joxey
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2017

buckeyefan1

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, packbacker said:

I sure as heck don't.

I am a little disappointed though...I thought we would be warmer then this.  Still hoping NC can get into that +6 to +9 range, places in the deep south are kicking our butts.

7dTDeptUS.png

MonthTDeptUS.png

that shouldn't be hard to do, seems like us snow lovers keep fighting the warm temps.

2 hours ago, SnowGoose69 said:

I still wouldn't sleep on the system getting buried in the Gulf in 6-7 days.  The models love showing that and usually the end result is either the system never makes it out of Mexico or Texas or it ends up way further north.  

To bad that system comes crashing into the NW as it stunts the pac ridge and kicks everything east.

gfs_z500_vort_us_27.png

I had pretty much thrown in the towel with the modeling trending east and less amplified with the E U.S. trough.  Now they have come back west a bit with a couple of possibilities for something to work, though low chance...1) there is enough ridge/trough amplification far enough west to allow a low to come out of the gulf (which snowgoose mentioned to watch)...or 2) a northern stream clipper system.  Temps aren't especially cold for either scenario

8 of the 20 GFS Ens members from 12z have a low coming out of the gulf.  Also, the 12z Canadian Ens mean has decent precip along the SE coast....and the UKMet is diving well south into AR/LA at 144 (though maybe not sharp enough).

Canadian Ens Mean is later in timeframe than the UKMet...

16gbedx.gif

UKMet at 144...

33yiz6c.gif

That's a classic throwback post from Cheez right there!  Dr. No dagger post! 

Euro does get precip up to Jacksonville this run with a sfc low running thru S FL into the N Bahamas, lol.  FYI, the GFS Ens member with the big storm (e16) drops the northern stream wave due south, deep into Texas as opposed to AR/LA.  Some others aren't that far west, but do sharpen the wave over the SE and have the gulf low.

From RAH (grasping at anything I can find):

Behind this lead front, temperatures will cool to more seasonable/
average levels for the end of the week and weekend. The positive
tilt configuration of the trough aloft will cause surface high
pressure to sprawl into the SErn U.S. and suppress any additional
precipitation chances until Sun-Mon, at which time a Nrn stream
shortwave trough in NW flow aloft will amplify into the Middle
Atlantic region and possibly support some degree of cyclogenesis
over the Wrn Atlantic. At this time, it appears that a generally dry
reinforcing cold frontal passage will result for our region, though
the prospects of nearby coastal cyclogenesis will be worth
watching in the coming days.

43 minutes ago, FallsLake said:

From RAH (grasping at anything I can find):

Behind this lead front, temperatures will cool to more seasonable/
average levels for the end of the week and weekend. The positive
tilt configuration of the trough aloft will cause surface high
pressure to sprawl into the SErn U.S. and suppress any additional
precipitation chances until Sun-Mon, at which time a Nrn stream
shortwave trough in NW flow aloft will amplify into the Middle
Atlantic region and possibly support some degree of cyclogenesis
over the Wrn Atlantic. At this time, it appears that a generally dry
reinforcing cold frontal passage will result for our region, though
the prospects of nearby coastal cyclogenesis will be worth
watching in the coming days.

I like systems that are progged to miss/develop too far east several days out....especially in Nina years (or Nina pretenders like this year).  Woot Woot! :snowman::snowing: :)

43 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

I like systems that are progged to miss/develop too far east several days out....especially in Nina years (or Nina pretenders like this year).  Woot Woot! :snowman::snowing: :)

Yes, If we're ever to get snow "surprises" they generally tend to come from progs similar to this 

If that gulf low (per 06z Para) tracks a little further west on the 30th we could be looking at a solid CAD event. Assuming the HP isn't halfway to Portugal at that point in time. It's a reach but it's something to watch! It seems like back in the early to mid 2000's we had a lot of storms creep up out of the gulf in mid winter that were initially supposed to stay suppressed and to our east. I can remember Dale Gilbert coming on TV 24 hours before a storm and surprising everyone with a solid CAD event.

4 minutes ago, JoshM said:

18z @ 222 looks OK, rain verbatim for NC, but 850s look good. Surface temps mid to upper 30s <_<

12z Para run was better than 18z with a decent clipper...sfc low develops near Wilmington and runs up the NC coast.  Neither one got a low coming out of the gulf though like some of the 12z members.

2 minutes ago, griteater said:

12z Para run was better than 18z with a decent clipper...sfc low develops near Wilmington and runs up the NC coast.  Neither one got a low coming out of the gulf though like some of the 12z members.

Without a HP up north, I'm nervous about any events, regardless of 850s.

Archived