Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 6-8 Winter Storm Observations

Wow

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, goldman75 said:

After being consistently shown at least 1-3 inches on almost every model all week long, Myrtle beach busted hard.  Absolutely nothing.  

While some models did show that, it was certainly not consistent.  ILM and all local media were very consistent in forecasting rain with back end flurries for MYR.  

38 minutes ago, hrtsdsn said:

I would like to say thank you to those who most often post on this site.  i've been a lurker/member here for a few years now. i'm east of Charlotte and didn't get the big snow, but i did get the amount of precip, just got the warm nose again. 

i love this site.  i appreciate all that you do here and love seeing the data.  we are trying to predict mother nature and there are always curve balls.  and heck, we live in the South  i always hope for a big snow, am usually disappointed but sometimes we get lucky.  i still love getting excited by just the possibility.  when it was snowing here this morning i put a nice chair in the window and watched it fall.  my puppies got to experience winter weather for the first time and loved that too!   

hope we have another opportunity again this year...

again thank you all!!!

Trish

• Nice post!  I concur...love to have the snow but love the chase :)  our golden-doodle is enjoying the snow here in Graham
  •  
  •  
  • Edit
  •  
  • Options  

1 hour ago, palmettoweather said:

Neat map.

I will add the caveat that in the Western Upstate, it did not follow 85. I'm 7 miles north of 85 and got 1 inch of sleet/snow. Related to the Lookout, USRV thermal screw zone.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

I'm still of the conspiracy that the Duke Power Nuclear Plant creates that thermal screw zone for the far NW upstate.

10 minutes ago, Queencitywx said:

Which is funny because the snow up here is so dry. One of the driest big snows I can remember.

Agreed.  We have been unable to make snowmen, to make snowballs, or to get any epic sledding runs due to the very powdery nature of the snow.  But, I'm not going to complain about that when I know others would take any type of snow that they could get.

I feel bad for you guys to the south and east.  Lots of disappointed kids over those ways, I would imagine.

11 minutes ago, calculus1 said:

Agreed.  We have been unable to make snowmen, to make snowballs, or to get any epic sledding runs due to the very powdery nature of the snow.  But, I'm not going to complain about that when I know others would take any type of snow that they could get.

I feel bad for you guys to the south and east.  Lots of disappointed kids over those ways, I would imagine.

Same here all powder 

38 minutes ago, PortsmouthWeather said:

Getting a heavy snow burst in Portsmouth. Beautiful large flakes at 26 and about 8 " on the ground

Same over in Greenbriar Chesapeake.   After an uneventful night.  The daytime dropped about 6 inches.  Probably 8 inches now under still heavy band. 

Well, after being able to get in on some lasting snow showers for a while this morning, my total's brought up to about 4".  Would've been doubled that were it not for the ever persistent sleet that ended up coming back in the middle of the night before the change back to all snow by about 5 or 6am.  Better than what I feared would end up happening so there is that, I suppose.  Sitting at 31°.  33° looks to be my high for the day here.

1 hour ago, Hugo said:

While some models did show that, it was certainly not consistent.  ILM and all local media were very consistent in forecasting rain with back end flurries for MYR.  

Watched all week, was very consistent between almost all models.  Mets were too scared to touch it though for fear of being wrong.  They would have been right though.  Bust city.

• jburns unpinned this topic

Archived