• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 31/Feb 1 Clipper

Damage In Tolland

WINDEX technique was developed originally based upon NGM (now defunct) FRH(FOUS) grid parameters:

T1 T
T5 T
R1: Relative Humidity 
Lifted Index: 

Using these numbers off the NAM(FRH/FOUS) ...may or may not provide the equivalent technique.  But using these values above ...You calculate the difference between the T1 and the T5; if it is over 10, and especially over 15, you then look at the lifted index.. if it rises significantly after the proposed event, and the RH at R1 is over 50%, you will have instability squalls.

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is my first snowfall map and likely only map for this storm.  I expect the storm to strengthen a little faster than currently modeled and we could see dynamics of the storm play a large role in the snowfall output so therefore thunderstorms could become a part of the precipitation form and we can get thunder snows.  Also the ocean is very warm still to our south east of NJ and south of the South Shore of New England and Long Island, NY, with a shortwave with a negatively tilted trough fireworks will become the norm with this storm and produce a good amount of snow for a while tomorrow afternoon through the evening.

New England Moderate Snowstorm map 1 valid 12pm 31st of January.gif

3 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

my 76 year old father always talks about Alberta Clippers from the past, says they were real storms back then.  Not like these poop clippers we get now. 

I've been seeing references to big time clippers the past couple days...I'm not sure where they are coming from. Clippers rarely produce anything above advisory snowfall...if you get a nice little popper off NJ coast, then yeah, you can get a low end warning event. 1/21/11 was a good example of this and probably 2/18/14.

The bigger miller B storms are usually not Alberta clippers...maybe Manitoba Maulers (ala Jan 2005 and Feb '78) or the ol' panhandle hook storms that redevelop once they are in the OH Valley.

Don't judge me until it passes, we can only wait until then Jerry.  The models are intensifying the surface low sooner and sooner, what has the trend been as of late with developing coastal storms?  The trend has been to intensify them as they hit the ocean waters, this will track no differently.  The Great Lakes are expecting 5" of snow, we could easily see 10" in this setup.

Just now, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

I don't know why the NWS didn't issue WWA for the Cape and Islands, our temps during the bulk of the heavier snows will be below freezing and the models don't go above freezing.

I guess you aren't looking at the models correctly then...because every single model has your area going above freezing.

Archived