Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    16,929
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    8283 El Nino Baby
    Newest Member
    8283 El Nino Baby
    Joined

February 2017 Discussion & Observations


dmillz25
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, pazzo83 said:

So 3 of the last 4 winters have hit 70+.  I guess this is the new normal?

Mild Denver in March style winters have become the new norm the last few years. Definitely a spring in the Rockies flavor to our recent winter climate

with warmth and snow coexisting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Record High Temperature          Forecast High
-----------------------------    -------------
Central Park........75 (1985)    70
LaGuardia...........73 (1985)    71
Kennedy.............60 (1984)    61 (record broken)
Islip...............59 (2000)    63 (record broken)
Newark..............73 (1985)    74 (record tied)
Bridgeport..........60 (2016)    61 (record broken)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, psv88 said:
Record High Temperature          Forecast High
-----------------------------    -------------
Central Park........75 (1985)    70
LaGuardia...........73 (1985)    71
Kennedy.............60 (1984)    61 (record broken)
Islip...............59 (2000)    63 (record broken)
Newark..............73 (1985)    74 (record tied)
Bridgeport..........60 (2016)    61 (record broken)

BDR up to 64.    Longstanding record broken there! LOL.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, bluewave said:

The one that prevented the low to mid 70's here like they are getting further west.

It's more of a southerly flow than a sea breeze, if it was a sea breeze the temps would be in the 50's across the island, they are in the mid to high 60's. Once the southerly winds are over the warm ground for 3-4 miles, the air warms right back up. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, psv88 said:

It's more of a southerly flow than a sea breeze, if it was a sea breeze the temps would be in the 50's across the island, they are in the mid to high 60's. Once the southerly winds are over the warm ground for 3-4 miles, the air warms right back up. 

Same difference. The winds are coming off an ocean that is only about 45 degrees south of Long Island. But the effect is more pronounced near the South Shore as usual where it's only 50.

 

Jones Beach      N/A     50 N/A N/A S13G18      N/A
Matinecock PT    N/A     68 N/A N/A SW12G18     N/A
Farmingdale    SUNNY     61  53  75 S18       29.90F
MacArthur/ISP  MOSUNNY   62  52  69 S16G25    29.90F
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Same difference. The winds are coming off an ocean that is only about 45 degrees south of Long Island. But the effect is more pronounced near the South Shore as usual where it's only 50.

 

Jones Beach      N/A     50 N/A N/A S13G18      N/A
Matinecock PT    N/A     68 N/A N/A SW12G18     N/A
Farmingdale    SUNNY     61  53  75 S18       29.90F
MacArthur/ISP  MOSUNNY   62  52  69 S16G25    29.90F

Eh, not quite...sea breeze is caused when daytime heating causes low pressure over land and comparative high pressure over the ocean, resulting in onshore winds. So you have the heavier and denser maritime air sliding under the warmer air (inversion). Southerly flow is a bit different. 

Remember, we have had south winds all day. If this was a sea breeze, with a south wind the whole island would be in the 50s. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Eh, not quite...sea breeze is caused when daytime heating causes low pressure over land and comparative high pressure over the ocean, resulting in onshore winds. So you have the heavier and denser maritime air sliding under the warmer air (inversion). Southerly flow is a bit different. 

Remember, we have had south winds all day. If this was a sea breeze, with a south wind the whole island would be in the 50s. 

What do you think happened today? The whole island didn't t stay in the 50's today since the influence of the sea breeze is stronger closer to the ocean. Having south winds all day doesn't preclude a sea breeze. Notice how the winds increased today as the land began to heat and many highs were reached closer to noon before the cooling influence of the ocean kicked in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Eh, not quite...sea breeze is caused when daytime heating causes low pressure over land and comparative high pressure over the ocean, resulting in onshore winds. So you have the heavier and denser maritime air sliding under the warmer air (inversion). Southerly flow is a bit different. 

Remember, we have had south winds all day. If this was a sea breeze, with a south wind the whole island would be in the 50s. 

This is a ridiculous argument. Your using IMBY. It never cracked 60 at my house in wantagh today. We warmed close to the rest of the island during the morning hours only to level off in the high 50s around noon and then fall. All the time with increasing onshore wind. Pretty much text book sea breeze pattern 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...