joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 23rd-24th Storm Threat

Rjay

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's amazing how consistent the models have been for days showing a max of 2-3" of rain bullseyed over our immediate region. Other than an occasional drier run mixed in, the concencus remains unchanged. We now have a flood watch here for up to 4" of rain. I cannot remember ever seeing so much consistency since Irene. 18Z GFS continues this theme.

5 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

The big difference between this and March 2010 is we have had Sandy since to cleanup any weak trees. It's going to be intense and there will be outages but no where near that level

Sandy was over 4 years ago already and the recent prolonged drought probably weakened a lot of trees. 

23 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

It's amazing how consistent the models have been for days showing a max of 2-3" of rain bullseyed over our immediate region. Other than an occasional drier run mixed in, the concencus remains unchanged. We now have a flood watch here for up to 4" of rain. I cannot remember ever seeing so much consistency since Irene. 18Z GFS continues this theme.

Storms of this origin always overperform and in winter we've always seen this. Wouldn't shock me if some areas near the coast pick up 5 or 6 inches of rain.

Wind potential concerns me even away from the coast.  Still a lot of trees in places that survived Sandy or Irene.

23 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

NE NJ, the city and SE NY, including my area (Rockland) look good for up to 4 inches of rain over 24 hours. Even though it's been very dry and no snowmelt to deal with, that is going to cause some good flooding and almost certainly uproot trees

Just now, NJwx85 said:

Sandy was over 4 years ago already and the recent prolonged drought probably weakened a lot of trees. 

Between March 2010, Irene, Sandy and the reaction after Sandy there are hardly any trees left on a good portion of the south shore of the island where the worst winds should be. There are areas of complete blowdown in the preserve near my house. So i doubt there is much tree damage 

15 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Between March 2010, Irene, Sandy and the reaction after Sandy there are hardly any trees left on a good portion of the south shore of the island where the worst winds should be. There are areas of complete blowdown in the preserve near my house. So i doubt there is much tree damage 

Up here in rural Northern NJ we have tons of trees that are over a hundred years old, including tall Oaks and Maples. We've more or less been in a drought since last Winter and I'm sure that has damaged or weakened some of them. During March 10' and Sandy we had extreme winds here.

23 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

My concern is that in advance of the squall line that has consistently been shown on the NAM and GFS and during its onset, one could see the strongest winds. That's when the greatest risk of numerous trees being blown down will exist. Hopefully, that will be just after the evening rush hour and not during it.

Hi Guys, 

I don't post often and if this doesn't belong on the thread no hurt feelings mods if you delete it.  I've been following the tornadoes down in FL associated with our mess tomorrow.  I don't recall seeing such a pronounced tornado signature in central FL ever.. 

This storm is a an incredibly dynamic and dangerous situation.  

Screen Shot 2017-01-22 at 7.13.08 PM.png

13 minutes ago, Phillycane said:

Hi Guys, 

I don't post often and if this doesn't belong on the thread no hurt feelings mods if you delete it.  I've been following the tornadoes down in FL associated with our mess tomorrow.  I don't recall seeing such a pronounced tornado signature in central FL ever.. 

This storm is a an incredibly dynamic and dangerous situation.  

Screen Shot 2017-01-22 at 7.13.08 PM.png

Yeah when the JAX office used language like this earlier this afternoon... you know they weren't messing around.

"A Particularly Dangerous Situation Tornado Watch is now in effect until 8 p.m. edt for most of north Florida and all of southeast Georgia.  The severe weather event we are about to go through has the potential to be one of the most severe weather outbreaks since the 1993 Super Storm and possibly like the big tornado outbreak near the University of Alabama a few years ago.

To emphasize how rare this is we have never had a Particularly Dangerous Situation Tornado Watch issued for our area before. You need to take this situation extremely seriously, like you would a potential hurricane."

3 hours ago, sferic said:

Is this a type of storm that NYC's emergency management team should be keeping an eye on? Especially with the strong, strong winds.

NYC EM is well aware of the impending storm. They have been sending numerous updates via email throughout the day and in their notify ny system email

http://www1.nyc.gov/site/em/about/press-releases/20170122_pr_nycem-advises-new-yorkers-to-prepare-for-coastal-storm.page

The typical spots, Freeport and Lindenhurst are expected to get major coastal flooding with the second high tide tomorrow.

...NASSAU COUNTY SOUTH SHORE BAY WATER LEVELS FOR MONDAY EVENING...

COASTAL............TIME OF......FORECAST TOTAL.......FLOOD.....
LOCATION...........HIGH TIDE.....WATER LEVEL.........CATEGORY..
...................................(MLLW/NGVD).................

FREEPORT GAUGE NY....514 PM.....6.3-6.7/5.5-5.9......MOD-MAJ...
POINT LOOKOUT NY.....417 PM.....6.7-7.2/5.6-6.1......MODERATE..
E ROCKAWAY NY........430 PM.....7.0-7.5/5.5-6.0......MODERATE..

...SUFFOLK COUNTY SOUTH SHORE BAY WATER LEVELS FOR MONDAY EVENING...

...................................(MLLW/MHHW).................

LINDENHURST NY.......657 PM.....4.2-4.7/2.6-3.2......MOD-MAJ

3 minutes ago, Rjay said:

The typical spots, Freeport and Lindenhurst are expected to get major coastal flooding with the second high tide tomorrow.

...NASSAU COUNTY SOUTH SHORE BAY WATER LEVELS FOR MONDAY EVENING...

...................................(MLLW/NGVD).................

FREEPORT GAUGE NY....514 PM.....6.3-6.7/5.5-5.9......MOD-MAJ...
POINT LOOKOUT NY.....417 PM.....6.7-7.2/5.6-6.1......MODERATE..
E ROCKAWAY NY........430 PM.....7.0-7.5/5.5-6.0......MODERATE..

...SUFFOLK COUNTY SOUTH SHORE BAY WATER LEVELS FOR MONDAY EVENING...

...................................(MLLW/MHHW).................

LINDENHURST NY.......657 PM.....4.2-4.7/2.6-3.2......MOD-MAJ

On Friday told my co worker to expect 4 foot water rise in Freeport. Looks like I may have been too bearish.

13 minutes ago, dmillz25 said:

Man if only it was 10 degrees colder. This would rival last years storm 

12 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Haven't looked at layers just surface but it looked warmer up here to me...

By beast I meant rain and wind. Don't care much about sleet or a few flakes.

Archived