joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Gnarly Nor'easter 1/24 to 1/25/17 our favorite week

Ginx snewx

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm still leaning toward a scalping for most of interior MA and probably S NH S of MHT. But it's admittedly very close. I think so much is going to depend on how well organized the lift is when it rolls through the region tonight. If it's a nice large organized slab of deep layer lift, then we'll probably be able to flip a lot of folks to pounding aggregates for several hours...but if it's a bit choppy/banded with the best being limited to right near the coast/CF, then I think it will be very difficult to sustain snow.

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

I'm still leaning toward a scalping for most of interior MA and probably S NH S of MHT. But it's admittedly very close. I think so much is going to depend on how well organized the lift is when it rolls through the region tonight. If it's a nice large organized slab of deep layer lift, then we'll probably be able to flip a lot of folks to pounding aggregates for several hours...but if it's a bit choppy/banded witht he best being limited to right near the coast/CF, then I think it will be very difficult to sustain snow.

I agree definitely leaning toward more sleet. Its close enough that I could see it going eitherway, but I'm expecting a scalping

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I'm still leaning toward a scalping for most of interior MA and probably S NH S of MHT. But it's admittedly very close. I think so much is going to depend on how well organized the lift is when it rolls through the region tonight. If it's a nice large organized slab of deep layer lift, then we'll probably be able to flip a lot of folks to pounding aggregates for several hours...but if it's a bit choppy/banded with the best being limited to right near the coast/CF, then I think it will be very difficult to sustain snow.

Yeah. We never seem to get into the constant sustained deep lift in the Merrimack Valley and I don't see tonight as being an exception. If the radar is even a little bit shredded it's a pelletfest.

6 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

It's so frustrating to only get 850 and 700 mb data from the ECMWF. A lot is going on between those layers.

But it does look like WeatherBell gets 25 mb increments. Still most of the warmth looks like it's after 12z.

heck uva ice storm painted SNH up through interior foothills by the Euro

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

heck uva ice storm painted SNH up through interior foothills by the Euro

Looks more like a scalping to me than ZR up there. Maybe some ZR later in the storm but the heaviest stuff looks like it has too deep of a cold layer for big icing.

6 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Looks more like a scalping to me than ZR up there. Maybe some ZR later in the storm but the heaviest stuff looks like it has too deep of a cold layer for big icing.

Seems like too thin and weak of a warm layer to me for alot of ZR to me. Nam is the most aggressive with it and still looks like sleet to me. Euro is pretty cold tomorrow so theyll likely be some lighter glazing. Maybe a small area can optimize things and get a bit more further south

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Don't know what Maue uses for his FRZRN algo and cross sections are not out but there seems to be a warmer thick 750-800 layer.

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

Don't know what Maue uses for his FRZRN algo and cross sections are not out but there seems to be a warmer thick 750-800 layer.

Yeah I'd toss the precip algorithms...if we're looking at several thousand feet of well below freezing air, it's gonna be a peltfest. You typically want a warm layer of at least 3-4C during the heavy precip, and even that might not be enough if the cold layer is very deep...you'd want it more like 7C or 8C. Don't think I've ever seen big icing around New England when you have 850 temps around 0C.

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah I'd toss the precip algorithms...if we're looking at several thousand feet of well below freezing air, it's gonna be a peltfest. You typically want a warm layer of at least 3-4C during the heavy precip, and even that might not be enough if the cold layer is very deep...you'd want it more like 7C or 8C. Don't think I've ever seen big icing around New England when you have 850 temps around 0C.

sleet fest then, Euro is colder at the surface in CNE but warmer south

4 minutes ago, wx2fish said:

Seems like too thin and weak of a warm layer to me for alot of ZR to me. Nam is the most aggressive with it and still looks like sleet to me. Euro is pretty cold tomorrow so theyll likely be some lighter glazing. Maybe a small area can optimize things and get a bit more further south

Yeah I agree..see my above response to ginxy....but you basically say the same thing here.

I think we'll need to see the models be way too cold in the 850-950 region in order to get big icing....but I'm not really seeing why that would happen. If anything I'd expect models to probably undersell the cold below 850mb...maybe if they under estimate the warm tongue at 750-800 by several degrees there could be a bit more icing. Still don't think it would be big enough though for legit ice storm warning type criteria.

14 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

That's the way I'm leaning too. The real deep warm air doesn't arrive until pretty late tomorrow, even on the NAM.

Though the ski resorts might get a good glaze being father aloft to begin with. 

Poking around the GFS omega forecast at different stations and it is spotty. Weak lift in some areas and sniffing ozone in others. I don't think it can resolve exactly where the best lift sets up but that tells me it's likely to be a banding heavy, shredded rad type of storm. I'm getting less optimistic the more I look. 

2 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

That's the way I'm leaning too. The real deep warm air doesn't arrive until pretty late tomorrow, even on the NAM.

Though the ski resorts might get a good glaze being father aloft to begin with. 

you see the 80 Knots wind in the GOM on the Euro near the islands? yikes

Just now, DomNH said:

Poking around the GFS omega forecast at different stations and it is spotty. Weak lift in some areas and sniffing ozone in others. I don't think it can resolve exactly where the best lift sets up but that tells me it's likely to be a banding heavy, shredded rad type of storm. I'm getting less optimistic the more I look. 

92 lite qpf distribution

Archived