Newest Member
    joxey
January 23rd-24th Storm Threat

Rjay

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Rjay said:

Storm force winds are certainly possible.  I would even say likely at this point.  

Thanks, I'm pretty excited for this even if it's rain, the winds alone will make it worthy of tracking.  On the point and click they have 40 knots sustained for our area from the East, which means storm force gusts are a possibility.

24 minutes ago, Rjay said:

Storm force winds are certainly possible.  I would even say likely at this point.  

Maybe the ocean?

An intensifying storm moving up the coast early next week will
likely bring easterly gales to all waters from Sunday night into
Monday night...with storm force wind gusts may be possible on the
ocean and eastern most Long Island Sound. If these winds come to
fruition...15 to 20 ft waves possible over the ocean waters...with
4 to 8 ft on LI sound.

9 minutes ago, Dan76 said:

Maybe the ocean?

An intensifying storm moving up the coast early next week will
likely bring easterly gales to all waters from Sunday night into
Monday night...with storm force wind gusts may be possible on the
ocean and eastern most Long Island Sound. If these winds come to
fruition...15 to 20 ft waves possible over the ocean waters...with
4 to 8 ft on LI sound.

Yep.  Storm force winds are likely for the ocean imo.  Some of the storm force gusts could impact the Jersey shore and Long Island. I fully expect high wind and coastal flood watches to be posted.

6 minutes ago, Rjay said:

Yep.  Storm force winds are likely for the ocean imo.  Some of the storm force gusts could impact the Jersey shore and Long Island. I fully expect high wind and coastal flood watches to be posted.

Don't count on coastal flood warnings. As blue wave posted yesterday astronomical tides are low. Even March 2010 just barely met coastal flood warning thresholds with much stronger winds. 

30 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Don't count on coastal flood warnings. As blue wave posted yesterday astronomical tides are low. Even March 2010 just barely met coastal flood warning thresholds with much stronger winds. 

Upton

A strong coastal storm may cause minor to locally moderate coastal
flooding if its highest surge coincides with the early morning high
tide cycles either Mon or Tue, which is the higher of the two daily
high tide cycles. Stevens ensemble guidance is showing potential for
surge building to 3 to 4 ft on Monday.

Surge needed to cause minor coastal flooding is about 1.5-2.5 ft on
the Long Island South Shore back bays, and 2.5-3.0 ft elsewhere.

Surge needed to cause moderate coastal flooding is about 2.5-3.0 ft
on the Long Island South Shore back bays, and 3-4 ft elsewhere.

The other concern will be for significant beach erosion from long
period easterly swells of 10-15+ ft Mon into Tue. Localized washover
cant be ruled out if higher surge values are realized

2 minutes ago, Rjay said:

Upton

A strong coastal storm may cause minor to locally moderate coastal
flooding if its highest surge coincides with the early morning high
tide cycles either Mon or Tue, which is the higher of the two daily
high tide cycles. Stevens ensemble guidance is showing potential for
surge building to 3 to 4 ft on Monday.

Surge needed to cause minor coastal flooding is about 1.5-2.5 ft on
the Long Island South Shore back bays, and 2.5-3.0 ft elsewhere.

Surge needed to cause moderate coastal flooding is about 2.5-3.0 ft
on the Long Island South Shore back bays, and 3-4 ft elsewhere.

The other concern will be for significant beach erosion from long
period easterly swells of 10-15+ ft Mon into Tue. Localized washover
cant be ruled out if higher surge values are realized

Minor to local moderate is a coastal flood advisory. Wide spread moderate is a coastal flood warning. Had this bad boy hit at the full moon and we were adding 2 feet right off the bat this would be a serious flood threat. As it stands now just water on the street in the usual locations. We haven't had a real deal coastal flood event from a nor'easter since December 92 and a non tropical event since March 1993. Like I said before even March 2010 due to astronomical tides and duration of strong winds just didn't cut it

6 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Minor to local moderate is a coastal flood advisory. Wide spread moderate is a coastal flood warning. Had this bad boy hit at the full moon and we were adding 2 feet right off the bat this would be a serious flood threat. As it stands now just water on the street in the usual locations. We haven't had a real deal coastal flood event from a nor'easter since December 92 and a non tropical event since March 1993. Like I said before even March 2010 due to astronomical tides and duration of strong winds just didn't cut it

I'm expecting wide spread moderate coastal flooding and in some cases severe especially on the north shore.

That was Upton's preliminary take on the surge.

9 minutes ago, Rjay said:

I'm expecting wide spread moderate coastal flooding and in some cases severe especially on the north shore.

That was Upton's preliminary take on the surge.

They tend to be conservative with winds and surge this far out and ramp up as we get closer. Definitely going to need full out storm fource winds for anything severe. Definitely possible. Should be our first real nor'easter in a couple years. Epic blue bomb for the poconos Catskills berks and greens. Looks like I'm going to have to do 2 weekends in a row in Vermont!!!

2 hours ago, bluewave said:

The storm coming at the time of the month near the low astronomical tides just means that they astronomical tide will be 1.5 feet less than last week with the full moon.

We can still get significant coastal flooding especially if the peak surge coincides with the highest of the two daily tides on the morning cycle. It's very hard to guess what

the exact tide levels will be this far out due to timing, intensity, and track. Our biggest events like 1992 came with a 5 foot surge 2 days after the highest

astronomical tides of the month. So the tide levels were maximized. 3-4 foot surges coinciding with the highest tides of the day would get the South Shore to

moderate levels. Even on the evening high tide which is lower, the back bays could still see moderate flooding. Some of the surge models have higher

tides on the LI Sound like Rjay mentioned. 

Moderate flooding for South Shore starts at around  the 7.5 tide level. The best case scenario would be the peak surge on low tide or the evening lower

high tide cycle. Higher flooding outcomes with come with either morning high tide. So near a 3 foot surge would reach moderate in the morning

and 4 foot for moderate in the evening.

serveimage.gif

Full moon tides last week 1.5 foot higher

OLD.gif

I think places like Kings Point and Bayville can sneak in a "major" flood event while most other areas see "moderate" flooding.  We'll see.   I may be too bullish.    

44 minutes ago, Rjay said:

I think places like Kings Point and Bayville can sneak in a "major" flood event while most other areas see "moderate" flooding.  We'll see.   I may be too bullish.    

While it's still a long way out for the surge model to be more specific, you are correct that the Western LI Sound may see the highest surges. It will just come down

to the timing of the highest surge with the point in the daily high and low tide cycle.

http://www.opc.ncep.noaa.gov/Loops/ocean_guidance.php?model=ESTOFS&area=NE&plot=srg&loop=1#contents

It would be much worse for the South Shore if there would be strong SE wind during the time of high tide. If the models shift to more of a NE wind, it will be much worse for the typical nor'easter spots on the north shore. The south shore problem areas like Freeport will likely flood regardless with a strong fetch for so long. 

Archived