• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 23rd-24th Storm Threat

Rjay

had a nice icestorm here this morning.. 0.25 (atleast) all over.    Temps were suppose to go above freezing around 8pm last night...but didn't until 10am this morning.

same flow , but slightly colder Sunday Night and Monday....it'll be icy again for sure here.  

temps always bust with that flow...been like this for years here.

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, NJwx85 said:

Excited for an epic soaker. Been a long time. Setup reminds me of March 2010. For those that don't remember that one, it dropped 4-6" of rain locally and produced damaging winds once the center passed. 

Mmhm ... both that storm and this upcoming one seem to have closed lows moving up the coast with high pressure around the New England area. I haven't looked in-depth or anything at the two storms and how they compare ... that's just something I noticed.

Just now, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

GFS is a soaker to the candian border 

we get it dude. u should be the hurricane tracker. it shows rain but its still ways out and its the GFS. Its time to admit that there's little chance we get a snowstorm out of this one but its fun to track it.

edit: could this turn out to be a rain to snow event for at least Ulster 84 and west? 

5 minutes ago, WeatherFeen2000 said:

we get it dude. u should be the hurricane tracker. it shows rain but its still ways out and its the GFS. Its time to admit that there's little chance we get a snowstorm out of this one but its fun to track it.

edit: could this turn out to be a rain to snow event for at least Ulster 84 and west? 

I'm not buying the GGEM solution nowhere near excited for this as a snowstorm 

15 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

GGEM, slowly but surely finding its way home, 1 run at a time

2ynsdfl.jpg

First of all I think that snow map goes south. Cause it's going to get colder after Friday I think we get a stronger block and that high near Nova Scotia will scoot southwest earlier because it'll be stronger than forecasted. I didn't check but has the high been trending stronger? Secondly if the new and better pattern is coming in this results in the storm coming more south east. Strong dynamics could really bring snow in lesser chance for it snow it because of its dynamic cooling. Not to mention if the storm rolls in at night which always helps. I don't want to be the bullseye 5 days out. 

Edit: (I've been 5 posted)...And third thing if the good pattern is breaking down usually the low placement on these models starts trending a northwesterly direction which happened about ten days ago when we got a decent hit. Our good pattern was breaking down and it went north. The bad pattern until this Friday is going to break down into something decent therefore my conclusion is that the colder air will be more south on the future runs, check the euro tonight

5 minutes ago, WeatherFeen2000 said:

First of all I think that snow map goes south. Cause it's going to get colder after Friday I think we get a stronger block and that high near Nova Scotia will scoot southwest earlier because it'll be stronger than forecasted. I didn't check but has the high been trending stronger? Secondly if the new and better pattern is coming in this results in the storm coming more south east. Strong dynamics could really bring snow in lesser chance for it snow it because of its dynamic cooling. Not to mention if the storm rolls in at night which always helps. I don't want to be the bullseye 5 days out. 

The GGEM has been trending towards other guidance... slowly, yesterday afternoon GGEM gave NYC a foot of snow, then the line moved north, and north again, now again tonight lol, how can u possible take it serious with the euro and gfs locked on a similar solution... for someone who always talked about things trending you seem to be ignoring the GGEM trend 

and to answer your question: No the high has not trended stronger, weaker actually 

14 hours ago, NJwx85 said:

Excited for an epic soaker. Been a long time. Setup reminds me of March 2010. For those that don't remember that one, it dropped 4-6" of rain locally and produced damaging winds once the center passed. 

I've been thinking the same thing. That storm felt a lot like a strong tropical storm around here. It'll be interesting to see if we get the same hurricane force wind gusts along the coast.

58 minutes ago, nyblizz44 said:

Likely so but that is one strange analog and doesnt match up with with virtual complete lack of cold air available. Nothing wrong a strong wet noreaster!

That's one of the CIPS analogs. The product seems to give too much weight to snowier analogs in marginal or worse patterns. The mix, for the most part, isn't bad. The weights seem to imply a greater probability of appreciable or significant snow events than is likely in marginal or worse patterns.

Analogs #2, #8, and #9 provide great examples of why I believe the weighting scheme isn't great in such patterns. The synoptic pattern, which can now be forecast with a reasonable degree of accuracy (with fairly good agreement among the GEFS and EPS) is extremely hostile to such outcomes, especially #2. Even if small details, which remain more uncertain than the big picture idea, are tweaked, the pattern would still remain hostile to the outcomes shown in #2, #8, and #9. Considering the forecast pattern, even with tweaks in details, #2 should probably be the least likely outcome. #8 and #9 should probably be among the bottom five.

Often, when patterns are marginal or worse, it seems that the weighting of the CIPS analogs is inconsistent with the pattern. For better patterns, the weighting appears to be less of an issue. In sum, one is likely dealing with a bias of the product and that should be taken into consideration when using it. 

FWIW, the statistical probabilities I came up with for a PNA+/AO+/EPO- setup similar to what is forecast were as follows for NYC:

No snow: 37%
< 1”: 71%
1” or more: 29%
2” or more: 8%
4” or more: <0.1%

Archived