joxey
January 2017 Discussion & Observations

dmillz25

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

IMO, right where we want it 6 days out 

I remember PDII was slated to bd a DC hit 48 hours out because of the high pressing down and then BINGO... Dont want to be bullseye this far out...we have cold and we have a chance..let's wait and watch.

Couple of quick thoughts...

In La Niña winters, models will trend west with time. I would not be surprised to eventually see models cutting this system through NJ or PA; some of GEF members last night were showing such a scenario.

Remember to question extremes...a 4-8 in snowstorm for the N. Mid Atlantic is much more likely than a historic southern snowstorm on average.

Rapid rise in the AO and NAO normally points towards a significant EC precipitation event.

3 minutes ago, NortheastPAWx said:

Trying to use the GFS against Dr. No is like bringing a knife to WW3.

Euro isnt very dominant anymore. The issue is that the Euro focuses more on wave 1 . Gfs focuses on wave 2. Gfs has been doing very well lately and has been beating the euro.

17 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

Euro isnt very dominant anymore. The issue is that the Euro focuses more on wave 1 . Gfs focuses on wave 2. Gfs has been doing very well lately and has been beating the euro.

Its verification numbers as a whole are great but when it comes to significant storm systems I've found its had suppression problems at times since the upgrade in February.  Its not all the time, but many times.  The January blizzard when it was running as the Parallel Euro still it had NYC barely getting 5 inches 48 hours out when most other models were already correcting north.  The UKMET being flat too though makes me feel the Euro idea may be more reality at the moment.  The last 2 winters the UKMET has consistently caught onto systems being more amped in the 96-144 hour range better than any other model.

Archived