Newest Member
    joxey
January 23rd-24th Storm Threat

Rjay

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

The models do not take elevation into account well. There will be snow at high enough elevations. I'm talking the top of the pocono plateau  Catskills peaks and souinches thern greens. Above 2k. Think of this like a very early or very late season event based on the encendent airmass. This is not a snow event for anyone in our area and the entire state of New Jersey. You need to be high enough up to have temps cold enough to overcome the warmth. Really this is a peaks storm. Over 3k your talking feet. The peaks of the Catskills saw feet (I believe 5) during March 2010

Extreme NW Sussex County, NJ, (i.e. High Point State Park) may see some flakes, but other than that, this is purely an all rain event

2 minutes ago, Snow88 said:
12z Euro has wind gusts near 70 for the metro area. The winds will be the main concern. Every model has it gusting to or even over 60 mph near the coast.

We'll have to see how well the winds mix down. In heavier showers, there could be 60-70mph gusts near the coast I would think given the winds right off the deck. Would definitely be enough for some power outages. 

10 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

We'll have to see how well the winds mix down. In heavier showers, there could be 60-70mph gusts near the coast I would think given the winds right off the deck. Would definitely be enough for some power outages. 

Hoping that the GGEM and NAM have the better idea with the stronger convection and more organized heavier bands making it up this way.

29 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

60-70 mph gusts seems to be the consensus between the models for spots along the coast. The Euro is hinting that the strongest winds will occur during the day Monday.

So the greatest tidal surge will probably come on the late afternoon into evening high tide. I guess we are fortunate that will be the lower of the 2 daily high tides.

Looks like the South Shore will need 3-4 foot of surge on that tide cycle to reach moderate levels. So we'll have to monitor the exact direction and surge forecasts

to figure out the peak high tide.

ecmwf_uv10g_nyc_15.png

serveimage.gif.40bb2501150943ddaf7a7173dfde1141.gif

29 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

we saw our heaviest winds with Sandy in the dry slot...I don't necessarily think you need the heavy rain to mix down these winds.  The soundings have decent instability for Jan.

5 minutes ago, bluewave said:

60-70 mph gusts seems to be the consensus between the models for spots along the coast. The Euro is hinting that the strongest winds will occur during the day Monday.

So the greatest tidal surge will probably come on the late afternoon into evening high tide. I guess we are fortunate that will be the lower of the 2 daily high tides.

Looks like the South Shore will need 3-4 foot of surge on that tide cycle to reach moderate levels. So we'll have to monitor the exact direction and surge forecasts

to figure out the peak high tide.

ecmwf_uv10g_nyc_15.png

serveimage.gif.40bb2501150943ddaf7a7173dfde1141.gif

the 6am Tuesday high tide can still produce moderate flooding especially if the winds don't allow the low tide to drain back out.

21 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Especially for back bay and Sound locations.

when low tide was as high as high tide during Sandy's afternoon, I knew we were in trouble at the evening high tide....when we had that period of strong SE winds the bays along the south shore literally seiched north, for example Jamaica Bay into southern Brooklyn and Queens.

Storm watched issued

ANZ330-335-338-340-345-350-353-355-211100-
/O.NEW.KOKX.SR.A.0001.170123T0600Z-170124T0600Z/
LONG ISLAND SOUND EAST OF NEW HAVEN CT/PORT JEFFERSON NY-
LONG ISLAND SOUND WEST OF NEW HAVEN CT/PORT JEFFERSON NY-
NEW YORK HARBOR-PECONIC AND GARDINERS BAYS-
SOUTH SHORE BAYS FROM JONES INLET THROUGH SHINNECOCK BAY-
MORICHES INLET NY TO MONTAUK POINT NY OUT 20 NM-
FIRE ISLAND INLET NY TO MORICHES INLET NY OUT 20 NM-
SANDY HOOK NJ TO FIRE ISLAND INLET NY OUT 20 NM-
308 PM EST FRI JAN 20 2017

...STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM LATE SUNDAY NIGHT THROUGH LATE
MONDAY NIGHT...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN UPTON HAS ISSUED A STORM WATCH...
WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM LATE SUNDAY NIGHT THROUGH LATE MONDAY
NIGHT.

* WINDS AND SEAS...NORTHEAST WINDS 40 TO 45 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 60
  KT ON OCEAN...35 TO 40 KT WITH GUSTS TO 50 KT ON THE NEARSHORE
  WATERS. SEAS 16 TO 21 FEET ON THE OCEAN...AND 5 TO 10 FT ON
  LONG ISLAND SOUND.

ANZ450-451-211100-
/O.NEW.KPHI.SR.A.0001.170123T0600Z-170123T2300Z/
COASTAL WATERS FROM SANDY HOOK TO MANASQUAN INLET NJ OUT 20 NM-
COASTAL WATERS FROM MANASQUAN INLET TO LITTLE EGG INLET NJ OUT
20 NM-
335 PM EST FRI JAN 20 2017

...STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM LATE SUNDAY NIGHT THROUGH MONDAY
AFTERNOON...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MOUNT HOLLY HAS ISSUED A STORM
WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM LATE SUNDAY NIGHT THROUGH MONDAY
AFTERNOON.

* LOCATION...THE COASTAL OCEAN WATERS OF NORTHERN AND CENTRAL NEW
  JERSEY.

* WINDS...EAST 30 TO 40 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 60 KT.

* SEAS...11 TO 16 FEET.

13 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Thank you sir, may I have another :P 

If only the surface low wasn't weakening by the time it makes it up here. Could have been one of the best all time.

namconus_apcpn_neus_28.png

namconus_mslp_wind_neus_48.png

namconus_mslp_wind_neus_49.png

namconus_mslp_wind_neus_50.png

Still its nothing to shake a stick at, alot of wind and rain. If the storm doesn't weaken like the models show then we should really watch out.

18 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

I wasn't scientific reasoning, not pretty blue colors on a model run.

Pretty sure you're smart enough to look yourself and understand, I also didn't make the 18z Nam myself so relax with questioning me on why it shows what, why the dynamics of the storm itself creating upper level cooling, and damming down into the Hudson valley is a Good question while other guidance suggests otherwise is a mystery to me, dynamic cooling? 

The first picture I posted is a perfect example of CAD signature at 850, not "pretty blue color"

My my best guess is that the para Nam has a slightly stronger system, and the high is in a bit of a better place, interaction of the strengthening  system/better high placement, upward motion and CAD are causing it to see snowfall south of other guidance 

59 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Where is the cold air coming from? I see an injection of colder air into Northern NE but that's about it.

Snippet from Upton..

Based on strong dynamics and consensus storm track over or just se
of LI...potential for thermal profiles to diabatically cool to near
freezing and result in a period of rain/sleet/snow mix well N&W of
NYC Late Sun Night into Mon night...with even a period of heavy wet
snow across NW hills. A light snow/sleet accumulation is possible
across interior portions of NE NJ...Lower Hud...and Southern
Ct...with potential for an advisory level wet snow for the NW hills.

Archived