Jan 31/Feb 1 Clipper

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Will

700-500 lapse rate:        3.92 C/km

For SNSH/squalls, you want to look below that layer...the original WINDEX checklist looks at lower level instability...it was originally the T1 to T5 layers which went up to roughly 750-800mb. Now we are a little more advanced than using old FOUS output, but you still are interested in the lower level instability.

1 minute ago, ma blizzard said:

yeah the TTs aren't as impressive with the inversion around 600 mb .. but remember how TTs are calculated: TT = (T850 - T500) + (Td850 - T500) 

of course that inversion skews the TT values .. 

We're also not saturated very well...if we had near 100% RH in the lower levels, the TTs would be more impressive like in some of those steroid windex events ala 1/28/10. But TTs are really only the thunder aspect of windex squalls...you can have good windex events with TTs that aren't amazing. Of course, it's a lot more fun to have them off the charts, lol.

7 minutes ago, ma blizzard said:

yeah the TTs aren't as impressive with the inversion around 600 mb .. but remember how TTs are calculated: TT = (T850 - T500) + (Td850 - T500) 

of course that inversion skews the TT values .. 

12 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

For SNSH/squalls, you want to look below that layer...the original WINDEX checklist looks at lower level instability...it was originally the T1 to T5 layers which went up to roughly 750-800mb. Now we are a little more advanced than using old FOUS output, but you still are interested in the lower level instability.

Of course but lets get this correct and back up to Haydens assertion. Steep lapse rates and heavy Arctic squalls Wed afternoon in CT. I see no indications on any modeling to back up that assertion, and where is the Arctic boundary Wed afternoon you may ask your self

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

We're also not saturated very well...if we had near 100% RH in the lower levels, the TTs would be more impressive like in some of those steroid windex events ala 1/28/10. But TTs are really only the thunder aspect of windex squalls...you can have good windex events with TTs that aren't amazing. Of course, it's a lot more fun to have them off the charts, lol.

Yeah...I mean I've had whiteouts here under the radar beam with nothing showing up at all. Those SHSN don't really care too much about the H5 temp.

13 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Of course but lets get this correct and back up to Haydens assertion. Steep lapse rates and heavy Arctic squalls Wed afternoon in CT. I see no indications on any modeling to back up that assertion, and where is the Arctic boundary Wed afternoon you may ask your self

Heavy arctic squalls might be a stretch, I agree, but steep lapse rates are absolutely present...I just posted a sounding that has very steep lapse rates. I agree the arctic boundary isn't really very sharp and more like this diffuse thing over a swath north of us...I think that is a limiting factor because we aren't getting a big lifting mechanism. But some brief SNSH are certainly possible.

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Heavy arctic squalls might be a stretch, I agree, but steep lapse rates are absolutely present...I just posted a sounding that has very steep lapse rates. I agree the arctic boundary isn't really very sharp and more like this diffuse thing over a swath north of us...I think that is a limiting factor because we aren't getting a big lifting mechanism. But some brief SNSH are certainly possible.

Now that is reasonable but I doubt it with RH so low and BL temps in the 40's if they do occur they would be melting on contact ( we are talking about Ct). I see the NORH Dendrite land having a better shot, some of that is in his FA so maybe that is where he is referring to . IDK Thanks for the interaction , appreciate it, Potshot Scooter sucks

Archived