Newest Member
    joxey
January 23rd-24th Storm Threat

Rjay

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

The HRRR is not very useful for surface wind forecasts.

I've noticed that as well.  The experimental one is very good with wind directions.  I've seen it catch timing of sea breeze but the speeds for gusts are way off.  It generally assumes once the sun is down the gusts end. 

Just now, SnowGoose69 said:

I've noticed that as well.  The experimental one is very good with wind directions.  I've seen it catch timing of sea breeze but the speeds for gusts are way off.  It generally assumes once the sun is down the gusts end. 

I've also noticed it assumes that every land mass is a mountain range. 

3 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

i race sailboats, so i look at the hrrr wind forecasts quite a lot - i notice that it is frequently initialized with directions completely different than what is observed

1 minute ago, donsutherland1 said:

Bacon Strips is in Tobyhanna, PA. Unfortunately, the locations don't show up on phones.

Yeah that's odd.  I also have noticed the mobile version sometimes loves getting stuck on a specific post on a page whenever you refresh it until the postings advance to another page.  Normally that will only happen if the post was yours but I see it do it often when it isn't.  Even closing the window and reopening won't work.  It will continue focusing on going to that post and location on the page.

The worst part of the storm looks to be tonight into tomorrow morning. Nam para came in colder for many areas. I wouldnt be shocked to see sleet instead of rain during the height of the storm for the NYC metro area . Nam Para shows that. Interesting storm coming up.

Many places are colder than forecasted right now.

The distribution of 850 temps around this occluding storm is going to be chaotic and there will be a range pf precipitation types, but one interesting parameter is that 925mb temps are forecasted to be comfortably below freezing for most of the storm, including at the coast.  What this means is that Catskills above about 2500 feet would expect to be 100% frozen and it wouldn't be surprising to see some sleet mixed at some point along the coast, even possibly a few wet splats on your windshield if you happen to be driving during the heaviest precip.  Inland will be interesting for wintry precip.

Light snow reported at KOXC, 41 miles from here as the crow flies.  Doesn't matter much at the coast, but that's pretty close by for a cold column.  It's still dry here and 39 degrees.

Reminds me a little of December 1992.

4 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Surprised the GFS isn't being discussed.... temp profiles similar to RGEM

I posted in wrong thread -

this colder and drier pattern is a bit troublesome in terms of QPF.   GFS could be onto something.

It only puts out 0.50 to 0.75 total QPF in SNJ now..  and radar trends would tend to agree.

when you have a colder than expected scenario....it usually means drier than expected as well.  especially with a Low that isn't all that intense...barely into the 980's.  

so yea...the GFS is the only fly in the ointment now. 

The 1/23/2017 12z ECMWF QPF Output for Select Cities:

Allentown    0.79       
Bangor    1.46       
Boston    1.80       
Burlington    1.34       
Caribou    1.57       
Concord    1.22       
Danbury    1.49       
Groton    1.11       
Harrisburg    0.92       
Hartford    1.27       
Hyannis    2.28