Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2017 Discussion & Observations

dmillz25

2 hours ago, bluewave said:

Notice how the 0z EPS is already backing off on the strength of the Greenland block and the -PNA forces the SE ridge to return after January 10th.

Models have been forecasting too much blocking over the North Atlantic longer range since late November. As we get closer the models

correct to weaker blocking there.

New run

eps_z500a_nh_39.png

old run

eps_z500a_nh_41.png

I noticed that as well. It coincides with the background conditions. As I said in my post last night, we really need an alteration in the stratospheric regime for a true, protracted -NAO. There's more potential for that in February if we can achieve sufficiently potent wave driving this month. But it will still be difficult with the hostile westerly shear stress.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Earlier in this thread, Bluewave noted the importance of a PNA+ for January snowstorms. Now that I'm back from Canada, I took a look at the numbers.

NYC's 4" or greater January snowstorms (1950-2016):

PNA-: 29% (-0.500 or below: 12%); PNA+: 71% (+0.500 or above: 44%)

NYC's 6" or greater January snowstorms: (1950-2016):

PNA-: 17% (-0.500 or below: 6%); PNA+: 83% (+0.500 or above: 39%)

There were 41 4" or greater snowstorms and 18 6" or greater snowstorms in January (1950-2016).

The biggest PNA- snowstorm occurred when the AO was -3.806. That storm brought 9.1".

All said, while a lighter snowfall (up to a few inches) might be possible over the next 7-10 days, the synoptic pattern argues against a moderate (4" or greater) and especially significant (6" or greater) snowfall for the NYC Metro Area.

2 hours ago, SnowGoose69 said:

That appears to be driven mainly by another cutting system.  Even with a -NAO I think that 3-5 day period torches.  It just would torch slightly less.

Thats all that is and I posted you will split the period in 2 / 4 days ago in here .

The NAO is neg for 15 days on both ensembles and you will see the trough back in the east .

Look at the 168 500 mb EPS then look at its original 360 from Dec 23.

I posted it away ....

You will see why you just buy orange height lines and think the pattern just abruptly ends.

25 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

Earlier in this thread, Bluewave noted the importance of a PNA+ for January snowstorms. Now that I'm back from Canada, I took a look at the numbers.

There were 41 4" or greater snowstorms and 18 6" or greater snowstorms in January (1950-2016).

The biggest PNA- snowstorm occurred when the AO was -3.806. That storm brought 9.1".

All said, while a lighter snowfall (up to a few inches) might be possible over the next 7-10 days, the synoptic pattern argues against a moderate (4" or greater) and especially significant (6" or greater) snowfall for the NYC Metro Area.

This is great analysis, thank you.

Do you have a way you perform this type of analysis quickly, or is it all just manual? 

6 minutes ago, mimillman said:

This is great analysis, thank you.

Do you have a way you perform this type of analysis quickly, or is it all just manual? 

I use a list of NYC's 4" and larger snowstorms to run the data against the teleconnections that I export into Excel from NCEP's ascii file. One can find those values by clicking on any of the teleconnection indices (http://www.cpc.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/daily_ao_index/teleconnections.shtml) and then selecting the daily values from January 1950. NWS lists New York City's 6" or greater snowstorms can be found here: http://www.weather.gov/media/okx/Climate/CentralPark/sixplussnow.pdf

15 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

I use a list of NYC's 4" and larger snowstorms to run the data against the teleconnections that I export into Excel from NCEP's ascii file. One can find those values by clicking on any of the teleconnection indices (http://www.cpc.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/daily_ao_index/teleconnections.shtml) and then selecting the daily values from January 1950. NWS lists New York City's 6" or greater snowstorms can be found here: http://www.weather.gov/media/okx/Climate/CentralPark/sixplussnow.pdf

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!

2 hours ago, donsutherland1 said:

Don, great work compiling all those stats. It will be interesting to see if the EPS weeklies are correct about a shift to a more +PNA regime near or after January 20th.

I believe the main issue the models are having is in regards to difficulty reconciling timing. There is also uncertainty as to how much energy will be available with the shortwaves, as well as possible PV enhancement. This is fairly typical this far out. Especially when you're dealing with the sparse data collection area of western Canada. That's why we're seeing drastic differences in each run, ensembles included. Same story as most of you know... Key thing to take from it is that the pieces to the puzzle keep showing up run to run, they're just put together a different way each time at this juncture.

6 minutes ago, mikemost said:

I believe the main issue the models are having is in regards to difficulty reconciling timing. There is also uncertainty as to how much energy will be available with the shortwaves, as well as possible PV enhancement. This is fairly typical this far out. Especially when you're dealing with the sparse data collection area of western Canada. That's why we're seeing drastic differences in each run, ensembles included. Same story as most of you know... Key thing to take from it is that the pieces to the puzzle keep showing up run to run, they're just put together a different way each time at this juncture.

Good post..we have seen all of this with previous storms. Honestly, I would rather be where we are at this stage and have the storm come back in our favor as we get closer rather then the storm fall apart which has been the theme this year.

Watch wave 1 first .By  132 / 138 the best VVs come right through the area and  into - 12 air.

Dont look at precip grids as the end all be all . Upward motion will show you where the best max is coming through .

Take 1 at time 

Happy New Year.

Wanted to touch on a few things . As I suspected the 6Z GEFS mutes the SE ridge on day 11 12 13 .

The WPO AO NAO are still neg out to the 13th and those features are the reason theres not ridge just ballooning up the EC

The Euro maintains its error pattern by just jumping the trough in the west.

The corrections are too numerous to post

I am still a fan of wave 1 and have ignored the GFS operational for now

The Euro/Canadian see it .

The difference at 500 over the last 2 days have been impressive

Last nights Euro  VVs all the way into E Canada , so I think that has more room to come W.

Wave 2 is too far to look at .

4 minutes ago, PB GFI said:

Happy New Year.

Wanted to touch on a few things . As I suspected the 6Z GEFS mutes the SE ridge on day 11 12 13 .

The WPO AO NAO are still neg out to the 13th and those features are the reason theres not ridge just ballooning up the EC

The Euro maintains its error pattern by just jumping the trough in the west.

The corrections are too numerous to post

I am still a fan of wave 1 and have ignored the GFS operational for now

The Euro/Canadian see it .

The difference at 500 over the last 2 days have been impressive

Last nights Euro  VVs all the way into E Canada , so I think that has more room to come W.

Wave 2 is too far to look at .

Happy New Year to you also. The most impressive feature on the map this week is the very strong  -EPO drop. But the ensembles 

continue the theme of not much help from the AO as a piece of the stubborn vortex remains there. Any blocking on the Atlantic

side looks east based. After a mild start to the month, temps cool off for several days before they recover near of after day 10

closer to normal or maybe above.

eps_z500a_nh_21.png

eps_z500a_nh_41.png

16 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Happy New Year to you also. The most impressive feature on the map this week is the very strong  -EPO drop. But the ensembles 

continue the theme of not much help from the AO as a piece of the stubborn vortex remains there. Any blocking on the Atlantic

side looks east based. After a mild start to the month, temps cool off for several days before they recover near of after day 10

closer to normal or maybe above.

eps_z500a_nh_21.png

eps_z500a_nh_41.png

Happy New Year Chris , 

Day 11 12 13 are BN at 2M  on the GEFS and the ridge is gone .

It should be .

Day 10 Euro is N with another HP pushing back thru the UMW.

I am not even sure that day 10 ridge is even there , but its gone 11 thru 13 on the GFS.

Archived