Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Gnarly Nor'easter 1/24 to 1/25/17 our favorite week

Ginx snewx

15 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I'd feel a lot better about a little snow bomb if we were just 1C colder than guidance has right now. This feels like a lot of sleet with occasional pounding aggregates when it gets really heavy...but never truly ripping pure snow very long and struggling to keep the lift strong enough.

We may still end up colder...guidance could easily be trying to advect the warm tongue in too aggressively given the high placement...I mean, we still have a closed anti-cyclone in the mid-levels north of Maine this evening, so we'll see how it goes. But it would be a much easier call if everything was printing out about 1C colder in the profile.

Will quick quesion

Do those Skew data profiles do a good job of incorporating upslope cooling. I think that's significant question for E slope of Berks/ and Esp ORH hills

could imagine KFIT airport at 35 and sleet while 600' higher on west end of town has a 8" of paste. I recall that happening before in 2009-2010 with higher amounts (I think the storm right before the warm retro bomb)

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Once again, BOX forgets its CWA also borders VT.

Given the uncertainty, have blended the forecast guidance for now.
Have gone with 2 to 4 inches of snow/sleet across interior northern
MA.  If we trend colder certainly may see 6+ inches of snow near the
NH border
, a milder solution may result in an inch or two of mainly
sleet

13 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Will quick quesion

Do those Skew data profiles do a good job of incorporating upslope cooling. I think that's significant question for E slope of Berks/ and Esp ORH hills

could imagine KFIT airport at 35 and sleet while 600' higher on west end of town has a 8" of paste. I recall that happening before in 2009-2010 with higher amounts (I think the storm right before the warm retro bomb)

On the GFS, they wouldn't show it well since the resolution isn't very high. RGEM was showing this at times though and so has the 4km NAM.

Since the GGEM was the first to sniff this out, I'm going with it LOL.  The model differences for ENY are pretty crazy with such short lead time.  So many things that could go right and so many that could go wrong.  (NAM + (GGEM + RGEM)/2)/2 = GFS.  I guess at this point a nice blend is the way to go.  37F / 29F here with steady temp and dewpoint.  Waiting for the cold.  BTW, NAM gives me .75" and GGEM gives me 2".  And the storm arrives in 7 hours or so.........:wacko:

I don't see anything obvious to make me think the mid-levels are going to be significantly colder than guidance so far. I'd prob take the under on the low levels though given the dewpoints funneling down the Maine coast.

I'd be favoring a sleet bomb right now over interior MA....but we'll see how all the nowcast stuff trends. Definitely not an easy forecast.

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I don't see anything obvious to make me think the mid-levels are going to be significantly colder than guidance so far. I'd prob take the under on the low levels though given the dewpoints funneling down the Maine coast.

I'd be favoring a sleet bomb right now over interior MA....but we'll see how all the nowcast stuff trends. Definitely not an easy forecast.

Sleet to zr south?

Seems like an incredibly dicey forecast all over the place.  I have a sleet fest on the NAM, decent snow on the GFS, almost all rain on the SREF. 

GYX

THERE ARE STILL A LOT OF VARIABLES THAT NEED
WATCHING..LEADING TO SIGNIFICANT UNCERTAINTY IN THE FORECAST FOR
PRECIPITATION TYPE.

14 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I agree. I feel like in these type of events it always looks so close to an isothermal paste bomb but unless there is constant --omega it ends up a sleet/parachute mess and that just doesn't happen often. 

I'd go 1-4'' with sleet NW of 495 and esp N of Route 2 if I was making a forecast. I wouldn't be shocked to wake up to 7'' of man snow but I wouldn't count on it. 

Just now, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

ha, I sense nervousness that if you can't scrape some sleet and zr out of this, winter is beginning to flow down your flooded hills. 

Not at all ..Ryan has 1-2" of Sleet 84 N and W..Some of the meso stuff has some good ice accretion and Tippy was favoring ice as well...CAD is strong with this one..we'll see

6 minutes ago, HimoorWx said:

Would be a fun night for a hike to the top!  Dropped 2 degrees in the last 2 hours on 22 mph east winds.

The biggest gradient i have ever seen over 300' was Dec 92 when i drove to go sled at Diamond Hill RI, literally 20 inches of absolute cement at 400'   , few inches at 100' couple miles away

Think this is mostly a disappointment outside of highly elevated areas, and N. Mass and VT and NH/ME  

Ofcourse if the cold wins out it's a different story, but if not alot of us could be real close to the magic number, but just be raining like many times in events like these.  It was snowing on my way into work this morning(that was a bit surprising), but not anything since.  Expectations on this are low, so any surprises in a positive way will be appreciated..but thinking mostly a cold cold rain.  

6 minutes ago, DomNH said:

True and it's probably just noise anyway. I'll feel pretty good if we're snowing at 0z. 

That's a very good benchmark...if you see a lot of snow obs between 00z-03z, then it means guidance with the warmer 750-800mb warm tongue (like the NAM) is probably busting. Might need to wait closer to 03z to see because we may still have very shallow/crappy lift at 00z.

27 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Not at all ..Ryan has 1-2" of Sleet 84 N and W..Some of the meso stuff has some good ice accretion and Tippy was favoring ice as well...CAD is strong with this one..we'll see

Yea, Im going with them on it so I wouldnt sweat every micro detail. Just funny when Will or Scott put their thoughts out including zones, you will follow with the "how much for philly" post. I know though, we can be the forgotten state at times unless its a CT special. 

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

That's a very good benchmark...if you see a lot of snow obs between 00z-03z, then it means guidance with the warmer 750-800mb warm tongue (like the NAM) is probably busting. Might need to wait closer to 03z to see because we may still have very shallow/crappy lift at 00z.

Yeah the NAM is like +1C at 750mb at 3z (MHT) so if we're pounding aggregates at that point we are probably in decent shape. If it's sleet under good lift by then turn out the lights. 

Archived