Newest Member
    joxey
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2017

buckeyefan1

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, WarmNose said:

Are we not going to talk about how this bomb makes a bee-line straight at a pair of 1045+ HP's? Yeah right

I think JetStreamRider was referring to it in his/her post. 

Although I am intensely interested in the weather I have not had much of an opportunity to learn about synoptic scale meteorology.  I gather from you guys' post that storm systems do not generally go towards high pressure zones?

35 minutes ago, CaryWx said:

1060 HP!  Do Polar Bears come with that?

For one who is learning, it appears from you guys' comments that 1060 hPa is exceptional. 

Can someone give me an idea of relative scale on cold air mass MSLP.  Say something indicative of a nice 4 F cool day vs January 1985?

4 hours ago, cbmclean said:

For one who is learning, it appears from you guys' comments that 1060 hPa is exceptional. 

Can someone give me an idea of relative scale on cold air mass MSLP.  Say something indicative of a nice 4 F cool day vs January 1985?

The high that gave the January 1985 episode was 1048, so....

http://www.weather.gov/mhx/Jan211985EventReview

6z GFS continues to show the colder solution for Christmas Eve/Day. High temps look to be in the 40s for a large part of the SE on the 24th and then only in the 30s for the 25th. That will make it feel like Christmas. Still very little snow; but just two runs earlier we were still looking at 60s for highs. There could be something that pops at the last minute. The 0z and 6z try to get something going but it looks more like cold chasing precip; which we all know how that tends to work out. But still something for us to keep an eye on in the coming days.

24 hour snowfall for 6z on the 26th:

aaaa.bmp.png

6z nam showing the possibility of some flakes or mix near the NC/VA during the day of the 21st. Quick moving system limited moisture.  Not the best environment for CAA but there is a modest ridge axis to north with a northerly wind.  Even looking at older runs temps look marginal and will be mainly moisture/rate dependent.

15 minutes ago, FLweather said:

6z nam showing the possibility of some flakes or mix near the NC/VA during the day of the 21st. Quick moving system limited moisture.  Not the best environment for CAA but there is a modest ridge axis to north with a northerly wind.  Even looking at older runs temps look marginal and will be mainly moisture/rate dependent.

A weak CAD comes in for that time period. Hopefully that will temper (down) the advertised warm week for some.  

51 minutes ago, FallsLake said:

A weak CAD comes in for that time period. Hopefully that will temper (down) the advertised warm week for some.  

Something to watch for.  Interesting soundings out of Roxboro NC.  Marginal 850 temps and BL temps. Pretty close to a snow sounding.  Warm nose @ same time frame @ 800-700mb for Durham.  Pretty close to an all sleet sounding. First sounding is Roxboro 2nd is Durham. Other than that expect wild flucations on the models still.  

Screenshot_20171218-073950.png

Screenshot_20171218-074037.png

Went to bed last night with nothing interesting in the next week or so.  Looked at my I Phone this morning when I woke up and it shows a snowflake (No not a Tarheel fan) for next Wednesday.  Pattern reminds me a lot of the couple of weeks leading up to the January 87 event.  Rainy and warm the week before.  Monster high coming down from the Dakotas the following week with a Miller crossing northern Florida on the heels of a strong cold front.  GSP never mentioned the possibility of a snowstorm until 36 hours before the event.  After 10" of snow it was brutally cold for weeks.  Would love to see one more storm like that one in my lifetime.  

44 minutes ago, BornAgain13 said:

0z Euro has the dreaded 60s and 70s Christmas Eve and Day... but it does have a nice ice event a few days after Christmas... hopefully we will see the 12z swing to a colder Christmas today.

Yeah, we need to think the GFS is an outlier right now. Hope not, but with most models still showing the warmer scenario you have to lean towards them (for now).  

44 minutes ago, FLweather said:

Something to watch for.  Interesting soundings out of Roxboro NC.  Marginal 850 temps and BL temps. Pretty close to a snow sounding.  Warm nose @ same time frame @ 800-700mb for Durham.  Pretty close to an all sleet sounding. First sounding is Roxboro 2nd is Durham. Other than that expect wild flucations on the models still.  

Could be... Here's the 6z NAM showing a little love for folks on the NC / Virginia line:

aaaa.bmp.png

5 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

I was going to do an index thing this morning, but since they all looked like barf, I changed my mind.

We don't need to see the stinking images! The cold is coming, then the snow and ice! Prepare for glory, RAH will look like a winter wonderland by the first week of January 

11 minutes ago, FallsLake said:

EPO is on our side. That has saved us in years past. 

It may keep us from torching, but it seems like when we have to rely solely on the EPO, we end up with sloppy winter weather events most of the time.  Not saying we can't snow, but we get more of those ice to rain events or mixed back coastal transfer things.  But that's infinitely better than nothing, so we'll take what we can get. :)

14 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

We don't need to see the stinking images! The cold is coming, then the snow and ice! Prepare for glory, RAH will look like a winter wonderland by the first week of January 

Like a Mack and Pack winter wonderland, where the landscape shimmers with the majestic brilliance of fresh fallen preemergent?

7 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

Like a Mack and Pack winter wonderland, where the landscape shimmers with the majestic brilliance of fresh fallen preemergent?

Or rain! That puts a certain shiny look on outdoor decorations! I need rain still, so I'm looking forward to the warm, wet well coming up and 3" of rain by Thursday! Then I'm ready for Arctic- geddon! 

21 hours ago, NCSNOW said:

RDU has been at or below normal for 10 straight days. Streak could possibly end today, definitely MON -WED this week.

-2.1 so far for December. Should see some much below normal week of Christmas as the month winds down and avg a tick below normal for the second month in a row. 

"Bet the streak" lol

Yesterday made it 11 straight. Clouds are hanging tough today. Don't see how the streak survives next 2-3 days in addition to probably next Sun. Well see , but it's been a good run and enjoyable to not be getting mosquitoe bites like the past 2 Decembers.

-2.2 and despite the break from the Cold this week, we will end Up BN for second month in a row, thanks to the pipe busting Cold  coming down next week.

Archived