Newest Member
    joxey
January 2017 Discussion & Observations

dmillz25

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Eduardo said:

Also some last-minute PNA help on that one too if I remember correctly?

I think remember a northern stream s/w that came flying down at just the right time to phase with a vigorous southern stream s/w.  The ridge out west improved a little every run for 48hrs prior.

6 minutes ago, mimillman said:

I actually recall the 18z NAM as the first to catch on. By 00z, every major model was locked in on the blizzard.

The 12Z GFS was, the Euro then sort of moved west and the 18Z NAM came way west.  Ncep wasn't buying it though because they said initialization issues with the gfs may have impacted other models too and that 00Z would be the first error free runs  

4 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

15/18 (83%) occurred with a PNA>0. None during this period occurred with an AO+/PNA-.

I wonder how many had a loading pattern with more of a neutral or even - pna a few days before the storm? Seems like we often get that pna spike (which makes sense as the trough deepens in the east) before the storm. 

10 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

15/18 (83%) occurred with a PNA>0. None during this period occurred with an AO+/PNA-. On a statistical basis, the odds of a 6" or greater snowstorm with an AO+/PNA- are low, but not zero. There were two very close calls in the sample.

Amazing stuff. Thanks

11 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

15/18 (83%) occurred with a PNA>0. None during this period occurred with an AO+/PNA-. On a statistical basis, the odds of a 6" or greater snowstorm with an AO+/PNA- are low, but not zero. There were two very close calls in the sample.

Thanks a bunch Don. This kind of stuff is invaluable. 

10 minutes ago, BxEngine said:

I wonder how many had a loading pattern with more of a neutral or even - pna a few days before the storm? Seems like we often get that pna spike (which makes sense as the trough deepens in the east) before the storm. 

For the January cases, only 2/18. One of the PNA- cases had been preceded by a period of PNA+. None of the PNA+ cases were preceded by a PNA-.

Archived