Total Members
    Most Online
    LanaM
    Newest Member
    LanaM
Wow

Jan 6-8 Winter Storm Observations

3 minutes ago, nchighcountrywx said:

Nasty warm nose needs to get worked out !

Hopefully rates will do it, but will they?

7aIeLeM.png

well i can give an odd ground report - i am literally under that warm bubble.  radar is showing it falling as rain, but right now (and it could change to rain but jeesh i hope not) it is sleeting at a pretty good clip.  it looks like some are melted snowflakes (they are not round) - and its getting crunchy on my deck. 

i always get nervous when models show that blob there ugh

2 minutes ago, NEGa said:

well i can give an odd ground report - i am literally under that warm bubble.  radar is showing it falling as rain, but right now (and it could change to rain but jeesh i hope not) it is sleeting at a pretty good clip.  it looks like some are melted snowflakes (they are not round) - and its getting crunchy on my deck. 

Awesome ground truth! Rates will overcome.. :)

2 minutes ago, NEGa said:

so  I feel dumb. I used to have the page book marked... where can I find the mesoscale analysis on the NWS site?

Returns blossoming in central Piedmont of NC with good amount of truth on ground.  RDU at 42/25 - pressure had been trending up this morning from 1012 to 1018, but now appears to be starting to fall 

5 minutes ago, strongwxnc said:

Awesome ground truth! Rates will overcome.. :)

18z Rap shows 925 dropping to 0 about 6 hours from init.

34/27 where I am, so the temp has fallen a bit. I've calmed down, but I can't help but fear that it'll stay between 32 and 34 degrees for the next several hours... :unsure:  Had some light rain about 20 minutes ago, but it has stopped.

18Z HRRR is a raging sleet storm for Atlanta and even the northern burbs. Snow for a couple of hours at the end.

North of here/ Mountains get hammered :arrowhead:

3 minutes ago, jrips27 said:

18Z HRRR is a raging sleet storm for Atlanta and even the northern burbs. Snow for a couple of hours at the end.

North of here/ Mountains get hammered :arrowhead:

It's definitely quite frustrating being in the thin line between rain and snow..