap all the time, and guess what, my posts get removed just like the next donkey. 

And guess what else, I have mod powers and could remove plenty of posts. However, I don't. I drop hints to dial it back. But, by all means, if you wish for more moderation, I will take that into consideration. Consider yourself warned. 

But will the snow stick?  That's the question.

15 hours ago, 87storms said:

i'll try to be nice.  A few of us have some limited mod powers and its been us that have periodically cleaned up a few posts here and there.  We mostly let things stay until people complain.  we don't have the green tags so thats why it sounds like we are being bossy.  well, its because we are the ones who are trying to help nudge people to stay on topic for the most part.

we could be a lot more strict and maybe we will be.

1 hour ago, H2O said:

we could be a lot more strict and maybe we will be.

In the past:

I've been strict:  "It's not fun around here! Mod powers out of control!"

I've been lax:  "So much banter in here!  I can't find any good info!  I'm wading through 20 posts about nothing!"

I haven't found a happy medium, but when the weather blows monkey balls like this year, it seems best to just let people vent and banter.  

26 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

In the past:

I've been strict:  "It's not fun around here! Mod powers out of control!"

I've been lax:  "So much banter in here!  I can't find any good info!  I'm wading through 20 posts about nothing!"

I haven't found a happy medium, but when the weather blows monkey balls like this year, it seems best to just let people vent and banter.  

Yeah you guys are in a tough spot sometimes.

I will say and don't know if anybody agrees, it matters who's posting.  Sometimes the smallest of things from the wrong poster crawl all over me.  Posted by someone else, I find it humorous and fun.  Hard to explain.

I'm ok with witty posts, sarcastic posts.  But I get worked up over crying, negative posts.

3 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Mods can delete every single long range post about snow that I've made this year. They were obviously complete banter, total lack of substance, horrible analysis, and borderline trolling. 

IMPEACH PRESIDENT BOB

3 hours ago, mappy said:

Threatening posters (for defending themselves) with your mod "powers" (on a weather board no less) isn't a very good look.  That's why I preferred people like Ian and Bob...need more of those types on here.

• H2O unpinned this topic

Archived