Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Model Mayhem IV!

Typhoon Tip

16 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

OK, so Tip are you saying that you think this High to the north is going to hold longer and stronger to squeeze this low south/east??   

I'd be inclined to think so... but just to clarify, it doesn't mean 'forcing' the low necessarily SE either. 

Will mentioned 'triple point'... That's a Met term for where the occluded boundary connects with the cold and warm fronts... Any time a warm sectors fails to move along with the low pressure , a triple point forms (the warm sector is lifted above the wrap around air mass)....   That process would pinch off the warm sector from getting much north of (typically in those cold high bumper scenarios) of LI or the south coast. 

When a cold high is in place up there, that pretty much ko's the ability for warm air to scour out the interior because the low levels go into what is call ageostrophic wind and...well, it's complicating.  Bottom line (puns always intended..) that resistance assists in stopping the warm penetration.  

anyway it's really about preventing the north penetration of the warm front more so than forcing the the primary SE.   That's usually more having to do with confluent mid level flow up in Canada N of the Lakes. Lows will tend to lift aggressively N toward Michigan/western NY and so forth, then screech to a halt there because the mechanics aloft stop moving N at that point...  Get's into Miller B stuff there after. 

In this Euro run, there isn't enough confluence to stop the mid/u/a support for the low moving up N and taking the surface low with it.. BUT, there is enough lead side denser cold air to stop the warm sector/ force the triple point east. 

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

I'm hanging it up.

This winter had promise, but it wound up blowing chunks.  I'm done.

Not bad...you lasted longer than Jerry and Ray which I wouldn't have bet on...maybe Ray and you would have been a close call in preseason betting, but not Jerry.

3 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I will take Ray every year and win 85% of the time

Yeah but the lines will take that into account...MPM and Ray won't have big payouts because they are favorites, lol. Like if you bet on Jerry this year, that would have been a good value...his payout is def higher. He normally doesn't melt that early.

I prob would put Jerry at like 25 to 1 in preseason whereas MPM is like 2 to 1, lol.

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah but the lines will take that into account...MPM and Ray won't have big payouts because they are favorites, lol. Like if you bet on Jerry this year, that would have been a good value...his payout is def higher. He normally doesn't melt that early.

I prob would put Jerry at like 25 to 1 in preseason whereas MPM is like 2 to 1, lol.

yea Jerry would have been an easy choice though with his huge winter call, the ones that expect the most usually melt early.

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Eyewall would be taken of the board. 

Archived