Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 31/Feb 1 Clipper

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, mahk_webstah said:

I missed that full conversation.  But I can guess where it went....a woman gives feedback about how men can't seem to understand that when they equate being feminine with being weak, it is actually insulting and perpetuates a stupid and useless stereotype about women...and about men.  And then the men get all prickly for being called out (gently probably) and blame the woman for calling them out........and all of this proves what I said in the last post about who is and isn't the stronger gender.  ;)

.Can't wait for the unisex snow tomorrow, no base all treble. 

7 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

I've been seeing references to big time clippers the past couple days...I'm not sure where they are coming from. Clippers rarely produce anything above advisory snowfall...if you get a nice little popper off NJ coast, then yeah, you can get a low end warning event. 1/21/11 was a good example of this and probably 2/18/14.

The bigger miller B storms are usually not Alberta clippers...maybe Manitoba Maulers (ala Jan 2005 and Feb '78) or the ol' panhandle hook storms that redevelop once they are in the OH Valley.

Yeah he said they'd drop a quick 6" or so, but he seems to remember them happening more frequently and redeveloping somewhat. Then again he's 76 so who knows what happened back in 1963 

5 hours ago, mahk_webstah said:

It is ironic isn't it, that we use "man" as an adjective to say that something is tough and strong.  Ironic because in so many ways women are the tougher gender.  I think we are using it in jest towards gender stereotypes though, aren't we? 

I wish there were more men like you, now more than ever

11 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah still a bit paltry on QPF, but better than 00z....the shortwave def looked pretty good to me. Has a little kink in it and travels near LI and ACK.

Round 2 looks pretty good along and N of pike especially. That has some sneak potential because of the lapse rates....

MAUL.

Showing up in our coastal forecast soundings.

9 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

WINDEX technique was developed originally based upon NGM (now defunct) FRH(FOUS) grid parameters:

T1 T
T5 T
R1: Relative Humidity 
Lifted Index: 

Using these numbers off the NAM(FRH/FOUS) ...may or may not provide the equivalent technique.  But using these values above ...You calculate the difference between the T1 and the T5; if it is over 10, and especially over 15, you then look at the lifted index.. if it rises significantly after the proposed event, and the RH at R1 is over 50%, you will have instability squalls.

And for those who forgot or are too young to know, T1 is the first model layer (1000-965) and T5 is the 5th model layer (820-785), R1 is boundary layer RH. 

A fair proxy would be surface to 850, but I know in AWIPS I can do a 975 to 800 mb subtraction to approximate the WINDEX and NORLUN studies. I mention both because they are both instability snow events (like LES too).

8 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

lol, doesnt a range always include the "potential up to". thats why its a range right?

8 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Agreed.  How can Most Likely be 4" AND 4-6"

Dumb.   Bring back the old maps

It's because we're hard coded into these ranges. If I forecast 3.5" of snow, it HAS to be placed into the 4-6" category. I can't make the software say 3-5."

A grip point away I can forecast 3.4" and that falls into the 3-4" range. Since people only see the high end of the ranges, people start to believe their neighbor is in line for 6" and a warning while they're stuck with 4" at most and an advisory. 

At least the single number maps show you a more realistic snapshot of what the forecast is in time. 4" is anywhere from 3.5" to 4.4" 

8 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

The range is a range...the lowest amount is basically your floor and the highest amount is your ceiling....you can make a caveat and say "isolated amounts up to X inches" if you want to convey a bit more potential....but I don't think anyone has typically forecasted that 3-6" means that 3" is your most likely amount. That means your distribution curve of snowfall is insanely skewed to the left (smaller)...which we know in reality doesn't really happen. Most systems over the long haul will bust high about as often as they bust low.

So this is the way Ryan or anyone creating their own graphics could do it, but the NWS is just hard coded into ranges. We can't alter them (so we can keep maps and forecast wording consistent from WFO to WFO, state to state, and region to region). 

So for everyone looking at our probability graphics they are designed completely differently from the "range" snowfall maps. The "at least this much" and "potential for this much" is based on the spread of the model blend from WPC. The greater the spread, the larger the difference between the min and max. Our "range" maps are literally just taking our point snowfall forecast (2.4", 7.3", 10.7", etc) and placing it in a predefined range bin. The "at least this much" and "potential for this much" takes the same point forecast and applies the spread. If the spread was higher than normal (say 10 inches) you're 7.3" forecast would give you "at least this much" rounded to 2" (7.3- (10/2)) and your "potential for this much" would give you 12" (7.3 + (10/2)). 

7 hours ago, mahk_webstah said:

only 2-3 forecasted up here.  Is GYX underdoing it or is it BoxGW?  I though it looked decent up this way compared to SNE?

Hey, it could be both too! But I do think the best chances for higher amounts will be closer to the coast and inverted trof. 

5 hours ago, dendrite said:

No clue. That's Chris' territory that I don't tread on. 

Last night's run unfortunately cut some of the snowfall off, and had none of the inverted trof. So tonight's run should wrap up around forecast issuance.

Archived