• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 23rd-24th Storm Threat

Rjay

It appears that perhaps the most dangerous part of the storm will likely occur from 1/24 0z to 1/24 9z as both the 1/23 0z NAM and 1/22 18z GFS are in strong agreement about the development and passage of an intense area of precipitation between 1/24 3z and 1/24 8z (moving through NYC between (1/24 5z and 8z). The strongest winds will likely occur ahead of and during the passage of this area of heavy precipitation. 

Below are relevant sections of maps from Tropical Tidbits.com:

0123-242017noreaster.jpg

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, dmillz25 said:

Happy that you getting your storm of choice. This storm will be a doozy

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather be looking at 2 feet of snow incoming, but with all the severe weather going on down South, this storm has such an ominous feeling that it feels more like a tropical storm incoming.

11 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

It appears that perhaps the most dangerous part of the storm will likely occur from 1/24 0z to 1/24 9z as both the 1/23 0z NAM and 1/22 18z GFS are in strong agreement about the development and passage of an intense area of precipitation between 1/24 3z and 1/24 8z (moving through NYC between (1/24 5z and 8z). The strongest winds will likely occur ahead of and during the passage of this area of heavy precipitation. 

Below are relevant sections of maps from Tropical Tidbits.com:

0123-242017noreaster.jpg

High tides around here are at around 5:30PM. I really hope it's not at its worst around then. 

I remember out ahead of the October 1996 nor'easter we had winds really ramp up quickly the night before the storm. That event would be my anolog as far as coastal effects like wind and surge. The difference with that storm is that it occurred with trees still in leaf and resulted in the most tree damage of any event during the 90s-2000s. December 92 had stronger winds and higher surge but occurred after trees had lost their leaves which limited tree damage which is what I expect tomorrow if the winds peak in the 60s for gusts. This is going to be a solid nor'easter but the low astronomical tides and culled trees without leaves should limit damage overall. I highly recommend getting down to the beach tomorrow afternoon if you can!!

4 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

High tides around here are at around 5:30PM. I really hope it's not at its worst around then. 

I agree. The 4 km NAM is quicker in its timing, so there remains a possibility that the worst could be earlier than what the 0z NAM (12 km) and 18z GFS are showing. The morning guidance, HRRR, and radar will be invaluable.

For those who are interested, there's an excellent case study on the March 2010 nor'easter that can be found here:

http://cms.met.psu.edu/sref/severe/2010/13Mar2010.pdf

This storm probably won't be quite as severe (particularly in terms of total precipitation), but it will take place with strong blocking in the Hudson/James Bay region just as had been the case with the March 2010 nor'easter. The 500 mb maps are below:

March2010Noreaster500mb.jpg

2 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Nam total Qpf didn't change much, amount of Frozen for NW decreases due to torched 700-850 layers

Really depends upon location and what version, the high res nam definitely cut back for N&W.  That was all i was interested in, it may have cut back other areas as well.

Archived