joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2017 Discussion & Observations

dmillz25

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry to inform, but the CFS still has no more than 10BN days in the next 30.     The output for Jan. 7,8 in N.A. and that for Jan. 23,24 are mirror images of each other.   I mean former is bonnie blue, and the latter bloody red throughout the continent.    A January Thaw w/o the cold first for us.   Pacific NW etc. will be appreciative I'm sure.   Hope this turns out to be a lot of crap.

I put this in Jan. thread since the 30 days is of course just about all of the month now.     In addition, not one weekly had any BN average 500mb geopotential heights  in the any of the periods shown.    It offers only meager hope for a cold start to Feb.

Personally I no longer think the second half of Jan. will be near normal.    It will be a blowout one way or the other due to competing teleconnections and stratospheric unknowns. I now go 60% BLOWOUT HOT and 40% for BLOWOUT COLD.  HOT  because the last 22 months are that way and a pattern persists till a stronger one comes along.  SE Ridge is like a bug that won't die.

Sorry to inform, but the CFS still has no more than 10BN days in the next 30.     The output for Jan. 7,8 in N.A. and that for Jan. 23,24 are mirror images of each other.   I mean former is bonnie blue, and the latter bloody red throughout the continent.    A January Thaw w/o the cold first for us.   Pacific NW etc. will be appreciative I'm sure.   Hope this turns out to be a lot of crap.

I put this in Jan. thread since the 30 days is of course just about all of the month now.     In addition, not one weekly had any BN average 500mb geopotential heights  in the any of the periods shown.    It offers only meager hope for a cold start to Feb.

Personally I no longer think the second half of Jan. will be near normal.    It will be a blowout one way or the other due to competing teleconnections and stratospheric unknowns. I now go 60% BLOWOUT HOT and 40% for BLOWOUT COLD.  HOT  because the last 22 months are that way and a pattern persists till a stronger one comes along.  SE Ridge is like a bug that won't die.

Right, wrong, or indifferent, this model you are referencing is essentially on it's own. EPS, GEFS, GEPS, weeklies all argue for a -AO/-NAO setting up shop for a while in the LR.

10 minutes ago, psv88 said:

2/13/14 is the big kahuna for snow rates. Massive band came north with huge aggregates the size of softballs. Picked up 6" in one hour. 

Just dug up some video of that beast from my cloud, not sure how to post it. I really miss that winter...63 inches of snow I believe...13-14 and 14-15 were both incredible years. Almost all events were all snow as well. Just epic.

50 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Just dug up some video of that beast from my cloud, not sure how to post it. I really miss that winter...63 inches of snow I believe...13-14 and 14-15 were both incredible years. Almost all events were all snow as well. Just epic.

I had 58" in Bay Ridge in 13-14...all three main events (1/3, 1/24, 2/14) were around a foot in southern Brooklyn. Had 8" on 2/2 too.

55 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

EPS

besides the few days of warmth next week, after Wed, there's no AN temps through its entire run into mid Jan

SE Ridge makes a return after the 10th on the 12z. We need those heights to build across the pole like Feb 14 to keep the cold pattern going longer.

The idea is to get enough of a block across the pole to roll the -PNA trough on it's side like Feb 2014.

whO6cdAcDI.png

eps_z500a_nh_41.png

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

SE Ridge makes a return after the 10th on the 12z. We need those heights to build across the pole like Feb 14 to keep the cold pattern going longer.

The idea is to get enough of a block across the pole to roll the -PNA trough on it's side like Feb 2014.

whO6cdAcDI.png

eps_z500a_nh_41.png

Agree. Going to be difficult to force a protracted -NAM with these background conditions, for now at least:

t67biu.png

Not as explosive as other guidance but GFS still has storm wave on friday.

large difference between GFS/ euro+ggem, is that the southern piece of energy is able to get ahead of the trough and which pulls the second wave northeast into our storm, we need the first wave to trend weaker and allow the second piece of energy to slide out in front 

26 minutes ago, Isotherm said:

Agree. Going to be difficult to force a protracted -NAM with these background conditions, for now at least:

It seems like the long range ensembles have been forecasting too much blocking over the AO and NAO regions since late November. So once the -EPO ridge

faded or retrograded into the WPO region, the SE ridge came back. We need to flip the -PNA positive or get the ridge to build  over the top 

to hold the cold in place for more than 5-10 days at a time.

24 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Not as explosive as other guidance but GFS still has storm wave on friday.

large difference between GFS/ euro+ggem, is that the southern piece of energy is able to get ahead of the trough and which pulls the second wave northeast into our storm, we need the first wave to trend weaker and allow the second piece of energy to slide out in front 

12z Para looks good though in terms of waiting on the second wave. We know the ops are going to waver, good signal across the board for now at the synoptic scale.

gfsp_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_32.png

gfsp_z500a_us_33.png

2 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

18z gfs stronger with the first wave and with a ill positioned high it leads to problems along the coast. Just another possibility 

IMG_0011.GIF

Yep. Microanalyzing each model run right now this far out is essentially useless, the pattern supports the possibility of a storm...thats all we can hope for.

Archived