Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 23rd-24th Storm Threat

Rjay

28 minutes ago, snywx said:

Just checked the NAM sounding for MGJ.. Warm layer is above 825mb during the height and @ hr 48 the warm layer is extremely shallow ( between 750-775) w/ temps just above 0c in this layer. This is a winter weather event up here plain and simple

btw- surface temps are 32-33 during this same period.

Yup the new GFS soundings for SWF and POU looked colder. Seems like an isothermal sounding between 700mb and 900mb. 950mb temps are close to 1C though so the surface may be slightly above.

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, mikemost said:

Agreed... Out of my area of knowledge here - But looking at some of the soundings, there is definitely stability below 850mb. That being said, the trowel signature seems to be pronounced, and the intensity of the precipitation could mix down some of those 850mb winds, but to what extent? So I'd also love to hear a meteorologist perspective on how they think what happens at the surface. 

The colder surface means to me that less of the really strong wind mixes down, but maybe this could be another situation where winds on the coast are much stronger than not far inland. 

1 hour ago, Rjay said:

I would love if Forky could talk a little about the wind potential.  Any inversions to prevent some of the stronger winds from mixing down?  If so, can we mix down some of the winds below 900 mb?

He's a very selective but i'm sure he will post .

39 minutes ago, BxWeatherwatcher said:

well atleast we know that it has indeed trended a bit colder,only thing is that funky movement due north once it hits the coast on the gfs. but the trend is starting to show.

Should be a wide variety with precip for the city and coast; light, moderate and heavy rain

13 minutes ago, Animal said:

Morning afd from mt holly nws = they are now concerned for the interior for a wintry event. Snow is now being discussed.

Binghamton is now going with 3-4 inches of snow and locally higher amounts possible for my area in the Catskills. 

Im Expecting Albany to issue WWA atleast this afternoon for up here.

snippet from Albany AFD

Ageostrophic wind component will become
northerly and aide in pushing low level cold air southward into our
area tonight. Precip types will largely depend on precip rates and likely snow during times of
moderate to heavy precip rates.

3 minutes ago, bluewave said:

I believe this is the first January high risk day during the 2000's so far.

day1otlk-overview.gif

It's a relatively dynamic setup.  Some of the airports today in Florida may have to close due to crosswinds today because there are extremely strong due south winds ahead of the front.  It's almost unheard of to see significant crosswinds in CNTRL to SRN FL airports outside of tropical systems.  

2 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

It's a relatively dynamic setup.  Some of the airports today in Florida may have to close due to crosswinds today because there are extremely strong due south winds ahead of the front.  It's almost unheard of to see significant crosswinds in CNTRL to SRN FL airports outside of tropical systems.  

The SST warmth for January is off the charts to go along with those dynamics.

gulf_oisst_anom_20170120.png

5 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

Nam continues to be the coldest model.Not backing down.

With those soundings north of rockland would actually see very little rain.. and mostly sleet/fzr, especially hi res nam

edit: just checked ptype and it's about .25-.40 rain 

north of 84 stays almost entirely frozen on Nam till tail end 

15 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

2dh76tc.jpgNam holds to its guns with an absolutely wicked winter sleet/snow storm and pounding coastal event...

gonna get some great sat images tomorrow 

Trying to get a handle on this thing for an appointment I'm about to cancel tomorrow in Syosett. How much support does the NAM have, if any, from the other short trem models, especially this mornings runs?

Just now, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

Trying to get a handle on this thing for an appointment I'm about to cancel tomorrow in Syosett. How much support does the NAM have, if any, from the other short trem models, especially this mornings runs?

Well the only other model that's a meso worth looking at is RGEM, which looks similar to Nam 

Archived