Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 31/Feb 1 Clipper

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

Yup.  They were real 'man-clippers' back in those days.

It is ironic isn't it, that we use "man" as an adjective to say that something is tough and strong.  Ironic because in so many ways women are the tougher gender.  I think we are using it in jest towards gender stereotypes though, aren't we? 

39 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

I'll take:

Tuesday Night
Snow likely...mainly in the evening. Total snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible. Not as cool. Near steady temperature in the lower 20s. East winds around 5 mph. Chance of snow 70 percent

only 2-3 forecasted up here.  Is GYX underdoing it or is it BoxGW?  I though it looked decent up this way compared to SNE?

40 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

I'll take:

Tuesday Night
Snow likely...mainly in the evening. Total snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible. Not as cool. Near steady temperature in the lower 20s. East winds around 5 mph. Chance of snow 70 percent

Lol, 4K NAM say no snow for you and me. 

34 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

IMG_4688.PNG

2 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

only 2-3 forecasted up here.  Is GYX underdoing it or is it BoxGW?  I though it looked decent up this way compared to SNE?

You kind of whiff on round 1 of the system. So your snow will occur with the second push of energy.

6 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

GFS looked pretty nice to me...though I suppose some of us look at different aspects of the models than others.

GFS has 2 solid snow events(if you weren't looking at qpf) tomorrow and again Sunday night/Monday..Looks as good as 12z did. Unless they were expecting a big storm

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

The range is a range...the lowest amount is basically your floor and the highest amount is your ceiling....you can make a caveat and say "isolated amounts up to X inches" if you want to convey a bit more potential....but I don't think anyone has typically forecasted that 3-6" means that 3" is your most likely amount. That means your distribution curve of snowfall is insanely skewed to the left (smaller)...which we know in reality doesn't really happen. Most systems over the long haul will bust high about as often as they bust low.

I never interpreted the Box maps they put out with ranges like that. I always thought they pick their ranges that they are going to show with different shading, and then if an area falls within that range it gets labeled with that range and that shading. So in this case, because they had widespread 4"s in EMA, that area fell within their 4-6 range and was labeled as such. But that doesn't mean they think the low is 4 and the high is 6. Per their probability maps, that is clearly not the case.

Just now, JC-CT said:

I never interpreted the Box maps they put out with ranges like that. I always thought they pick their ranges that they are going to show with different shading, and then if an area falls within that range it gets labeled with that range and that shading. So in this case, because they had widespread 4"s in EMA, that area fell within their 4-6 range and was labeled as such. But that doesn't mean they think the low is 4 and the high is 6. Per their probability maps, that is clearly not the case.

Yes you are correct in how the ranges appear on the BOX site...I was more responding to the idea that the lowest number is the most likely...that isn't the case...and also a more general point about ranges. But even in the BOX way of doing it, the lowest number does not usually mean the most likely. If they had a most likely amount of 5.7" in their grid, then it would still fall under the 4-6 amount.

In this specific case, yeah, the lower number of their range was close to their most likely amount.

2 minutes ago, JC-CT said:

Yup. 

IMG_1454.PNG

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Yes you are correct in how the ranges appear on the BOX site...I was more responding to the idea that the lowest number is the most likely...that isn't the case...and also a more general point about ranges. But even in the BOX way of doing it, the lowest number does not usually mean the most likely. If they had a most likely amount of 5.7" in their grid, then it would still fall under the 4-6 amount.

In this specific case, yeah, the lower number of their range was close to their most likely amount.

Yes, we agree. Box's range is just where their most likely falls within the ranges they have predetermined for shading.

9 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Plucked right from AFD

Read below...

Winter weather advisory has been issued as snow accumulations will
generally be 3 inches across the area and the impact to the
evening commute.

A majority of their region is in the 3-4" zone...not the 4-6"...the 4-6 zone is where they think the 4" amounts are more likely.

Regardless, whether you are arguing 3 or 4 inches, it's advisory snowfall.

1 hour ago, mahk_webstah said:

It is ironic isn't it, that we use "man" as an adjective to say that something is tough and strong.  Ironic because in so many ways women are the tougher gender.  I think we are using it in jest towards gender stereotypes though, aren't we? 

Where have you been the past couple weeks? lol

Archived